Does your appetie mould to your eating routine? Watch

Lacks Organisation
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey peeps.
Was just wondering...
Does it? Is it supposed to?
You see when I started uni I had a 'normal' appetite (3 square meals a day).
Then, I started staying up late and was smoking weed quite a lot (mostly during the evenings), which lead to me eating at different times. I'd eat loads late at night (munchies), but then sleep while dinner (or 'lunch') time the next day, which means that breakfast was out of my life. At one point I'd end up eating about 4 meals a day, at about 13:00, 18:00, 22:00 and 02:00 but it didn't seem weird at all, that was just when *I* ate.
But then, I started drinking too much and ended up only eating one or sometimes two meals a day (you get loads of calories when you're drinking all the time, so you don't get hungry often). After a while when I'd got my drinking back to non-alcoholic levels my appetite stayed the same (one, maybe two meals a day) for a while, then gradually I got back to a 'normal' appetite.
But THEN, I started using drugs that completely destroyed my appetite and I'd go days without eating (which I would find shocking before I did it). This again became comfortable. COMFORTABLE, eating once every 3 days. I found this really strange. After I realised that I was actually starting on a bad path with all my happenings, I calmed down the party a bit and got onto a kind of typical studenty eating routine, just eating whenever I feel like it-essentially 3 meals a day, with occasional snacks, but 'shifted along' if you know what I mean (ie, first meal at around 13:00 last one at 00:00ish).
Now I've come home from uni and I'm back in the family lifestyle, with meals being at normal times, but this time I'm finding that my body is taking quite a while to get used to this new change in eating patterns. Obviously, it's because this time there were never any drugs altering my appetite, but I'd have thought that my body would be able to adapt to what's happening to it much faster. It's 2:06 in the morning and I'm STARVING (which is what got me thinking about this) and I'm not hungry at 18:00 when my tea is ready (when the other peeps in my house are munching).
Just realised that there wasn't really any need for all that, but I suppose it helps set the scene. My main question is, has anyone else had to change their eating patten consciously, the way you do a sleeping pattern? If so, how do you do it?
Also any explanations of how the body goes through these changes? I found the flexibility of my appetite amazing and very interesting.
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
mine suits me perfectly, i have lunch and tea as usual, then usually get hungry around 9 -10'o'clock... perfect time to go to the chinese or indian for a take away.
suek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have 3 meals a day - a small breakfast (need it for work ^^), lunch and dinner. Big lunch, small dinner. Small lunch, big dinner.

That's how I do it. My boyfriend however is on summer hols and he stays up late, wakes up late and has one huge meal a day, so I have to adjust
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise