HELP: Retaking the first year! Watch

milesaway
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Just before my second semester exams of the first year I met with my tutor and explained to him that I've managed to mess up my first year and that I was going to fail and that I was going to start working to help me get a good work cycle going and to help cover the costs of uni. He told me that I was allowed to retake the first year once. So because of this I didn't do my second semester exams and now I've got an email from an administrative officer of my school that I have to do referral exams for all the modules I failed in both semester one and semester two.

Now I was under the impression that I was allowed to retake the first year so that was my plan to work and sort of take a break from uni and sort my problems out.

I checked the regulations and according to that if I fail any referral exams I am allowed to retake the first year. However the letter I was sent also said that the results of the supplementary exams (i.e. the referral exams) will be considered by the exam board of the school and after that they will let me know whether or not I am allowed to continue at the university.

What should I do? I thought I was allowed to retake the year. It's not that I'm not interested in my course, I made this clear to the senior tutor when I met him and when he told me I was allowed to retake the year. Do you think they think I have no interest in the course as I didn't do any exams in the second semester?

This has got me really panicked, I just don't know what to do, especially because even though I can sit for the referral exams I highly doubt that I'll pass as there's almost an 6-7 months work to do in 2 months and more than this I was hoping all along after meeting with my senior tutor, to start fresh and go through the first year again properly.

Any advice is deeply appreciated.

Thanks
milesaway
This is what the regulations say:

Repeat: A candidate failing to progress after referral may repeat the appropriate Part of the programme internally or externally, as chosen by the candidate, following academic counselling from the School. Normally the Repeat will include all modules. However, the candidate may choose to repeat only the failed modules. In this case, marks for modules not repeated will be carried forward (uncapped) from the best of previous attempts.
So according to that, is it possible for them to kick me out even if I fail all my referral modules?
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You really should be asking your university this, rather than us. Contact your tutor and tell them what has happened. Of course, just telling your tutor that you were going to retake the year doesn't meant that you automatically can, you would have had to have sorted it out and let the university know that this was what you were planning do, whereas by the sound of it you just stopped working immediately without letting any official person know. Anyway, as I said, contact them and tell them the situation - they can help you better than anybody else on here can.
baconnugget
Report 10 years ago
maybe u can transfer courses at the last resort? best bet is it talk to the univercity progressions office and your tutor as they will know all the precedures.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don't have the right to retake, the board of examiners will decide if your allowed to.
Btw, if your failing the first year things dont look great for the following two do they? Sure its the right thing to do?
milesaway
Thanks for your replies.

whereas by the sound of it you just stopped working immediately without letting any official person know.
That's just it, I discussed the situation with my senior tutor well before the second semester exams.
milesaway
Btw, if your failing the first year things dont look great for the following two do they? Sure its the right thing to do?
Yes, I do think so, because I'm interested in my course just that I've had some problems.
DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 10 years ago
Only suggestion I can say is ask your University. Other University students may have an inkling, however we're not going have the correct advice for you.

Hope what ever you choose is the right choice!
milesaway
PHEW PHEW PHEW. I found out that apparently it's a formality that they send that letter to everyone who didn't make it. They assured me that they were aware of me wanting to retake the year. So all is well. I'd like to thank you lot, but all the replies were quite negative and somewhat presumptuous about my academic ability. So yeah, thanks.
kftjkp
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by milesaway)
but all the replies were quite negative and somewhat presumptuous about my academic ability. So yeah, thanks.

You find that a lot on TSR...glad you got it sorted.
milesaway
(Original post by kftjkp)
You find that a lot on TSR...glad you got it sorted.
Yeah, some of us academics can be real a** holes sometimes. I think it's something to do with pride, stress and a preconceived notion of "this sort of thing will never happen to me" :rolleyes: , I'm not saying I'm any different, just a little bit more aware of it than the usual lot, because of the things I've been through.
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, asking advice on failure ain't a good thing to do on TSR cos everyone's obviously a huge success.... apparently...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise