Sjtb34
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,
I thought I would start a thread for people hoping to apply for midwifery for courses starting in 2021. It's a little early but I figured we could share any advice/tips on different Unis and midwifery in general.
Mollyanne2003
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi , I’m in the same position here - let’s hope this thread will pick up when it gets closer to us applying!
Sjtb34
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hopefully! Scary to think that it's now less than a year away. It's going to fly by!
Mollyanne2003
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Definetly! I’m currently in the process of trying to fit in work experience into my schedule with exams and trips away etc ... what unis are you thinking of applying to?
Sjtb34
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
It's hard to get everything in! I'm thinking of BCU, Coventry, Northampton and DMU
What about you?
Mollyanne2003
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m Scottish based so I’m thinking RGU, Napier, and West if Scotland (in that order), I’ve heard Highlands and Islands do Midwifery but not keen on going up there as I’m southern Scotland, so I think I may apply to two English school too (just unsure which ones, however I’m hoping that I get accepted into one in Scotland because then all my fees/living costs are covered!) what work experience have you done or are trying to get?
Ellie.mac101
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sjtb34)
Hi,
I thought I would start a thread for people hoping to apply for midwifery for courses starting in 2021. It's a little early but I figured we could share any advice/tips on different Unis and midwifery in general.
I am hoping to, seems like there a lot of us planning ahead x
Ellie.mac101
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mollyanne2003)
I’m Scottish based so I’m thinking RGU, Napier, and West if Scotland (in that order), I’ve heard Highlands and Islands do Midwifery but not keen on going up there as I’m southern Scotland, so I think I may apply to two English school too (just unsure which ones, however I’m hoping that I get accepted into one in Scotland because then all my fees/living costs are covered!) what work experience have you done or are trying to get?
I’m the same, except from the highlands, Applying to the same universities, I’ve been trying to get work experience but struggled because of confidentiality, anyone else had any luck?
Mollyanne2003
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ellie.mac101)
I’m the same, except from the highlands, Applying to the same universities, I’ve been trying to get work experience but struggled because of confidentiality, anyone else had any luck?
I contacted a hypnobirthing place in Edinburgh and they let me sit in on about 5 workshops which were 6 hours each! I’m also going to a prenatal/post natal support group for local mums in the February break, and I’m in the process of applying to shadow a midwife at my local hospital - try some breastfeeding/new mum support groups as you want to show that you’re with the WOMAN not the baby (this is what an Edinburgh admissions lady told me at a Nursing/Midwifery taster day in November!) I also did a week in a nursery but I doubt it will be useful
Sjtb34
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I contacted a hypnobirthing place in Edinburgh and they let me sit in on about 5 workshops which were 6 hours each! I’m also going to a prenatal/post natal support group for local mums in the February break, and I’m in the process of applying to shadow a midwife at my local hospital - try some breastfeeding/new mum support groups as you want to show that you’re with the WOMAN not the baby (this is what an Edinburgh admissions lady told me at a Nursing/Midwifery taster day in November!) I also did a week in a nursery but I doubt it will be useful
Those sound like great Ideas! Hopefully once we are 18 (assuming your both in sixth form) it will be easier to get more revelevent experience.
Mollyanne2003
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sjtb34)
Those sound like great Ideas! Hopefully once we are 18 (assuming your both in sixth form) it will be easier to get more revelevent experience.
I’m 16 and I’m 5th year (second last year of school) and I’m November born so when I’m 18 I’m hoping to be in uni by then lol! I’ve found just applying to lots of places quite useful and talking to them all, as they all have connections (that’s how I managed to get the hypnobirthing thing!) I recommend trying Positive Birth Scotland as they were willing to have me along at age 14 so I’m sure they wouldn’t mind a few 16/17 yr olds
Ellie.mac101
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That sounds amazing!! I’d love to go to some prenatal classes but because I’m so rural I’d have to travel, how did you go about applying for shadowing? Did you go to the hospital and ask or email someone? I think it would be really beneficial and I’d really enjoy doing the same 😊
Mollyanne2003
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That sounds amazing!! I’d love to go to some prenatal classes but because I’m so rural I’d have to travel, how did you go about applying for shadowing? Did you go to the hospital and ask or email someone? I think it would be really beneficial and I’d really enjoy doing the same 😊
I’m still in the process of applying, but my local hospital has a contact form so I emailed that, then they redirected me to a work experience form where I have to fill in so many things, and have to attach multiple references etc (my local hospital is pretty small so not sure how this works for bigger hospitals!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (171)
67.06%
No (84)
32.94%

Watched Threads