Can I turn a 2:1 into a 1st during my final year? Watch

mark1234567890
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi everyone,

So everybody will be getting there results over the next couple of days/ weeks.

Congratulations to everybody who gets the results that they need/ desire.

I have managed to scrape a 2:1 for my second year. This is better than my prediction of a 2:2:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=563046

The question now is – can I turn that low 2:1 into a 1st for my final year.

It would be good to hear what other people think of this. Is it do-able? Did you manage to achieve this?

Or does a 2:1 in the first couple of years mean that you are destined to get a 2:1 in the final year.

Obviously your performance is based on the amount of work/ effort that you put in. I intend to work really hard during my final year and don’t think that I will take a part time job so that I can just concentrate on my studies.

I also don’t know how the final result is calculated. Obviously each university is different.

However in my case if the final year is worth 75% compared with 25% for the second year that means I will need to get over 80% to get a first. (My degree is not in Maths BTW so I don’t fully understand how the weighting of results affects things.)

It’s all very complicated and I imagine that there will be one year of hard graft ahead for me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mark1234567890)
Hi everyone,

So everybody will be getting there results over the next couple of days/ weeks.

Congratulations to everybody who gets the results that they need/ desire.

I have managed to scrape a 2:1 for my second year. This is better than my prediction of a 2:2:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=563046

The question now is – can I turn that low 2:1 into a 1st for my final year.
I hope this helps. (You're welcome.)
jamesjenkinsy
Report 10 years ago
HAHAHA! lol sorry but that is funny. you answered your own question... You going to have to get a high percentage in your 3rd year to get a 1st, a 2:1 is more likely.

PS. Why did you give me a neg, I was trying to help.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A 1st is certainly possible, but you will have to absolutely excel in your 3rd yr. Good luck!
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It depends on your uni's system of module weighting so nobody can answer this except for you, really. Have a look at your rules of assessment or your undergradaute handbook which will tell you how your degree class is calculated and then you can work out if it's possible or not.
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's a difference between it being 'technically possible' and 'realistically attainable'. Technically, if it's 25/75 weighted and you got a 60 in year two, you only need to average a 74, which is entirely technically possible. However, whether that's realistically attainable or not depends on you. Personally I only know one person who's made that kind of leap in an essay subject.

My worry is this part:

(Original post by mark1234567890)
Or does a 2:1 in the first couple of years mean that you are destined to get a 2:1 in the final year.
I know people who've slipped the other way, too, so be careful you don't treat this as a bird in the hand so to speak. As you say, work hard and who knows what will happen - the important thing is that if you've put as much effort as possible in then you will know for sure that you couldn't have done anything more.
MelesMeles
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some universities have a principle called "exit velocity". This means that they pay attention to whether you have been improving over the three years. So if you're right on the cusp, but have improved from a low 2:1 to a high 1st, they may give you the benefit of the doubt and bump your grade by a point to reflect the hard work you did in your third year. Don't rely on this, though.
Davetherave
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MelesMeles)
Some universities have a principle called "exit velocity". This means that they pay attention to whether you have been improving over the three years. So if you're right on the cusp, but have improved from a low 2:1 to a high 1st, they may give you the benefit of the doubt and bump your grade by a point to reflect the hard work you did in your third year. Don't rely on this, though.
Why would you care about your grade being bumped if you already have a high first?
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Davetherave)
Why would you care about your grade being bumped if you already have a high first?
I suspect the implication is that you wouldn't be getting a high first overall.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If it's weighted the way you say it is, and you got over 60% this year then you need roughly 75% next year to get a first, it's doable but to get 75% it takes more than hard work, you need to have a flair and a spark for your subject - a new perspective and unique way of looking at things.
Schroedinger's Pandora
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP, I did this. I scored 63 in my second year, but like you, i wanted for a first class overall. I worked my knob off in my final year, started every piece of work when it was set (rather than procrastinating riduculously like I had done previously), and started exam revision early. I just made sure that every piece of worked I handed in was the best I could make it, and I got 78% for my final year.

Definitely doable, just depends how much you want it.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Possible but unlikely. i.e. leopards don't normally change their spots that much.

Further not sure there is that much point. e.g. employers will work off your expected Degree grade and your year 1 and 2 exam marks. Hence actually getting a 1st will not get you that big a return.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Further not sure there is that much point. e.g. employers will work off your expected Degree grade and your year 1 and 2 exam marks. Hence actually getting a 1st will not get you that big a return.
Not if he's willing to take a gap year.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by little_red_sox)
OP, I did this. I scored 63 in my second year, but like you, i wanted for a first class overall. I worked my knob off in my final year, started every piece of work when it was set (rather than procrastinating riduculously like I had done previously), and started exam revision early. I just made sure that every piece of worked I handed in was the best I could make it, and I got 78% for my final year.

Definitely doable, just depends how much you want it.
:congrats: Well done! You're an inspiration to us all!
josepharthur
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Definitely possible.
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Possible but unlikely. i.e. leopards don't normally change their spots that much.

Can I ask why this is true? Surely you get your degree class in June? Well I do cos graduation is then and you'll be applying for jobs over the summer so surely employers will know your overall degree class?
mipmapped
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Unless the reason you got a low 2:1 was pure idleness, probably not.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Christophicus)
Can I ask why this is true? Surely you get your degree class in June? Well I do cos graduation is then and you'll be applying for jobs over the summer so surely employers will know your overall degree class?
Because a lot of students can't afford to be unemployed when they graduate. Ideally, one should be applying for jobs before graduating Some schemes will close the November before graduation!
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
You often apply for jobs iun the final before you know your class, employers then tend to make you an offer sometimes conditional on a certain grade. You can of course apply after you get your degree, but most recruit in the winter/spring end of the year...
Likewise postgrad, where if anything your first and second year results are even more important.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Christophicus)
As other people have said, most people apply for jobs during their 3rd year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (207)
40.12%
No - but I will (32)
6.2%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (242)
46.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise