The Student Room Group

Am I weird for still buying DVDs and Blu Rays?

Every time I mention to people IRL that I bought something on physical media like a DVD box set, they say stuff like "isn't there somewhere else you could have watched it, like Netflix?" or "I didn't know people still bought those!".

I dunno, I just feel like if I'm spending money on stuff like this, I want something I physically own. Also I feel like having a DVD rack gives the room a bit of personality.

Any of you lot still buy media in physical format or is it just me 🤔

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have Sky, Netflix and Prime Video but I still buy DVDs/Blu-Rays. Mostly it's because I like having a physical copy... the nebulous presence of a film on a hard drive that could die or an account I could forget the password to doesn't feel like ownership to me.

But it can also be cheaper to buy a physical copy than it is to buy a stream, so that influences me too.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Every time I mention to people IRL that I bought something on physical media like a DVD box set, they say stuff like "isn't there somewhere else you could have watched it, like Netflix?" or "I didn't know people still bought those!".

I dunno, I just feel like if I'm spending money on stuff like this, I want something I physically own. Also I feel like having a DVD rack gives the room a bit of personality.

I know exactly what you mean, what I like to do is download every video I watch and burn it to cds, people keep telling me I'm weird.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY

Not weird at all. :nah:

My latest Blu-ray purchase was the Bohemian Rhapsody film.
No, I'd think there's still a lot of collectors as well.
Noooooo
Happens all the time in Japan. They buy DVDs, rip the content, and then sell the DVDs. It is a form of piracy - intellectual property theft - but since they are not Chinese, Trump doesn't threaten sanctions for it.
Not weird - don't even have any blu-rays (still got a load of VHS's tbh) :redface:
I must admit though I haven't watched as many dvds at home since having Netflix, despite having a bit of a collection of them.
I don't think it's weird, I'm the same with games.
There's been a huge push for the digitisation of video games recently, especially with these new "game streaming" services coming out. I still prefer to have physical copies though. I take pride in my little collection. :h:
Reply 9
I do it with music but not with anything else
Original post by Chronoscope
Not weird - don't even have any blu-rays (still got a load of VHS's tbh) :redface:
I must admit though I haven't watched as many dvds at home since having Netflix, despite having a bit of a collection of them.

I've got too many VHS tapes in my mum's loft, a few titles of which I've yet to ever see a DVD release for. :sigh:

Although for old times sake purposes, back in 2011, I recorded a show off ITV onto VHS tape. :mmm:
I still buy DVDs for horror movies cause netflix and amazon prime don't have most of the old classic stuff that I still haven't watched yet, and I don't fancy giving my laptop cancer going thru the less legal channels.
As long as you're not a hoarder who thinks your collection is following you to the grave and to the gates of heaven (if you believe) while a god judges you based on your film tastes, then no.

A lot of niche films aren't available to stream as well.
I only do this with music really (mainly because I'm not that interested in films). A lot of stuff that I listen to is really hard to find online to stream easily, for example. I have quite a large collection of old indie records and obscure thrash metal albums to boot. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it, people did it (and in some cases still do) for decades, and it's only due to the advent of streaming and the convenience of downloading that everything has become digitalised. If you enjoy it though then you do you :smile:
Mostly stream stuff, but still occasionally buy dvds, especially more obscure stuff. Not weird at all.
Not weird.
I can't play blue rays but buy dvds and record favourite tv shows to dvd.
I have two old combi tvs that play vhs and can record on them too.
Having blu-ray collections is good
Mr Weird catches the strange bus to Oddtown and goes to the Curious Café. the waitress Offbeat Olga asks him if he wants his usual... a bizarre sandwich with a flake.
Reply 18
Can we keep the comments on topic please.. and not personal or argumentative. Any issues go to Ask the Community Staff.
Reply 19
No that’s not weird at all, I can easily watch films on Netflix (the films they do have🤦🏻*♀️) and stream music online and I do that, but I still collect so many DVDs, CDs, vinyl records and books and whatnot, I even have a small collection of cassette tapes, like there’s just something about having a physical copy that makes it so much better. Guess I just love my media and take pride in my collection. Maybe I’m just a hoarder 🤷🏼*♀️

Quick Reply

Latest