?
Report 10 years ago
It's America.
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wtf did those people think it was some kind of candid camera sketch or something?
thyssen1207
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's absolutely inhumane.
Em_maK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I watched that earlier today.

Such a sad state society is in that people don't even care enough to check if someone is alive or dead.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They were probably hugely busy and understaffed though. She was accidentally ignored right, not deliberately?
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
She was in the waiting room...no one checked to see if the lady on the floor was okay they just ignored here...its negligience.
plagaan
Report 10 years ago
If I'm reading correctly, it took an hour for anyone to notice. It's not as though they noticed and then ignored it.

Anyway, slightly unrelated, I've heard that in some US states if you say have a heart attack and collapse on the street, if an ambulance sees you they'll get out and check if you have ID/credit cards/other evidence that you can afford treatment on you before picking you up. If you don't have it, they'll leave you there.
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a mental health institution with an awful record. Most of the staff got fired as a result of this.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Em_maK)
I watched that earlier today.

Such a sad state society is in that people don't even care enough to check if someone is alive or dead
If you saw a tramp lying down in a bus shelter would you check for his pulse?

The point is I doubt they thought she was dying, more thinking she was sleeping.
LaurenFah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh god, that was a horrible video
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)

The point is I doubt they thought she was dying, more thinking she was sleeping.
And keep in mind who the "they" is. Most of the people there were other mentally ill patients. I believe one security guard saw this and did nothing, for which he got fired.
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I suppose if there's other people around, everyone waits to see if someone else will go to help. Then, when nobody goes to help, everyone assumes they've just missed something and everyone else knows there's nothing wrong.

Still fairly pathetic, though. You can see people in the video walking past and looking concerned, but appearing too self-conscious to actually intervene.
pcok
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ugh that's absolutely awful, people were actually looking at her laying there, and other patients were just sat in the waiting room, yet nobody did anything. I would not have believed that had I not seen the video.
(Original post by plagaan)
Anyway, slightly unrelated, I've heard that in some US states if you say have a heart attack and collapse on the street, if an ambulance sees you they'll get out and check if you have ID/credit cards/other evidence that you can afford treatment on you before picking you up. If you don't have it, they'll leave you there.
Yup absolutely true. You should watch the film Sicko, it's all about the US Healthcare system, it's pretty horrible but very insightful. I hope we don't get rid of the NHS.
burninginme
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The US's health care system is generally as crappy as the NHS, if not worse, but they have to pay big money for it.
Blue Rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
It's America.
I agree, yet it could also happen here. The hospital that you're taken to around here if you get sick or anything the same could happen. I once had to go to hospital with my mum at about midnight or something once and she wasn't seen til about 4:. She was in excruciating pain and no-one came to check on her, they gave her a bed and left her there. Me and her friend kept going to get someone but no-one came. Some hospitals here are just as bad.
Collingwood
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It being America is nothing to do with it. In the US there is a legal obligation on hospitals to treat people who are critically ill, regardless of payment situation. This sort of thing happens in Britain as well, where it is also rare.
Em_maK
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)

She collapsed on the floor in full view and stopped moving...doesn't sound like sleeping.

And tbh, if s/he looked ill or something I probably would.

At the very least I'd ask if they were ok.
Blue Rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by plagaan)
Yeah I've heard that here. I know someone that went to live in America but thought the health system was ridiculous and came back.
I think that money first thing is morally wrong and unfair.
jack1123
Report 10 years ago
That almost makes me feel sick
Imagine if that were your mother/father grandmother/grandfather etc lying on the floor with no one bothering to check if they were ok and they died
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (207)
40.12%
No - but I will (32)
6.2%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (242)
46.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise