This discussion is closed.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Motion of No Confidence in the Speaker

Proposer: SoggyCabbages (Labour)
Seconders: Connor27 (Conservative), LiberOfLondon (Libertarian), The Mogg (Conservative), CountBrandenburg (Conservative)

That this House has no confidence in The Speaker

In his relatively short reign,Speaker Andrew has presided over a disproportionate amount of technical blunders and Guidance Document/Constitutional mistakes.

Prior to his election, it was well documented (And even self-admitted) that Speaker Andrew was technologically incompetent. He spoke with great pride about how he was seemingly (put on or not) unable to do basic tech-related tasks which most of the wider house could do with ease. So it was a surprise when he put himself forward to an administrative role which would require some level of tech nuance.

However, this nuance has not materialised. A quick glance through the ‘Ask the Speaker’ thread throughout his tenure displays starkly how out of his depth he is with even basic speaker duties. Updates are littered with hyperlinking errors, and Bills/Motions are consistently formatted wrong. Using basic BBCode and knowing how to format bills is not a hard concept, even after factoring in the apparent deficiencies with the TSR forum itself.

He has disregarded the Guidance Document when it comes to voting review and unashamedly disregarded the Constitution when it came to sub-forum inactivity. For someone to become speaker they really need to have been established in the house for a while and have a vast understanding of the documents that rule it. Most people prior to Andrew’s election would not have thought so.

Most recently he decided to, and without consultation with the proposer, deem a bill as a ‘joke bill’ because he did not agree with how it was written. This decision was made out of a baseless argument that had no real Constitutional or Guidance Document backing. Even after the author’s protest that it wasn’t a joke bill, he still refused to reverse his decision.

Speaker Andrew was not anyone's real desired candidate, it was basically a choice between Aph and him, which is like choosing the lesser of two evils.

I commend this motion to the house

To clarify, a vote in favour of this motion is a vote against Andrew and vice versa.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
An easy NO. I hope anyone else with sense will also oppose this motion.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I encourage members to vote Nay towards this motion to remove me, half of the motion relates towards technological ability which is not relevant as I still posses the skills needed to be Speaker and I feel I have covered the decisions outlined in the second half of the motion numerous times. It should be noted that the bill that I deemed to not be serious that caused all this has since been withdrawn.

I am nonetheless still happy to take questions during the voting process.

Spoiler:
Show
Plus if you remove me, no more dad jokes. 😉. I jest of course.
Last edited by Andrew97; 4 weeks ago
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because of everything I explained in the debate period, I've decided to Abstain.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have voted no to the motion, as I indicated in the debate.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have voted to retain the current Speaker. After reading the debate i do not consider his technical difficulties and a single decision that i disagreed with to be sufficient cause for removal.
Glaz
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Obviously nay. Anyone with half a brain cell should vote nay too
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I have voted no to the motion, as I indicated in the debate.
(Original post by Rakas21)
I have voted to retain the current Speaker. After reading the debate i do not consider his technical difficulties and a single decision that i disagreed with to be sufficient cause for removal.
(Original post by Glaz)
Obviously nay. Anyone with half a brain cell should vote nay too
Thanks for the support all.
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I will be voting no and encourage all to vote the same way. The speaker has been doing a good job!
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JMR2019.)
I will be voting no and encourage all to vote the same way. The speaker has been doing a good job!
Thank you for the support. 😊
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I will be voting nay too
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Andrew has my full support
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I voted no and hope Speaker Andrew will show his appreciation by using Madame X as his avatar for 2 weeks.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
well this seems to be going well for Connor...
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As I said in the debate, a strong no from me - a ridiculous motion with no real basis, at least in my view.
Glaz
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
:ditto:
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
I will be voting nay too
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Andrew has my full support
(Original post by shadowdweller)
As I said in the debate, a strong no from me - a ridiculous motion with no real basis, at least in my view.
Thanks for the support you 3.

(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
I voted no and hope Speaker Andrew will show his appreciation by using Madame X as his avatar for 2 weeks.
😛😉. You’ll see my friend.
Bailey14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I will vote against this motion.
The Speaker, Andrew97 has my full support.
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye.
abucha3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have voted to retain the current Speaker; he has my full support.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (5)
20%
Unconditional if firmed (1)
4%
Unconditional if insurance (0)
0%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (0)
0%
No unconditional offers (19)
76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed