Chances for an American at LSE? Watch

j.caesar
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, I'm very interested in ibanking and the economics program at LSE. However, I really have no clue what my chances are, because I have never taken A-levels/IB exams. I have taken the following Advanced Placement (AP) exams, which are considered college-level material in the US:

Physics B (5) *
Physics C-Mechanics (5) *
Calculus BC (5) *
Statistics (5)
European history (5) *
United States history (5) *
Psychology (5)
English Language & Composition (5) *
French Language (4) *

[The numbers in parentheses are my scores, out of five. The star means that LSE considers those exams to be "Group A courses" ("suitable for entry")].

LSE says that at least four Group A exams need to be taken with a score of 4 or 5 depending on the exam. At this point, I have seven, and by the time I graduate, I will likely have 10 (+ Physics C-Electricity & Magnetism, biology, and English Literature & Composition). I will have 17 APs (Group A and B combined) by graduation.

I also have a slew of extracurriculars, but I have heard that British schools do not take them into account?

Any help in helping me find out if I have a chance would be much appreciated!
The Edwinnator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You have more than a fighting chance, looking at your AP's. And yes, British Universities tend to place more emphasis on your interest in the subject of choice....
j.caesar
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks for the reply! I have a question, though: How would one show interest in...economics? I mean, I will be taking AP macro/micro next year, but there isn't a substantial availability of econ clubs to join (i.e. none at all). Or is showing interest only necessarily manifested in the personal statement?

Anyone else wish to help out and offer advice? It would be much appreciated!
Chrisateen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by j.caesar)
Thanks for the reply! I have a question, though: How would one show interest in...economics? I mean, I will be taking AP macro/micro next year, but there isn't a substantial availability of econ clubs to join (i.e. none at all). Or is showing interest only necessarily manifested in the personal statement?

Usually the unis know that you are interested in something through your Personal Statement (PS) in fact it is the only way in my opinion.

So when you write your PS you may say why you enjoyed econ at school and why you want to study it at uni. You may also include one or two things that you read, clubs you have joined e.t.c.
SusDev
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by j.caesar)

Just think of your PS as really being the question: What attracted you to economics? And then answer accordingly.
RM89
Report 10 years ago
i got in for econ last year. if you want me to send my PS pm me and i will send it over!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads