monsixo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi! I'm taking the TSA (section 1 and 2) on 30th October. Can you give me some tips on how to ace the test and the writing task in particular?
Siobha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, what are you applying for? I'm doing the TSA this year too, applying for human sciences. I've been told that they don't care all that much about the writing section and just to be clear and concise with it (and that they'll only use it to make an actual decision if 2 candidates are identical)
EmmaMurphy25
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Siobha)
Hey, what are you applying for? I'm doing the TSA this year too, applying for human sciences. I've been told that they don't care all that much about the writing section and just to be clear and concise with it (and that they'll only use it to make an actual decision if 2 candidates are identical)
I am also applying for human sciences. what kinda scores are you getting?
monsixo
Rep:
?
Hey! I'm applying for experimental psychology. I hope what you say is true cause I don't have any idea how I'm gonna write a good essay for just 30 min especially when english is not my first language
Siobha
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EmmaMurphy25)
I am also applying for human sciences. what kinda scores are you getting?
Yay, hi!! HumSci applicants are thin on the ground, you're only the second person I've found who is also applying this year! I started off mid 50s, then consistently 63 and got 68 on my last run. Still have 4 more papers to use for practise, but 68 was my aim really; two people who got in for human sciences have said they got 68 on the TSA. What about you?
EmmaMurphy25
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yay, hi!! HumSci applicants are thin on the ground, you're only the second person I've found who is also applying this year! I started off mid 50s, then consistently 63 and got 68 on my last run. Still have 4 more papers to use for practise, but 68 was my aim really; two people who got in for human sciences have said they got 68 on the TSA. What about you?
so nice to finally meet someone! what college are you applying to? pretty much the same score wise, I'm hoping to get 68-70 to stand a good chance of getting an interview! not being a mathematician I'm struggling with the problem solving questions, but am getting fairly consistent scores with the critical thinking questions. How are you preparing for the essay section? xx
Siobha
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
so nice to finally meet someone! what college are you applying to? pretty much the same score wise, I'm hoping to get 68-70 to stand a good chance of getting an interview! not being a mathematician I'm struggling with the problem solving questions, but am getting fairly consistent scores with the critical thinking questions. How are you preparing for the essay section? xx
I'm applying to Hugh's! I'm in love with the grounds, the general vibe and the cats!! For the essay section, I'm just going to practise writing a few in the time limit and try and get my arguments to be as concise as i can (I've not had to write anything other than my personal statement since GCSE) but I dont think I'm going to spend too long worrying about it
monsixo
Rep:
?
So we have 90minutes for the 50questions but does this time include transferring the answers onto the answer sheet or we are given extra time to do that? I don't know about you but I can't manage to do all questions in the time available.
ExtremelyGeeked
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by monsixo)
So we have 90minutes for the 50questions but does this time include transferring the answers onto the answer sheet or we are given extra time to do that? I don't know about you but I can't manage to do all questions in the time available.
We aren't given any extra time to bubble in our answers, unfortunately.
Siobha
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
One tip I've seen people say is try and do it in 80 minutes to force yourself to speed up, then once you do them with 90 again you have more time to check answers and think things through

If you really cant speed up like that, try familiarising yourself with what 2 minutes feels like in exam conditions. Then, go through and do the exam, but if you hit 2 minutes and you are nowhere near the answer, GUESS. The worst thing you can do on a multiple choice test that doesnt deduct marks for wrong answers is to leave any questions blank. It's not ideal, but it's better than losing all the marks for those questions! (Also, if you've spent 2 mins on a question you can usually rule out a few answers. So if you've managed to rule out 2 out of the five answers, you have a 1/3 chance of getting it right by guessing which isn't too bad)
monsixo
Rep:
?
I was thinking about answering the critical thinking questions first and then start answering the problem solving ones for example math questions since these are the ones I struggle with the most. Does this sound like a good idea to you? I think it would be time saving and that way I will have answered more questions
Presence
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was thinking about answering the critical thinking questions first and then start answering the problem solving ones for example math questions since these are the ones I struggle with the most. Does this sound like a good idea to you? I think it would be time saving and that way I will have answered more questions
do what you think is best
lexiwilliamz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ahahah I'm said other HumSci applicant. Hello

All girls so far. I'm in the same boat with the problem solving questions but have been getting a decent overall score so hopefully it should be ok on the day
EmmaMurphy25
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lexiwilliamz)
ahahah I'm said other HumSci applicant. Hello

All girls so far. I'm in the same boat with the problem solving questions but have been getting a decent overall score so hopefully it should be ok on the day
yes, getting a bit nervous now ahaha! can't wait to finish revising TSA and get on with life... anybody got any offers?! xx
monsixo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
One day until the test guys!! Wish you luck and success!
Siobha
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yes, getting a bit nervous now ahaha! can't wait to finish revising TSA and get on with life... anybody got any offers?! xx
Offers from Exeter and Durham for HumSci and Manchester and Sussex for anthropology (although i now realise im more interested in the science side oops)
EmmaMurphy25
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nice!! i live in Exeter so didn't apply, but got offers for UCL HumSci and Warwick and Cardiff for Law and anthropology! xx
monsixo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
How did you get offers so early? Aren't they made in January? I still haven't applied to other unis than oxford
lexiwilliamz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yeah I've got offers from UCL and Exeter for human sciences, durham for health and human sciences and Liverpool for evolutionary anthropology xx
Siobha
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nice!! i live in Exeter so didn't apply, but got offers for UCL HumSci and Warwick and Cardiff for Law and anthropology! xx
Wait... you live in Exeter?! I live 20 minutes away !! What are the odds ahaha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

what's your favourite season?