Can crest white strips damage your teeth? Watch

AshJames
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So, a few months ago I ordered some supreme crest white strips from america to whiten my teeth. They worked wonders! However, I want my teeth to be whiter, so can I order another weeks worth and use them? Can they damage your teeth in anyway? They have hydrogen peroxide on the strips.
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They obviously don't do wonders to your enamel...
AshJames
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
OK, well can you elaborate? Is this certain?
moneyballs2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They are not available in the UK due to them having higher than the legal limit of Hydrogen Peroxide on them... So they are obviously banned for a reason... But loads of people have been commenting on them and have good things to say...
Em_maK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
they probably aren't that great for them, but as long as you take care and don't have sensitive/bad teeth anyway...maybe use an enamel building toothpaste/don't leave them on for long...

I might get some when I go to america in the summer, my teeth really need to be whiter!
Gren1TI
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Em_maK)
they probably aren't that great for them, but as long as you take care and don't have sensitive/bad teeth anyway...maybe use an enamel building toothpaste/don't leave them on for long...

I might get some when I go to america in the summer, my teeth really need to be whiter!
There is no such thing! All enamel building or repairing claims made by over the counter products are lies and many companies are being taken to court and fined over misleading claims of 'repairing enamel' - even big names including Arm and Hammer - for their 'liquid calcium' toothpaste!

Basically, what I'm saying is when enamel goes, it's gone unless you have £1000s for fake stuff to be bonded by dentists, and that too is not real enamel but a synthetic gum - nowhere near as good as the real stuff God gave us.

So use the product with caution, for the bare minimum time and very rarely, once a year max. I would say, maybe before a big holiday or going to a new college. Do not use it every month like some people do, they will see their fate in years to come.

Hope this helps, and take good care of your teeth!
Em_maK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oh lol I would never use them every month!

would end up like this
Anonymous #1
Report 10 years ago
Teeth whitening gels (and strips) contain a peroxide base that breaks down into water and oxygen. The gel can penetrate the enamel and dentine and the oxygen released bleaches stains to a white colour. The enamel and dentine are NOT damaged in any way - this has been proven in multiple scientific studies.
The problems that can occur with tooth whitening are sensitivity and irritation of the gums, however both are temporary.

Teeth whitening gels containing more than 0.1% hydrogen peroxide (which does nothing) are not currently legal in the UK and EU but this is due to change to 6% hydrogen peroxide and 18% carbamide peroxide. However, if tooth whitening gels containing higher amounts than this (including Crest Whitestrips) are available in the USA which has one of most stringent Food and Drug licensing bodies in the world and they deem them safe, and they have been sold for over a decade I can't see why the law should be any different here?

Source: I'm a dental student.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise