Manchester. What to do? Watch

Noctilux
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Am going to Manchester for a day with the gf soon.

I know it a bit, but was hoping I could get some insider info on what's good to do there.

Cultural activities (museums, etc - a photography gallery would be especially cool?), or just anything that it is worth doing with 12 hours in the city.

Hit me! :cool:

Thanks.
Kater Murr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Shopping.

What else?
Faint_x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
TRAFFORD CENTRE SHOPPING! hehe
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Tram out to Salford Quays, maybe?
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The city centre is easy to check out, being quite compact. Check out the nothern quarter(night and day cafe is good) and the locks. Could also check out Didsbury a nice villagey suburb.
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Come to the Trafford Centre and I can give you discounts on perfumes from Debenhams

But yeah shopping and more shopping and Shisha if you like it
pcok
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Traffod Centre is mint. For something to eat, go to the Printworks in the city centre. For shopping, go to the centre, Picadilly Gardens. You could get the tram to Salford Quays, nice place to explore, and the Lowry Centre's quite cool sometimes. Ooh and they have the best EVER shop in the mall - Buddabag. Go there, trust me! Loads of nice cinemas in Manchester. Are you a Utd fan? Cos you could get a tram to Old Trafford and look round there, do the tour and stuff. That might not sound like something you'd want to do with you girlfriend, but I'm a girl and I've been there loads of times.

Are you into clubbing? Birdcage is an amazing club, and if you're into hip hop, Lounge 31 is great and open until 6am. These are in and opposite the printworks.

There's loads more to do, what sort of things were you thinking?
pcok
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin2K8)
Come to the Trafford Centre and I can give you discounts on perfumes from Debenhams

:eek: You didn't say that to me...
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pcok)
Traffod Centre is mint. For something to eat, go to the Printworks in the city centre. For shopping, go to the centre, Picadilly Gardens. You could get the tram to Salford Quays, nice place to explore, and the Lowry Centre's quite cool sometimes. Ooh and they have the best EVER shop in the mall - Buddabag. Go there, trust me! Loads of nice cinemas in Manchester. Are you a Utd fan? Cos you could get a tram to Old Trafford and look round there, do the tour and stuff. That might not sound like something you'd want to do with you girlfriend, but I'm a girl and I've been there loads of times.

There's loads more to do, what sort of things were you thinking?
Printworks rocks
Say what :confused:
pcok
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Printworks rocks
Say what :confused:
Discount on perfumes. Lol I was only messing btw.
balloon_parade
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is a million things to do!

Go see the body worlds exhibit at the Science and Industry museum :

http://www.msim.org.uk/whats-on/body-worlds-4

Shopping in the: centre, Trafford Centre, Lowry Outlet Centre,

Manchester Museum, Whitworth Art Gallery,

The big wheel!

There is seriously loads, really recommended the bodyworlds exhibit!
Noctilux
Rep:
?

Awesome, shisha - where?

Like some of the ideas so far. Thanks for the replies - keep em coming!
izaldo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Noctilux)
Am going to Manchester for a day with the gf soon.

I know it a bit, but was hoping I could get some insider info on what's good to do there.

Cultural activities (museums, etc - a photography gallery would be especially cool?), or just anything that it is worth doing with 12 hours in the city.

Hit me! :cool:

Thanks.
Culture is 35 miles west

There is plenty to enjoy in Manc though, it's a modern city shops, clubs, bars etc are plentiful.
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pcok)
Discount on perfumes. Lol I was only messing btw.
I would give them free, I got dozens and dozens of them at home as I get them as freebies either from last seasons stock or just unsold stuff

We should hook up sometime lol I'm sure you'd like to revisit Rusholme to reunite with your year 10 days :p: but the Shisha cafes have gone underground now due to the smoking ban
Noctilux
Rep:
?
(Original post by balloon_parade)
There is a million things to do!

Go see the body worlds exhibit at the Science and Industry museum :

http://www.msim.org.uk/whats-on/body-worlds-4

Shopping in the: centre, Trafford Centre, Lowry Outlet Centre,

Manchester Museum, Whitworth Art Gallery,

The big wheel!

There is seriously loads, really recommended the bodyworlds exhibit!
Looks fantastic! Thanks!
PoisonDonna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would recommended City Centre over the Trafford Centre for shopping, especially as you're there for the day, pointless trekking all the way out to Trafford Centre when you have all the shops in the city centre and they're bigger versions.

There is the Manchester Museum on Oxford Road which is smack bang in the middle of the uni campus and free, I think. About 20 mins walk from Picadilly, 10 min from Oxford Road Station.

There's also the Museum of Science and Industry down Deansgate way (not far from the shops) which has a REALLY cool bodyworks exhibition on now.

There's a few art galleries in Manc, check the website of the main one for info.

Trip out to Salford Quays as someone mentioned would be not bad. There's the Lowry things there and you could eat while there.

If you're planning on going to museums and the like take a google map, Manc City Centre is easy and compact to get around but it will save you time wandering around.
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Noctilux)
Awesome, shisha - where?

Like some of the ideas so far. Thanks for the replies - keep em coming!
Well there are quite a few near where I live which isnt too far from the City centre but now they are outside as the cafes have been closed but there are still a fair few about
allieRAWR!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Affelcks palace, full of 14 year old emos but it's worth seeing, if only for once. Around that area there's a few shops too, not at busy as the arndale and the sell more kitsch and alternative stuff.

Maybe go to Beech Road in Chorlton and have a wonder round there. Nice shops and a nice area. Central chorlton isn't really anything out of the ordinary, not worth prioritising.
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
catch a train to birmingham
OnlyMe!
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would give them free, I got dozens and dozens of them at home as I get them as freebies either from last seasons stock or just unsold stuff
Don't be surprised if you get a visit from me next time I'm in Manchester! :p: A discount will do. Not fussy really :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads