Childs Hall - Some advice please Watch

dabdob
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello all,

I am not sure if you guys can help, it's more of an advice rather than help, actually.

So, I am already accepted at the Uni of Reading, and today I got a place at "Childs Hall", it was my first option, when I applied. But, now, by looking at few of the pictures, as well as reading some of the negative comments on these forums, I am not quite sure, If I would like to stay there. I heard that it's quite noisy and dirty as well.

So can anyone give me some input about the it please. Is there a website for it that I can check?

I'm thinking of whiteknight, it looks pretty small and cool.

Thanks
WelshRhys
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally I dont like the place, but I didnt live there. Everyone I know who did live there loved it though.

The thing about halls is the place only counts for half of your experience, the people you live with make up the rest and really make the difference.
dabdob
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks, however, I called today and I got moved to Windsor hall.
Scrappy1989
Report 10 years ago
It's a decent hall in a decent surrounding. Also its very near what can only be described as the best chippy in Berkshire so that can only be a positive and has a Subway close by aswell. Very quiet part of the campus.
sell
Report 10 years ago
I envy you..I still havent got info about in which hall I'm in :/
Kat027
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi im going into my 3rd year at Reading so have seen pretty much all the halls first hand. I personal lived in Childs in my first year.
When i first moved into childs i was shocked im not going to lie, i was really shocked at the state of the place. However once you put your stuff in the room, some posters on the wall it becomes your room and not the cell it first look like when you walk in. Th showers arnt amazing but they work and are clean (depending who you live with) and well how long do you really spend in the bathrooms for it to really matter. If your in Childs then your cater for. Well good luck on that one. everything else about the halls is great you meet loads of people and so get a great social life!! That in my eyes counts for more then a brand new bathroom or kitchin!!!
Now childs compared to alot of the hall is avarage. Its not any worse then Bridges or Windsor. There all pretty scabby but like i said compared to the social life you will get does it really matter??? St Georges however is an amazin hall really fancy and new...HOWEVER due to its newness the locks work and so you cant be socialble and see people in other units/floors. So you only really meet thoughs around u.This could become a problem should you not see eye to eye with people!!

Also can i just add that student housing isnt that fancy, yes there are really nice houses but there some pretty average ones to. So get use to somthing a lil older and u see so many more houses!!!!

hope i helped!!!
bizzbusta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kat027)
Hi im going into my 3rd year at Reading so have seen pretty much all the halls first hand. I personal lived in Childs in my first year.
When i first moved into childs i was shocked im not going to lie, i was really shocked at the state of the place. However once you put your stuff in the room, some posters on the wall it becomes your room and not the cell it first look like when you walk in. Th showers arnt amazing but they work and are clean (depending who you live with) and well how long do you really spend in the bathrooms for it to really matter. If your in Childs then your cater for. Well good luck on that one. everything else about the halls is great you meet loads of people and so get a great social life!! That in my eyes counts for more then a brand new bathroom or kitchin!!!
Now childs compared to alot of the hall is avarage. Its not any worse then Bridges or Windsor. There all pretty scabby but like i said compared to the social life you will get does it really matter??? St Georges however is an amazin hall really fancy and new...HOWEVER due to its newness the locks work and so you cant be socialble and see people in other units/floors. So you only really meet thoughs around u.This could become a problem should you not see eye to eye with people!!

Also can i just add that student housing isnt that fancy, yes there are really nice houses but there some pretty average ones to. So get use to somthing a lil older and u see so many more houses!!!!

hope i helped!!!
Kaaaaaaaaaaat!! Haha, one piece of advice about Childs... dont go there :P Its all about St Georges... lovely! And the locked doors arent that massive a problem, people prop doors open, or a quick phonecall overcomes that. But yeah like ya say, all halls are amazing once youve been there over a week, even Wells Hall was x
NC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Childs Hall itself is in pretty bad condition put I heard from my friends that it is good socially. Windsor hall is better in condition but probably the same socially. Haven't tried the catered food in either but don't expect much.
valentina.g
Report 10 years ago
hello, I've been offered a room at Childs hall, without wash basing, although I requested an ensuite room at Sherfield hall..:confused:
Can someone tell me how many toilets and showers are there and with how many people you have to share them?
I'm a bit obsessed with cleanliness and I'm not sure what to do if they tell me I can't change room... :confused:
smallvillefan
Report 10 years ago
in the unit i was in there was 3 toilets, 1 shower and two baths to 10 of us (20 in a unit but there were 10 girls and 10 boys in 2 bathrooms) i wasnt looking forward to it but i was surprised by how often the bathroom was empty, i rarely had to queue for the shower (tho i deliberately aimed for obscure times of day!). it was fairly clean...the hair in the drains wasnt too pleasant i just recommend flip flops.

sherfiled is a hall moslty used for mature students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Reading
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Reading
    Master's Lunch Postgraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Reading
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads