Can you join any university without applying for them on ucas Watch

yali12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey guys so I’m massively stuck in weather I should choose computer science or law as a degree. On my current ucas applications I’m applying for computer science however if I was decide on doing law on results day 2020 could I call up a university I haven’t applied for and ask to join them. Because I wanted to join warrick for law but I’m not so confident if I can get those grades right now. Say on my ucas application I applied for 5 different unis for computer science could I call up warrick and ask to join the law degree if I got AAA on results day
CameronWS
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I see what you mean. You could theoretically do what you're doing now and go through clearing? https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/r.../what-clearing

However, that hopes that there's spaces left in clearing for Law at Warwick.
Breeee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, you can.

I didnt use ucas at all to go to uni
quirky editor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Breeee)
Yes, you can.

I didnt use ucas at all to go to uni
Record of prior acceptance?
U33B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, you have to go through ucas for undergrad courses. Only master courses can be applied directly through university. It depends on the university if they have any spaces available. There is something called clearing where if you are rejected by or don`t accept the offers from all the unis you applied to, then ucas calls different unis across the country to see whether they have any spaces available for your chosen course. You can ring around but they`ll do the hard work for you. If you reject the uni they chose for you or if there is no space available at any uni then they might find alternative similar courses for you from unis across the country. If you then reject the course, they found for you or there is no space available, then unfortunately you will have to wait and apply the following year.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All undergraduate programmes at Warwick are applied to via UCAS, and their Law programme wasn’t in Clearing in 2019. So don’t make any plans on being able to do this.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't most universities require the LNAT for Law?
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Don't most universities require the LNAT for Law?
No only a few of them like Durham oxford Bristol and there’s other ones
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by yali12)
Hey guys so I’m massively stuck in weather I should choose computer science or law as a degree. On my current ucas applications I’m applying for computer science however if I was decide on doing law on results day 2020 could I call up a university I haven’t applied for and ask to join them. Because I wanted to join warrick for law but I’m not so confident if I can get those grades right now. Say on my ucas application I applied for 5 different unis for computer science could I call up warrick and ask to join the law degree if I got AAA on results day
Ucas is the only route to apply for the vast majority of uk full time undergrad degrees.

Some universities accept direct applications for part time or below degree courses and a few accept applications directly or via the common app if you’re an international student.

Clearing is part of ucas. You can’t get a place through clearing without giving up any offers and any clearing university will see your current PS (and previous choices).

If you’re not sure then plan in a gap year so you can reapply if you get the grades.
Breeee
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by quirky editor)
Record of prior acceptance?
Nope
Dancer2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you have to apply via UCAS then not accept any offers. This automatically puts you in clearing on results day, then you can phone unis and ask about law places. I don’t think you have to do anything else.
You could alternatively accept some low offers then go into adjustment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Nov '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
69.7%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
10.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed