What jobs to apply for if you have no work experience? Watch

kat-2728
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Okay so I’m in my first year of uni and have never had a job before, I’ve literally never done any work experience before either so literally have nothing to put on my cv. I was wondering what kind I could apply for? Thanks
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
McDonald’s will most likely accept ya but you could try retail or local shops
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kat-2728)
Okay so I’m in my first year of uni and have never had a job before, I’ve literally never done any work experience before either so literally have nothing to put on my cv. I was wondering what kind I could apply for? Thanks
Does your uni's Student Union have any vacancies at the moment? Or maybe the uni itself might have some jobs on campus you could apply for. At least you can be seen as a 'known quantity' at uni, with a reference from your tutor.
Marfyy2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
McDonald's is decent, but don't get disheartened if they don't take you. At the store I worked at their God's honest recruitment strategy involved getting rid of obviously bad applications, then of all the good ones that were left randomly interviewing every other application and the rest went in the bin.
I asked my manager why I got the job once and was it because I had cleaning experience and she explained how they do it.

Personally I think your best option is bar work. The thing with retail and fast food is that they want 16/17 year olds because they're cheaper to pay, whereas bars want 18-21 year olds because that's the cheapest age bracket they can legally hire.
If you can't get a job in a regular bar get yourself on with an agency. There's absolutely loads for bar work, some regional some national. They pretty much hire you on the spot unless you're a complete and utter maniac, so great way to get industry experience, but obviously it's casual work you don't get any benefits or perks really. If you enjoy the work you can go on a personal lisence course and get a supervisor position pretty easily. If you're really good you can get supervisor without your personal licence but it's not ideal.

The big national agencies I know of are called HAP Recruitment, Flair Events, Syft and Rota. In Lancashire there is a good agency called GetStaffed. In Liverpool there is Verve.

Finally if you really really can't find anything after a couple of months find a voluntary organisation you're interested in who you can work with for a couple of months. Charity shops will need references but personal ones rather than work ones are usually fine. Everywhere in the country has a hospital and they are often looking for volunteers, things like reading to older patients, patient experience groups, meet and greeters... The list goes on 🙂
Last edited by Marfyy2; 4 weeks ago
kat-2728
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marfyy2)
McDonald's is decent, but don't get disheartened if they don't take you. At the store I worked at their God's honest recruitment strategy involved getting rid of obviously bad applications, then of all the good ones that were left randomly interviewing every other application and the rest went in the bin.
I asked my manager why I got the job once and was it because I had cleaning experience and she explained how they do it.

Personally I think your best option is bar work. The thing with retail and fast food is that they want 16/17 year olds because they're cheaper to pay, whereas bars want 18-21 year olds because that's the cheapest age bracket they can legally hire.
If you can't get a job in a regular bar get yourself on with an agency. There's absolutely loads for bar work, some regional some national. They pretty much hire you on the spot unless you're a complete and utter maniac, so great way to get industry experience, but obviously it's casual work you don't get any benefits or perks really. If you enjoy the work you can go on a personal lisence course and get a supervisor position pretty easily. If you're really good you can get supervisor without your personal licence but it's not ideal.

The big national agencies I know of are called HAP Recruitment, Flair Events, Syft and Rota. In Lancashire there is a good agency called GetStaffed. In Liverpool there is Verve.

Finally if you really really can't find anything after a couple of months find a voluntary organisation you're interested in who you can work with for a couple of months. Charity shops will need references but personal ones rather than work ones are usually fine. Everywhere in the country has a hospital and they are often looking for volunteers, things like reading to older patients, patient experience groups, meet and greeters... The list goes on 🙂
Thank you so much for this, this is super helpful! I’ve def considered volunteering. Who would I ask to write my reference though? Like can it just be a family member or would it have to be a teacher from college (would be awkward since I haven’t talked to any of them since I let in June, and didn’t exactly go to that many lessons in year 13 haha)
Marfyy2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for this, this is super helpful! I’ve def considered volunteering. Who would I ask to write my reference though? Like can it just be a family member or would it have to be a teacher from college (would be awkward since I haven’t talked to any of them since I let in June, and didn’t exactly go to that many lessons in year 13 haha)
It's not ideal to have a reference from a family member as most family members would write a glowing endorsement of you and obviously businesses know that. If you had a particularly good relationship with anyone even from school rather than college you could try that. It won't be awkward as long as you weren't an awful person as colleges will be totally used to it, they probably have a bank of standard characters references to hand out! If you're in uni do you not have a personal tutor you can ask? You could even pop down to the careers team at your uni and ask for their advice in getting a reference, and they will be able to have a proper chat with you about the people in your life and who might be most suitable.

If you know anyone well, but in a professional capacity that's always good too. You would normally have to say how you know someone and putting friend or family is like the lowest ranked option. When I specifically need a character reference I have a go-to guy who works for my local council and my reference type is "mentor". He's great because he has a professional job but isn't friend or family.

If you do take up some sort of volunteering you can usually ask them for a reference although it would brobably be prudent to wait a little while before broaching the topic, but I'm almost certain they wouldn't mind. Lots of long-term unemployed people will take up volunteering opportunities with the specific intention of helping re-adjust to working and get them work-ready
kat-2728
Rep:
?
Thank you. I am in uni, but I’m in my first year and have only been here for 3 weeks. I’ve only met my tutor once so I feel like it would be odd to ask him for a reference? Idk. I think I’ll probably ask college
TehZia19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know Primark accepts those without any prior experience. Also, because Christmas is around the corner, there should be some temporary vacancies for those that are looking to do some work during the holidays. Royal Mail is a good place to start looking, they definitely don't look for any experience for their Christmas Casual position.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mcdonalds take on a lot of students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (4)
40%
Unconditional if firmed (1)
10%
Unconditional if insurance (0)
0%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (0)
0%
No unconditional offers (5)
50%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed