Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
one of my lecturers normally puts the lectures up on my uni website on Friday evening and our lectures are on the Monday after. The problem is because my uni printing is expensive I tell my mum to print the lectures at her work in colour, but the time he puts them up she is already home from work. Is it rude to tell him to put the lectures up a day earlier?
Anonnorth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
one of my lecturers normally puts the lectures up on my uni website on Friday evening and our lectures are on the Monday after. The problem is because my uni printing is expensive I tell my mum to print the lectures at her work in colour, but the time he puts them up she is already home from work. Is it rude to tell him to put the lectures up a day earlier?
It would be very rude to tell him to do that.

You could try asking him instead explaining why you would like him to do that but if he is lecturing he will be very busy himself and might not have time to do it earlier.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah pretty rude, as the lecturer is obv doing the work in their own time so unlikely to change it just for you. And you certainly don't get to tell them what to do in their off time Do you really NEED them in colour?
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s not rude but it is pretty unnecessary.
s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why do you need them printed in colour? Black and white is fine but you don't really need to print them as they're only lecture power points.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can't expect him to change his routine just to cater for one person
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is it rude to tell him to put the lectures up a day earlier?
tell? yes. ask politely? no but good luck
Anonymous #1
Thanks for replying but obviously I'm not going to say to him "Put the lecture up on Thursday thanks", by tell I meant ask more like "Is it ok if you could please put the lecture notes up on a bit earlier because I'm having problems printing"
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
Yeah pretty rude, as the lecturer is obv doing the work in their own time so unlikely to change it just for you. And you certainly don't get to tell them what to do in their off time Do you really NEED them in colour?
Thanks for replying, and I use the lecture notes as a way of revising by annotating them an writing down any extra information then laerning it, so yeah sort of do need them in colour, as we can get asked on the structures of certain molecules and stuff.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by s817)
Why do you need them printed in colour? Black and white is fine but you don't really need to print them as they're only lecture power points.
because do biology so we have pictures of structures of the body to rememmber and they can even ask us to draw it in the exam,
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
You can't expect him to change his routine just to cater for one person
thanks for replying, its not really his routine because he normally uploads on a Friday, once he uploaded on a Thursday and sometimes he uploads on the day or not at all,
Anonymous #1
(Original post by HoldThisL)
tell? yes. ask politely? no but good luck
thanks
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for replying, and I use the lecture notes as a way of revising by annotating them an writing down any extra information then laerning it, so yeah sort of do need them in colour, as we can get asked on the structures of certain molecules and stuff.
No I get why you want them in general. I should be clear, it's one thing to ASK the lecturer if it would be possible to get the slides uploaded earlier in the week to give you more of a chance to print them, it's just that I would expect the reply to be a polite 'no' and saving on printing costs isn't really a good excuse to push it. In any case I would see it a asking for a favour, certainly not something to TELL them to do.

Personally I went with a used but decentish light laptop, can easily carry the whole years worth of material and then copied the material out again onto paper, ideally in advance of the lectures where i would then annotate them as needed, and that included drawing all the wee charts, cells, DNA gubbins ect...as you say, you get asked to express these sort of things graphically anyway, might as well get used to it now. I felt I got far more out of creating my own lecture notes than skimming theirs basically, plus the obv benefit of zero print costs/stress and having to humph all that paper. In terms of colour tbh I just got round it with grey scale well enough, but a pack of coloured pencils is like 99p
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You realise your mother is committing theft by printing off stuff for you
frogglet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
everyone else is managing to print them off with uni printers or some other method. I don't see why you want to make a fuss.
Anonymous #1
shes allowed too
Anonymous #1
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
shes allowed to
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
How is that theft??
Anonymous #1
(Original post by frogglet)
everyone else is managing to print them off with uni printers or some other method. I don't see why you want to make a fuss.
my printer from home doesn't work, printer at uni is 20p per side and he has like 80 slides on his lecture
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
my printer from home doesn't work, printer at uni is 20p per side and he has like 80 slides on his lecture
It's not really his problem tbh. You could get a new printer (they are pretty cheap if you get a bog-standard model), or print at uni but print more slides per page (4, 6 etc.). As another poster said, everyone else copes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?