Feeling really lonely and sad on a gap year Watch

setarexhx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
any recommendations on what I can do? I live in a very small town that hasn’t got much to offer. I work full time, 5 days a week and sometimes even 6 so that kind of distracts me from the loneliness but on weekends I’m finding myself being really sad and lonely. My 1 friend isn’t in the country most of the time so I can’t hang out with her. Also, I can’t travel yet as i am still waiting for my British passport to come through
NotoriousAJ
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Take up a new hobby
ineedthreeAs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Watch a series until your passport comes
Discrepancy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Volunteer during the weekends
Go clubbing
Go gym
Take a new hobby up
Join a class
JammieDodger27
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Shish_bish
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Same though work 5 days and can't travel because wasting money wasn't part of the plan. Basically broke
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Shish_bish)
Same though work 5 days and can't travel because wasting money wasn't part of the plan. Basically broke
can you chat online with your friend?
what about making new friends? do you meet any new people?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
small town means you're in a rural place - can you go walking safely, or cycling? you may need good boots/waterproof clothing but that's it
Shish_bish
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
can you chat online with your friend?
what about making new friends? do you meet any new people?
Yap, she went to Swansea uni, we do face time like once every week.

Making new friends? Humans are weird creatures; I’ve tried and can't seem to understand them. It's like I missed that life lesson. And am introvert, that's the big issue, I get drained by human interaction. Though once in a while I’ll need it but not everyday.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
do you have a library where you can find a good book? it's free and wonderful (a bit like walking but less outdoors)
setarexhx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Shish_bish)
I’m in the exact same situation. Basically working all the time to save up money for uni and trying to spend the minimum
GeolPhysics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Go on Facebook and message everyone. That's how I found my friends. I can hang out with a friend once a month because of Facebook. Did this since 2018.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GeolPhysics)
Go on Facebook and message everyone. That's how I found my friends. I can hang out with a friend once a month because of Facebook. Did this since 2018.
Very glad this worked for you - but the evidence (see chart in the link) suggests that social media causes more mental health problems including anxiety depression and loneliness although people EXPECT it to provide emotional support.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...t-want-you-see
GeolPhysics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Very glad this worked for you - but the evidence (see chart in the link) suggests that social media causes more mental health problems including anxiety depression and loneliness although people EXPECT it to provide emotional support.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...t-want-you-see
I have a mental health condition but still use it. The only other thing I can suggest is using a make friends app you can get for free on Google Play. You can chat to local people and make friends that way. Haven't tried that method yet but may do it one day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (138)
54.12%
18-20 years old (no) (31)
12.16%
20-25 years old (yes) (40)
15.69%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.57%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.06%