Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
hello,

I'm a first year undergraduate student and I started university around two months ago and already I feel like I don't belong.

let me start from the beginning,
before applying for my current university, I took a tour around it to have an idea about the campus life. the university is really nice but I didn't like the people there. I felt like I won't make a lot of friends in here. i applied for this university but I also applied for another one that I really liked but it is in a different country, and since I'm not ready for studying abroad I registered in the one in my country.

since day one I felt like I didn't belong. I'm not that social but I'm not shy either and for example in school I had lots of friends. I didn't make any friends till now in my university. I talked to almost all of the student but I couldn't see myself as a friend to one of them. they are all so different from me.

so now I'm thinking of leaving the university after I finish my first year and transfer to study abroad. the problem is that I might repeat the year and start again as a first year student.

the university I'm currently studying in, in regard to educational matters, is stronger and has a higher ranking than the other one

but I'm so confused..

is it worth it? losing a year just to go to a university with a better social environment? what if my current university will provide me with better certificate and opportunity in my career life?

HELP!!!
Jaiymes
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I mean you might not be able to make friends at this other university, they could potentially all be the same and you still not enjoy it and in that scenario you’re in another county! To be honest university ranking really doesn’t matter that much unless you get bad grades, so it’s not that important you changing for a better or worse title. However I know lots of people who have started a course and either not liked the course or university and have transferred and started over again but they have mostly been happy with their decision! Just make sure you speak to one of your lecturers about it first as they may be able to move you to a different class with different people.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jaiymes)
Hey, I mean you might not be able to make friends at this other university, they could potentially all be the same and you still not enjoy it and in that scenario you’re in another county! To be honest university ranking really doesn’t matter that much unless you get bad grades, so it’s not that important you changing for a better or worse title. However I know lots of people who have started a course and either not liked the course or university and have transferred and started over again but they have mostly been happy with their decision! Just make sure you speak to one of your lecturers about it first as they may be able to move you to a different class with different people
I was thinking the same thing. maybe the other university will be the same or maybe even worse. changing countries won't be easy.
most probably I'm going to stay in the same university
thank you for your help
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't have any friends either. I thought about transferring as well but I'm just hanging on by a thread for this degree and scholarship. I hate my university and don't have any connections with anyone (course mates & flat mates) life is so miserable at uni and i just can't wait to graduate in 2021.
In my opinion you should ask someone at your uni and discuss your concerns they might talk you out of it or in it and give you other options to take. Transferring unis is a hit or a miss. It depends of what you make of it. Do you have the social skills and ability to communicate effectively with people to develop into friendships etc.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey.

It's a common social problem that students can't seem to make friends very easily at university.
I wouldn't judge a lot of them before you truly know them, you only know what they're like on the surface.
Sure, a lot of people won't be to your taste, but you've got all the time in the world.

Thought about going to a society?
Best advice is to put yourself out there and talk to people to make friends. Get your face known, then you'll develop genuine friendships.
I would probably advise to stick out your course unless you hate the content. If it's solely a loneliness thing - my advice would be to stay and work on it!

Joshua
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (143)
18.92%
Labour (323)
42.72%
Liberal Democrats (153)
20.24%
Green Party (41)
5.42%
Brexit Party (21)
2.78%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)