The Student Room Group

Breast Cancer??

DON'T READ UNLESS YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE

I know I sound ridiculous, considering I'm only 14, but I swear to god I have ticked off so many of the symptoms. Hell, I even have a lump on my underarm (I checked, it's hard, and if it's a cyst or something it should be soft) and honestly, I don't know what to do???? Is there a way that I could tell my GP without my parents knowing or?? Cos ik doctor-patient confidentiality thingy only applies when you are 16.

I know I should go to the GP, and ask for a scan or something, but I honestly don't want my parents to freak out or know. First of all my mom would probably brush me off, and say it's nothing (pfft asian parents) and second, I'm scared that she would tell everyone (my mom's quite a blabbermouth ESPECIALLY when you tell her not to tell anyone, learnt this the hard way many times) and I just don't know what to do?? Plus my parents already have so much on their plates I don't want to burden them JUST HELP?? I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO
Go to your doctor and explain your worries - they are there to be used after all. And if they confirm it’s just a cyst or enlarged lymph node, then you will find relief this way rather than spending any more time worrying.
Try and book an appointment by yourself with the doctor. You are allowed to go to the doctor and receive treatment by yourself from the doctor even if you are under 16 - this is to do with “Gillick Competency”: whether a child (under 16 years of age) is able to consent to his or her own medical treatment, without the need for parental permission or knowledge. Your doctor will determine if you are “Gillick Competent” when you are there.
If it helps in any way, I’ve had a few sebaceous cysts (so glamorous) before on my back and they were all quite hard. So it may be only a cyst. Or it may be an enlargened lymph node from an infection.
It’s actually quite good that you are so proactive and involved with your health, but don’t take it to the level where it becomes a cloud over your life.
Hope this helps xx
You most probably don't have cancer. But the only way to know for sure and to be reassured about this is to see your GP. Your parents don't need to know and they don't need to come with you - just make an appointment and go alone.
Original post by black tea
You most probably don't have cancer. But the only way to know for sure and to be reassured about this is to see your GP. Your parents don't need to know and they don't need to come with you - just make an appointment and go alone.

This ^^^

Breast cancer is very uncommon with teenagers so I agree that you most likely don’t have it and are just worrying yourself as we all do it. I think it’s likely because you’re still young and your breasts are developing so will naturally change shape. Hopefully it’s nothing but like the person above, it doesn’t hurt to ask your GP!

Quick Reply

Latest