how to balance revision to get a grade 9 in 7 gcses

Watch
liamlarner
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
so i am taking 7 GCSES at college and want to get a grade 9 in all GCSES how do i balance my revision and revise smartly to do this the subjects and boards i am doing are

English Language AQA GCSE
English Literature AQA GCSE
Religious studies AQA GCSE Christianity and Islam
Chemistry 8462 spec AQA GCSE
Economics OCR GCSE
Business AQA GCSE
Maths Edexcel IGCSE

How do i balance my revision to get a grade 9 in all subjects
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hi there.

My top few tips would be:

- Prioritise what you’re weakest at. You should revise according to how difficult you find a subject, or how much content there is; so personally, I revised for history probably as much as all my other GCSEs combined! This isn’t optimal, and you should aim to spend roughly the same amount of time on each subject, but yep—know your strengths and weaknesses.

- You need to balance content revision (learning and understand the content) with application revision (practice questions, papers and exam technique). You should really have finished application revision mainly by halfway through Easter at the latest - application revision is important for those top grades.

- Try not to stress about aiming for “perfection” of straight 9s. It can lead to overworking, burn out, de motivation, spiralling mental health... the list goes on. Work hard, yes, but also play hard and enjoy the year. Spend time with friends and family, don’t be a hermit, and just do your best. It’ll all be okay!

Good luck!
mb2003
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The 'secret' to getting all 9s for me was using the specification, especially for the subjects that require a lot of memory, e.g. the Sciences and Humanities. I'd make really concise notes from the specification, then fill in the gaps with the CGP workbook + revision guide (e.g. where the spec says something like 'students should be able to explain this concept' but doesn't actually say how). Don't write down anything you know off by heart though - you need to be really efficient and make your notes as short as possible really. After that, from my notes, I transferred everything onto Quizlet flashcards and tested myself over and over again. When you get to the stage where you think you know everything, you've just gotta do tons and tons of practice papers.

With the subjects that rely less on memory, like Maths and English, practice papers is the way to go. Don't fall into the trap of spending too much time on memorising things and less on actual practice. A secret with English Lit is that the examiners don't actually care if you get a word in a quote wrong, or just paraphrase quotes instead of getting them correct word for word. So there's no need to spend all your time getting a quote perfect, just make sure you've got the gist of it and the key words. The analysis is the most important bit, so focus on improving that.

Hope this helps, and all the best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.86%
Note taking apps (7)
1.87%
Flashcards (85)
22.73%
Revision guides (19)
5.08%
Past papers (171)
45.72%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (14)
3.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise