Change, coppers etc Watch

XxJaninexX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Since the start of college i have been putting pennies, 2ps, 5ps, 10ps, and the odd 20p in a jar.

2 years later the jars really fully (its pretty big) and i feel i want to spend the money and treat myself lol.

Just wondering, you know that coinstar or whatever they are things in supermarkets, how much do they charge you?
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They take 7% of your money basically...

I still love them though, its lovely having a big hoard of coppers cashed in
Prudy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's better to count it out yourself and take it to the bank.
PinPin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i had a jar like this and my mum wouldn't let me go to a coinstar thing cos of how much they take off you!

i had to count all the money myself.

honestly, no matter how much they charge you, don't try to count it yourself.
XxJaninexX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Lol. I did attempt to count it, but i cant stand the smell that gets on your hands, so quickly gave up
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
Put it in bags and take it to the bank. There's nothing worse than being ripped off by these Coinstar machines which steal most of your money and make an embarrassing racket in the process.
HCD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by XxJaninexX)
Lol. I did attempt to count it, but i cant stand the smell that gets on your hands, so quickly gave up
The smell of copper is glorious! :mad:
nearlyheadlessian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Count the money yourself! It's reasonable to assume you'll have a good £50 or so, if not more, in your jar. You hardly want to start handing over £2 or £3 to a machine do you?
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by secretmessages)
Put it in bags and take it to the bank. There's nothing worse than being ripped off by these Coinstar machines which steal most of your money and make an embarrassing racket in the process.
7% is hardly 'most'...
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Only £50 if it's a really big jar. You probably have a few quid of coppers and a few quid of 5ps, 10ps and 20ps. To be honest I find coppers completely useless but the others quite handy.
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, but it's 7% of the value you'd lose. I would certainly count it, bag it, and take it to the bank.
linkdapink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I counted out £80 in coppers once. Its fine, just really time consuming. Make sure you have plenty of those bag things, and don't mix coin.
Norfolkadam
Report 10 years ago
I count my coppers up every two months. I have about £150 of coppers in a box under my bed right now, all divided. I'm saving them for a rainy day and a taxi ride to the bank.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oddball)
Yes, but it's 7% of the value you'd lose. I would certainly count it, bag it, and take it to the bank.
...but when you factor in the time and effort of counting and separating all of the coins out, labelling bags, etc then making a special trip to the bank, no doubt using petrol, more of your time, more of your effort, etc it isn't worth 7%.

You could just pour the jar into the machine just before you go to the supermarket and have done with it, the convenience and absence of time and effort on your part is worth paying the 7%.
the_fredster_001
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
apparently you get the most for your money melting copper coins down and selling it by the kilogram. However thats illegal....
Oddball
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
...but when you factor in the time and effort of counting and separating all of the coins out, labelling bags, etc then making a special trip to the bank, no doubt using petrol, more of your time, more of your effort, etc it isn't worth 7%.

You could just pour the jar into the machine just before you go to the supermarket and have done with it, the convenience and absence of time and effort on your part is worth paying the 7%.
Well, perhaps. It's up to the OP.
Aconite
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Has anyone else got a Terramundi? It's like a non-openable money box which has to be "fed until full" (according to the label) and then smashed open. I only put £1, £2 and 50p coins in it and it's nearly completely full...I should have a nice hoard in there.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by the_fredster_001)
apparently you get the most for your money melting copper coins down and selling it by the kilogram. However thats illegal....
The Daily Mail did an article, the copper is worth something like 30% more than the actual value of the coins. There are a few problems, you need to separate the newer coins with newer alloys that are very low in copper (and unprofitable), you have to find a place that will smelt the copper legally (i think the DM used a place in france), you have to pay for and transport the coins (which are extremely heavy if you're looking at a decent amount of money), etc. When you factor in a cheap ferry crossing and all of the work involved, it isn't really worth it unless you're dealing with sums in the 100s region.
2nd2god
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sure you can get the bank to count them for you, if you ask nicely
as they have machine counters that count by weight, so they can count them within seconds.
If they are split into different coins.
2nd2god
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol so got to get my own smelting machine then I will clean up.
Surley you can't get punished that badly for destroying coins.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.52%
No - but I will (61)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (382)
47.45%

Watched Threads