Nail-bed infection Watch

Teofilo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Somehow I have managed to infect the nail-bed of my finger (very red and quite swollen).

Has this happened to anyone else?

I suspect the best thing may be to rest it/not traumative, but unfortunately for me that's out of the question.

Tried to look this up on the internet but, as usual, it was the medical terms and actually ended up scaring me (which prompted me to make this thread!).

What I need is some practical advice. Cheers.
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
go to your pharmacist see what they can offer you
Girl.Scout
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oww, I was expecting a much more disturbing thread than this.
stargirl001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Had one of these in my thumb about 2 years ago. My whole thumb swelled up and I have never seen so much pus in my life. Absolutely disgusting and I was in agony. I wouldnt wish that on anyone

I had to take antibiotics for mine, so I'd suggest you get down the doctors and see what they say. Or go to a pharmacy and see what they can do. Your nail probably will come off, just let it do it itself and wait for it to grow back.

Keep it clean, if its open then bandage it but its also important to let it get air so try and air it as much as possible.
Obscured
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I agree with Star Girl, go to your doctor. This happened to me and I also had to take antibiotics. It's really important to have it looked at because I didn't know this but it can start blood poisoning- not very nice at all!
Try and keep it elevated if you can because this slows the swelling down.
Tbh just get to your GP it's best to have it checked.
Teofilo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by stargirl001)
I had to take antibiotics for mine, so I'd suggest you get down the doctors and see what they say. Or go to a pharmacy and see what they can do. Your nail probably will come off, just let it do it itself and wait for it to grow back.
Got antibiotic cream from the chemists today so hopefully that will do the trick (swelling seems to have gone down a fair bit).

I was also told to soak it in hot salt water (not sure if that works).

Thankfully, my nail doesn't look to be in any danger!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads