How does A-Level grading works? Watch

consultant_2_b
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

I did my A-Level Equivalent outside the UK, where we had a % based system (GPA). I was just wondering how are grades awared in the UK, i.e. how marks in different bands correspond to the grades. Say, 70+ = A, 60 - 70 = B, etc.

Cheers
A
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
All raw marks you achieve in coursework or exams are standardised to give a UMS score. 80% UMS is an A, 70% is a B, 60% is a C, 50% is a D, and 40% is an E. Anything less than 40% is a U (a fail). Then each subject is marked out of 600 UMS for the whole A level, and it works the same way - 80% (so 480/600) is an A etc. Starting this year, A* is being introduced, where I think you need 90% in all A2 modules to get the A*, or something like that. It doesn't apply to me so I don't know much about it. Hope this helps.
jkyng1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you need 90% in ALL A2 MODULES? i thought just overall..
AussieKat
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure... I let the examiners and my teacher work it out! x
jkyng1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
90% in A2 modules are just....amazing
danmccolm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm pretty sure it's just 90% overall in A2, and an A at AS-level.
jkyng1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what. i thought u need 540/600.
danmccolm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, that'd be 90% over the whole A-Level.. look in the TSR Wiki article about this (y) It says you need an A at AS-level, and 90% overall at A2.
jkyng1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
alright.
consultant_2_b
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks a ton..

Whats the difference between A-Levels and A2 or I assume A2 is a part of A-Levels? Also does your A-Level curriculum last for 1 year (given that you pass all subjects) and is there a minimum number of subjects you need to undertake at A-Levels
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by consultant_2_b)
Thanks a ton..

Whats the difference between A-Levels and A2 or I assume A2 is a part of A-Levels? Also does your A-Level curriculum last for 1 year (given that you pass all subjects) and is there a minimum number of subjects you need to undertake at A-Levels
A-levels last for two years. The first year is called AS, and the second year is called A2. AS is required for A2. There's no minimum as such, but universities will generally require at least three subjects at A2. Students can also drop a subject after AS if they want, without continuing to complete the whole A-level, so an AS can be thought of as half an A-level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads