The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Raja12
yoo I got similar GCSE grades as urs and will be applying for dentistry, but am scared that might get rejected.

Same im scared my gcses will get me rejected with having a B in maths gcse :/ Im trying to make up for it in other ares such as work exp though
Reply 21
Original post by Deborah247
I got an A in bio and chem and I got a B in psychology (aiming for an A-A* but I’ll be happy with an A)

Which unis are you thinking of applying to?

I managed to arrange one week of work experience at a dental practice in the summer (they said I can’t do more than one week over there unfortunately :frown:). How many weeks of dentistry work experience do you think I should do in order to make my application strong?

im thinking of applying to Newcastle( can get Newcastle PARTNERS programme so the entry requirement will be BBB). I meet lots of the eligibility factors on the Partners programme. also, thinking of applying to Leeds through access to Leeds. then, thinking of Queen Mary and Plymouth. I would say do as much as you can, its all about what u learn from the work experience. I did 1 day at a dental practice and learnt so much. imma have to do UCAT and bmat(for leeds). hopefully I get in to Newcastle as I love that university or Queen Mary but my gcse grades might affect my application, so Queen Mary is a risk. I called up loads of dental practices, I spent hours and hours, just put the time and work in
Reply 22
Original post by MFTV
Same im scared my gcses will get me rejected with having a B in maths gcse :/ Im trying to make up for it in other ares such as work exp though

yhhhh that's what im doing too and in my UCAT and bmat too hopefully. why do they even care about GCSEs for, like people come from deprived areas and these lot want all 9s.
Original post by Deborah247
Hey, I’m thinking of applying this year. I’m in Y13 though and taking a gap year so I’ll be finding out my achieved grades this august (hopefully I’ll be able to get three As at once 😅)

How did you guys get work experience? And where are you guys thinking of applying? I’m thinking of applying to Sheffield, Newcastle, Plymouth and QUB (and pls don’t ask for my GCSEs because they aren’t really the best 😂😭)

I'm only in year 12, but in terms of work experience, I got some by calling like literally 40+ practices near me. Luckily one dental practice was willing to take me on. You could email and write letters to the dental practice, but I think the best way to ask would be via a phone call or by asking in person. I hope you achieve the grades that you want in August:h:
Hey, I have 4/4 dentistry offers for 2020. If anyone needs advice on application or interviews pm me.
Hiya, I'm also hoping to apply to dentistry!!
For GCSEs I got five 9s, three 8s and two 7s. I am quite concerned about my A-levels though because of COVID-19. My school is moving to online teaching until September and idk how that's going to go as my wifi at home is so bad, so I will struggle to just join onto my lessons. I have already found the jump up to a-levels from GCSEs quite hard, especially with bio cause I'm doing AQA :frown:
What are you guys doing for volunteering for applications? Mine just got postponed after my first session due to Covid, so I'm quite nervous that it may impact my application. My work experience placements have also been postponed but I am just glad that I did a weeks work experience last year.
Original post by klywi03
I'm only in year 12, but in terms of work experience, I got some by calling like literally 40+ practices near me. Luckily one dental practice was willing to take me on. You could email and write letters to the dental practice, but I think the best way to ask would be via a phone call or by asking in person. I hope you achieve the grades that you want in August:h:

Oh wow, that's commitment if I have ever seen it, best of luck! I am going to start calling dental practices, that's if they're still open haha :smile:
Original post by mufffinnsss
Hey, I have 4/4 dentistry offers for 2020. If anyone needs advice on application or interviews pm me.

Did you get any offers from Manchester or Liverpool?
Reply 28
hey guys,

im in year 12 and will be applying to dentistry this year. I have thought about which uni to go to and will be applying tactically, due to my average GCSE grades when compared with other dental students. I have some 7s and the rest 6s and 5s. I am thinking about applying to Newcastle through the PARTNERS programme, Leeds through A2L , Plymouth University. I will also apply for biomedical or biochemistry as my 5th option. Should I just pick any university for the 4th option, such as Queen Mary? I don't meet there GCSE requirements, so I don't really know what to do? Please let me know guys. Thanks
I suggest contacting them and seeing if there's any wiggle room - however, I doubt they will for a competitive course such as dentistry but it doesn't hurt to try :smile:
Reply 30
hey guys so i’m from the us and we don’t rly have “work experience” here. can anyone possibly explain it to me? how much are you really allowed to do or are u basically just watching the professionals?
Original post by etez3
hey guys so i’m from the us and we don’t rly have “work experience” here. can anyone possibly explain it to me? how much are you really allowed to do or are u basically just watching the professionals?

Hi. So during work experience you just observe the dentist working with patients throughout the day and there is the option to observe different specialties of dentistry. During my work experience I was allowed to use a saliva ejector to help the dentist, however this would depend on the dentist ur shadowing and if they feel comfortable to let u have a go.
Reply 32
ah okay i see thank you!
Reply 33
hey guys. im in year 12 and will be applying to dentistry this year. I had more dentistry work experience coming up and also, hospital experience. I had 3 weeks of dentistry and 2 weeks of hospital work experience coming up, which was due to take place in these April holidays and the summer. here are my work experience list

- 1 week pharmacy
- 1 week dentistry
- 1 week hospital
- 1 week bank(did this back in year 10, was just looking at different careers)

do you guys think universities will accept this?
Original post by Dexter345
Did you get any offers from Manchester or Liverpool?

yes manchester
Hi, so I'm applying for dentistry in 2021 and my work experience got cancelled because of lockdown. I don't have any other dental work experience at all and I'm very worried this will affect my application. Please tell me if you think they will take lockdown into consideration for our work experience. I know they will for aspiring medical students but what about dental applicants. Also, will they also apply this consideration to volunteering. Because mine has been postponed.
(edited 4 years ago)
I am looking to study dentistry next year and I really want to go to Sheffield and Manchester but I am not confident that I will get in at all!
can I please have tips on what they look for in students and what can I do to get in ?
also can someone please share their personal statement for dentistry if they don't mind xx
Original post by malii2222
I am looking to study dentistry next year and I really want to go to Sheffield and Manchester but I am not confident that I will get in at all!
can I please have tips on what they look for in students and what can I do to get in ?
also can someone please share their personal statement for dentistry if they don't mind xx

What A levels are you doing, and what are your GCSEs?
Original post by Dexter345
What A levels are you doing, and what are your GCSEs?

I am doing biology, chemistry and psychology for a levels I haven't gotten my predicted grades because we haven't done mocks yet but my targets are 3 A's
gcse's:
bio 9
chem 8
physics 7
English lang 7
English lit 8
history 9
French 7
business B
maths 7
Original post by mufffinnsss

OMG I would love some help and I would appreciate it so much!!
I want to apply for dentistry this year to Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham and maybe KCL
I am struggling to write my personal statement and would love some help!!!!!!!!!!
also did you get an offer from Sheffield? coz I really want to go to Sheffield

Latest