Going to gigs on your own Watch

thyssen1207
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I was just wondering if anyone has done it before? I've never attended a gig on my own (I usually go with my mates).

Sigur Ros is playing at Wolverhampton Civic, and my mates aren't into them (plus most of them have work/on holidays). I am a die hard fan and I am contemplating seeing them on my own.

On the plus side I'll get the chance to meet new people etc.. but then there are the downsides as well.
nothingspek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I go to some on my own if nobody else wants to, mostly because I photograph them, but I would even if I wasn't photographing. I meet a lot of new people at gigs, and aside from the queue nobody really notices you're on your own anyway
Hannah_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been on my own to concerts before
I have a strange and inexplicable ability of getting onto the front barrier at literally every concert I go to, so I generally lose whoever I'm with in the fray regardless.
x
neon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
men touch me up in clubs and gigs. i need to be near a male friend to protect me
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah go, it's no biggie being on your own, everyones had a bit of ale and is focused on the gig. I've seen some lovely girls on their own at gigs too, might meet someone.

Edit-love how I used 'ale' and 'no biggie' in one sentence. American meets English. lolz.
xBillyBrownx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd never done it before today. It was a bit weird but it's worth it if you like the performer enough. Don't let this stop you, if you want to go just do it. You'll regret it later. You'll have fun anyway cause you'll see a band you like.
Emmska
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've done it.. Its fine as you usually loose your mates anyway.
Cheshire_Tom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I actually prefer it. Even at festivals I go off on my own sometimes lol
thyssen1207
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cheshire_Tom)
I actually prefer it. Even at festivals I go off on my own sometimes lol
Well, I personally think at festivals you've got to have your mates with you.,. but the critical word in that is 'personally'.

My mates are very unreliable when it comes to gigs and festivals, I don't know if they've grown with it or they are just plain lazy. For them, it's all about pubbing and clubbing. Lol.

Although I did contemplate going on my own, and I thought the best route probably was to volunteer as a steward (like one person that I know).
Cherryy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im gonna go to Kanye West on my own, since none of my friends is into that music
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Shouldn't this be moved somewhere else?
fargo89
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I always end up losing my mates in the fray and see them for "Wahey!" glimpes every now and then. It's not a big deal but i like having someone to talk to before whoever comes on.

As for festivals mates are a MUST. It's basically the point.
thyssen1207
Rep:
?
Eff it, I'm GOING!

Lol.
Cheshire_Tom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thyssen1207)
Well, I personally think at festivals you've got to have your mates with you.,. but the critical word in that is 'personally'.

My mates are very unreliable when it comes to gigs and festivals, I don't know if they've grown with it or they are just plain lazy. For them, it's all about pubbing and clubbing. Lol.

Although I did contemplate going on my own, and I thought the best route probably was to volunteer as a steward (like one person that I know).
I know what you mean. I dont go to festivals on my own, i just sometimes break away from my friends once we get there, just for a couple of hours because we all seem to get separated eventually anyway.
I'm going to one tomorrow but there's only 2 of us going so I guess I will stay with them most of the time.
thyssen1207
Rep:
?
(Original post by naivesincerity)
Shouldn't this be moved somewhere else?
I originally posted this in the General Discussion, but someone moved it here. I am surprised myself.
thyssen1207
Rep:
?
I know what you mean. I dont go to festivals on my own, i just sometimes break away from my friends once we get there, just for a couple of hours because we all seem to get separated eventually anyway.
I'm going to one tomorrow but there's only 2 of us going so I guess I will stay with them most of the time.
Yeah festivals are quite a pain. There were three of us, and when the headline act started, we were miles apart from each other because of the moshing and all that.
Cheshire_Tom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thyssen1207)
Yeah festivals are quite a pain. There were three of us, and when the headline act started, we were miles apart from each other because of the moshing and all that.
yeah, some of the others seemed to have an obsession with being on the front row, getting crushed, instead of dancing or singing. I could barely stand up straight so I thought it was best to get out and wander around the other stages.
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I probably wouldn't go to a gig on my own. Not because of embarrassment or anything; I just don't think it'd be very enjoyable.
thyssen1207
Rep:
?
yeah, some of the others seemed to have an obsession with being on the front row, getting crushed, instead of dancing or singing. I could barely stand up straight so I thought it was best to get out and wander around the other stages.
I'm afraid my mates are obsessed with being on the front row, so I became one as well lol. The weird thing is, before the act starts me and my mates are side by side on the front row, then all of a sudden we are about miles apart from each other lol.. My hands were always on my pockets because apparently reviews deem my mobile phone as a fragile one.

The girls in front of me tried to smuggle their other mate in, and being the gentleman and idiot that I am, I gave up my place.. it was sort of a coup d'etat, and I was very pissed off. It was bad enough that that happened, it was another to miss the headline act (The Holloways) as I had to catch the last train back. Bad times!

EDIT: My grammar is *****e, I haven't got sleep.
misswilliams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I went to my first gig (Greenday) alone as none of my friends would come. That was one hell of an experience, and being on my own I managed to invent some friends and get down the front

I say go for it, I sometimes go alone when I'm doing mailing lists for Traffic. It's fun, have a few drinks and randomly talk to people. I even pulled once haha. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (371)
37.29%
No - but I will (75)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (479)
48.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed