The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanks . It’s my first choice atm. Although I’ve seen that there are only 15 postings, so it will be very competitive. Only second year of running I understand. Good luck with the rest of your applications.
Yes I just submitted my application yesterday. I really want it but like you said must be very competitive! I have never applied to any grad schemes before despite finishing my undergrad 5 years ago but I have applied to this and CS this year, although I am not entirely sure if I want CS I think if I get to the video interview and assessment centre it could be good practice for this
I am doing, and have just got to the full application stage. If you've done this stage, how did you go about filling in the 'Previous Skills and Experience' box in the CV section vs the personal statement they ask for?

To me the personal statement should be a bit about why you want to apply for the scheme and then a bit about why you would be suitable, giving examples of things you've done that match their criteria. I had a look and found this in the Success Profiles which seems to support what I'm saying:

'If you are asked to provide a supporting statement, you should use this as an opportunity
to further highlight how you meet the criteria set out in the job description. You may wish to
include examples of how you have tackled similar tasks or demonstrated the skills outlined in
the job advertisement.'

But then what to put in the previous skills and experience box? Seems like I'd be repeating myself...
I can only tell you what I did, no idea if it is right or not at this stage.

I tried to follow the instructions in the advert. So I used the CV and experience section to demonstrate the competencies and then in the personal statement I primarily discussed my motivation.

I have applied to a different role where it explicitly said to use the personal statement to show how you meet person specification (that also had a higher word count) because they didn't ask for that here and they just asked for motivation I tried to just give what they asked for. But like I said I don't really know if that is the right to do

I would be interested in your feedback from the tests once you have submitted... I'm unsure of what counts as good feedback, given it is so competitive
Haven't got round (or plucked up the confidence) to attempt the initial tests yet. When you apply do you get a time limit to complete the tests? Do we just have to expect standard Civil Service SJTs? Well done @veg-queen for passing the initial tests! When you passed how long did you get to submit a personal statement?
Original post by connorfrench96
Haven't got round (or plucked up the confidence) to attempt the initial tests yet. When you apply do you get a time limit to complete the tests? Do we just have to expect standard Civil Service SJTs? Well done @veg-queen for passing the initial tests! When you passed how long did you get to submit a personal statement?

The deadline (sometime in Dec) is for the tests and the statement so you can do it all at once or spread out depending on how much time you have.

It was similar to the ones you do for the CS fast stream, but I found them slightly easier. You also get feedback that is much more specific than what we have had so far for the CS fast stream so it says how you did on each behaviour relative to a control group of civil servants.
Original post by veg-queen
The deadline (sometime in Dec) is for the tests and the statement so you can do it all at once or spread out depending on how much time you have.

It was similar to the ones you do for the CS fast stream, but I found them slightly easier. You also get feedback that is much more specific than what we have had so far for the CS fast stream so it says how you did on each behaviour relative to a control group of civil servants.

Really helpful, thanks. I got past the 1st stage of CS FS and am waiting for results of the WBSs so I'm hoping that I'll do ok for this. Best of luck for the rest of the application and I'm going to get mine in soon.
I can only tell you what I did, no idea if it is right or not at this stage.

I tried to follow the instructions in the advert. So I used the CV and experience section to demonstrate the competencies and then in the personal statement I primarily discussed my motivation.

I have applied to a different role where it explicitly said to use the personal statement to show how you meet person specification (that also had a higher word count) because they didn't ask for that here and they just asked for motivation I tried to just give what they asked for. But like I said I don't really know if that is the right to do

I would be interested in your feedback from the tests once you have submitted... I'm unsure of what counts as good feedback, given it is so competitive

Thank you! One last question: how did you structure your answer in the skills and experience section? Did you write in paragraphs or detail it similar to previous employment, i.e. 'Name of organisation/Role': 'Date started - Date Ended' and then the skills and experience gained from each experience underneath?
Original post by lucymellor
Thank you! One last question: how did you structure your answer in the skills and experience section? Did you write in paragraphs or detail it similar to previous employment, i.e. 'Name of organisation/Role': 'Date started - Date Ended' and then the skills and experience gained from each experience underneath?

I did not repeat the details of employment, I grouped by skill/behaviour

The more I answer these questions, the more I think of things I could have changed... I just have a lot of other things to do in the next few months and I'd already spent a lot of time working on it
(edited 4 years ago)
You also get feedback that is much more specific than what we have had so far for the CS fast stream so it says how you did on each behaviour relative to a control group of civil servants.

