The Student Room Group

Thugs attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's children - again.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by LiberOfLondon
I have mentioned SEVERAL TIMES in this thread that some of my family members are Finnish, and that I speak Finnish. My profile picture (for crying out loud) is the ****ING COAT OF ARMS OF FINLAND! Are you deliberately being obtuse, or can you not understand that I am not a xenophobe?

Public declarations mean nothing. For example, some of the most vehemently homophobic public figures have turned out to be closet homosexuals.

Even if I was opposed to immigration and believed that we had too many immigrants in this country, that would not be xenophobia; it would be opposition to immigration.

Even if I shot someone through the head, that would not be murder, that would just be unlawfully killing someone.
Yeah, fair enough.
Original post by QE2
Public declarations mean nothing. For example, some of the most vehemently homophobic public figures have turned out to be closet homosexuals.

Even if I shot someone through the head, that would not be murder, that would just be unlawfully killing someone.
Yeah, fair enough.

Even if I was opposed to immigration and believed that we had too many immigrants in this country, that would not be xenophobia; it would be opposition to immigration.

Gotta agree with you that that's really badly worded
Original post by QE2

Yeah, fair enough.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/xenophobia
Absolutely nowhere does it mention opposition to immigration as being xenophobic.
Reply 203
Original post by LiberOfLondon
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/xenophobia
Absolutely nowhere does it mention opposition to immigration as being xenophobic.

Oh dear...
"fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign"
"Dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries." (OED)
Immigrants are, by definition, foreigners/people from other countries.
Hope this helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending