jxggxr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey.

I currently have a job in finance. I would like to study for some qualifications in my spare time to try and gain skills and attain a higher paid job.

How useful is the AAT Level 4 Professional Diploma in accounting for my career progression? I would like to work for an accountants. What sort of roles could I apply for if I had this AAT Level 4 qualification?

Any advice appreciated. Cheers.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jxggxr)
Hey.

I currently have a job in finance. I would like to study for some qualifications in my spare time to try and gain skills and attain a higher paid job.

How useful is the AAT Level 4 Professional Diploma in accounting for my career progression? I would like to work for an accountants. What sort of roles could I apply for if I had this AAT Level 4 qualification?

Any advice appreciated. Cheers.
What is your previous level of education and grades achieved?
jxggxr
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
What is your previous level of education and grades achieved?
Hi.

I finished sixth form around 2 years ago, didn’t do very well at A Levels mainly because I hated the subjects and the lifestyle ( 2 x C). 5 A* and 6 A’s at GCSE. No interest in attending university.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi.

I finished sixth form around 2 years ago, didn’t do very well at A Levels mainly because I hated the subjects and the lifestyle ( 2 x C). 5 A* and 6 A’s at GCSE. No interest in attending university.
Cool - AAT sounds like a great choice then. AAT is a good, practical qualification. You can develop skills in an accountancy firm doing things like draft accounts, tax returns, payroll etc. In industry you could apply for jobs with titles like accounts assistant, ledger clerk etc and develop you skills should you wish to progress further.

The norm is to take level 2, then level 3 then level 4. Due to the time and cost I've heard people self study level 2 quickly and join level 3 from the offset. This takes more work but lets you progress more quickly.
jxggxr
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Cool - AAT sounds like a great choice then. AAT is a good, practical qualification. You can develop skills in an accountancy firm doing things like draft accounts, tax returns, payroll etc. In industry you could apply for jobs with titles like accounts assistant, ledger clerk etc and develop you skills should you wish to progress further.

The norm is to take level 2, then level 3 then level 4. Due to the time and cost I've heard people self study level 2 quickly and join level 3 from the offset. This takes more work but lets you progress more quickly.
Yeah sure I was thinking to start with Level 3 after just studying Level 2. I’m already a Finance Officer in quite a niche field, so my main aim of this thread was to see if doing the Level 4 would allow me to become a higher earner. I would want to do the Level 4 to get value from the whole scheme. Doing just level 2 or 3 may not help me land a job that is better paid than my current one.

What jobs can I achieve with the Level 4? Thanks.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah sure I was thinking to start with Level 3 after just studying Level 2. I’m already a Finance Officer in quite a niche field, so my main aim of this thread was to see if doing the Level 4 would allow me to become a higher earner. I would want to do the Level 4 to get value from the whole scheme. Doing just level 2 or 3 may not help me land a job that is better paid than my current one.

What jobs can I achieve with the Level 4? Thanks.
Its difficult for anyone to say what jobs you can achieve with the level 4 as practical experience is frequently far more valued that qualifications. You would be far more employable across a range of jobs which is great for flexibility and piece of mind.
DrBin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're clever enough to start studying level 3 AAT straight off. Level 4 AAT will let you get into positions like accounts assistant or finance assistant.
Once you've done AAT you'll be exempt from the first 1/3 of the next level of some professional qualifications like ACCA or CIMA, so thats nice. But as an Accountant you'll want some sort of qualification thats higher than AAT Level 4. These takes 3 years of work experience alongside passing many tests inside 5 years.
crowewba
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally I don't think doing AAT without progressing onto ACA/ACCA/CIMA will provide you with much benefit in the future in regards with progression/future aims. If you are to progress onto the advanced qualifications then yes, AAT is superb. I would also suggest starting at Level 3 as Level 2 is really basic and not worth the money, especially as it seems like you already have some accounting experience.

I've been through the AAT route and I'm now near the end of ACA, so I've been through it all! Also didn't like the idea of university so I decided to find a firm who'd fund me. It took me a while but I found one and it's worked out really well.

Is there a way you could discuss with your current employer about potentially funding your AAT?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed