The Student Room Group

Cie science help!!

Im a priv candidate for CIE bio chem and eng lit and for bio and chem there are practicals - I don't understand how these are sat? Do I have to memorise practicals? I was told I have to do 8 practicals minimum, but I thought paper 3 was a practical paper, so do I have to do the 8 practicals in paper 3 or separately? Im so confused :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Ciel_
Im a priv candidate for CIE bio chem and eng lit and for bio and chem there are practicals - I don't understand how these are sat? Do I have to memorise practicals? I was told I have to do 8 practicals minimum, but I thought paper 3 was a practical paper, so do I have to do the 8 practicals in paper 3 or separately? Im so confused :frown:

Hey.. I am assuming that you are talking about As level and you are doing paper 3 ( Advanced Practical skills) . So basically for Chem and Bio the practical paper usually contain 3 questions and you do not have to perform 8 practicals. You should check out the specifications for each subject and look what can they test you on. the code number for chem is 9701 and for bio it is 9700 , go through some practicals paper yourself to see how it is designed, and ya you have to physically perform the practicals.
Reply 2
Original post by Al8y
Hey.. I am assuming that you are talking about As level and you are doing paper 3 ( Advanced Practical skills) . So basically for Chem and Bio the practical paper usually contain 3 questions and you do not have to perform 8 practicals. You should check out the specifications for each subject and look what can they test you on. the code number for chem is 9701 and for bio it is 9700 , go through some practicals paper yourself to see how it is designed, and ya you have to physically perform the practicals.

Oh sorry Im doing both AS and A level and the center head told me I will have 5 papers for chem and 5 for bio + 8 practicals for each?
Reply 3
Original post by Ciel_
Oh sorry Im doing both AS and A level and the center head told me I will have 5 papers for chem and 5 for bio + 8 practicals for each?

so in As you will do 3 papers. Paper 2 which is theory, paper 1 which is mcqs and paper 3 which is practicals. In A level , you will do 2 papers. Paper 4 which is theory and paper 5 which is Alternative to practicals. I am not sure about what they meant by 8+ practicals but you can look for all the papers yourself. You can visit papacambridge.com, this website has all the past papers for As and A level chem and bio.
Reply 4
Original post by Ciel_

What I think is that they are telling you to attend 8+ classes for As practicals because you cannot practice for practicals at home.. you need to have lab equipments and other stuff. Sorry for not helping you properly.
Reply 5
Original post by Ciel_

So i did my As last year and i gave 1 practical paper for chem and bio which was 2 hours long and thats it. This year i am doing my A level and i will give 1 practical paper which will be 1 hour 15 mins long

Quick Reply

Latest