That sounds really useful. How long did it take for the feedback to come through for you? I've had the email saying that I can now do the personal statement/CV, but no sign of any feedback yet.
Reply 11
I am doing, and have just got to the full application stage. If you've done this stage, how did you go about filling in the 'Previous Skills and Experience' box in the CV section vs the personal statement they ask for?

To me the personal statement should be a bit about why you want to apply for the scheme and then a bit about why you would be suitable, giving examples of things you've done that match their criteria. I had a look and found this in the Success Profiles which seems to support what I'm saying:

'If you are asked to provide a supporting statement, you should use this as an opportunity
to further highlight how you meet the criteria set out in the job description. You may wish to
include examples of how you have tackled similar tasks or demonstrated the skills outlined in
the job advertisement.'

But then what to put in the previous skills and experience box? Seems like I'd be repeating myself...

I was very confused about what to put in this section as well! I don't remember exactly what I did, I think I wrote about some skills I thought were relevant. I looked at the screen for a long time before I even started typing! :confused:

Does anyone know when we'll hear about the next stage? Will they wait until the closing date?
Original post by LeapingLucy
That sounds really useful. How long did it take for the feedback to come through for you? I've had the email saying that I can now do the personal statement/CV, but no sign of any feedback yet.

After you submit the full application you can see where you ranked, something like 'you performed better than x% of people who took the test' and download a pdf with more detailed feedback
Original post by Olympe
I was very confused about what to put in this section as well! I don't remember exactly what I did, I think I wrote about some skills I thought were relevant. I looked at the screen for a long time before I even started typing! :confused:

Does anyone know when we'll hear about the next stage? Will they wait until the closing date?

I'm not expecting to hear til after the deadline in Dec but I could be wrong
After you submit the full application you can see where you ranked, something like 'you performed better than x% of people who took the test' and download a pdf with more detailed feedback

Oh, I see. Thanks! I was wondering why I couldn't see it yet.
So my feedback was that I scored better than 50% of the comparison group so literally bang average lol. I got that I was similar to the comparison group for all the behaviours except working together which was a strength and managing a quality service which was a possible area for improvement. It also said aspiration and engagement were both strengths.

For further development I got:
Practise doing similar tests online (there are many test providers that will allow participants to take tests for free).
If you are a civil servant, Civil Service Learning is a useful resource for accessing further learning support.
Explore resources and development opportunities that are available to you that focus on techniques and approaches that can be employed to develop your behaviours.
Actively seek out challenges which enable you to practise and improve your ability in these areas.

But this seems like the most generic advice ever and not particularly tailored to my feedback so maybe they just say this to everyone. Would be interested to see what other people got if they don't mind sharing!
So my feedback was that I scored better than 50% of the comparison group so literally bang average lol. I got that I was similar to the comparison group for all the behaviours except working together which was a strength and managing a quality service which was a possible area for improvement. It also said aspiration and engagement were both strengths.

For further development I got:
Practise doing similar tests online (there are many test providers that will allow participants to take tests for free).
If you are a civil servant, Civil Service Learning is a useful resource for accessing further learning support.
Explore resources and development opportunities that are available to you that focus on techniques and approaches that can be employed to develop your behaviours.
Actively seek out challenges which enable you to practise and improve your ability in these areas.

But this seems like the most generic advice ever and not particularly tailored to my feedback so maybe they just say this to everyone. Would be interested to see what other people got if they don't mind sharing!

I got the same further development haha... But I do think having a breakdown of which behaviours you performed best/worst on is helpful

I got average for most behaviours except working together/communicating and influencing were above average and aspiration/engagement were strengths.

But I think it is important to note that average is compared to current civil servants so it is saying that you're as good as people doing the job :smile:
Going to do my SJT tomorrow. I did the practise tests just now, got above average on the video scenarios and average on the written scenarios. Nervous to start!
Original post by connorfrench96
Going to do my SJT tomorrow. I did the practise tests just now, got above average on the video scenarios and average on the written scenarios. Nervous to start!

I don't know if you did the fast stream tests, but I found the DHSC SJT a lot easier than those ones - nothing to be too nervous about. Good luck :-)
Original post by LeapingLucy
I don't know if you did the fast stream tests, but I found the DHSC SJT a lot easier than those ones - nothing to be too nervous about. Good luck :-)

I did and passed them. This makes me feel better so thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending