The Student Room Group

AS Biology Question on Lipids

The questions says 'Plant oils (lipids) are found in seeds. What function do they perform here?' so I said it stores energy. What makes lipids suitable for this function?
Original post by denisedaniellex
The questions says 'Plant oils (lipids) are found in seeds. What function do they perform here?' so I said it stores energy. What makes lipids suitable for this function?

Look at the structure of a fatty acid, of which lipids are primarily comprised. Do you see the number of C-H and C=H bonds present. How does the number of those bonds influence the energy of the molecule? Compare this to, say a glucose molecule.

PS - glad it's all making sense from the previous question :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
Look at the structure of a fatty acid, of which lipids are primarily comprised. Do you see the number of C-H and C=H bonds present. How does the number of those bonds influence the energy of the molecule? Compare this to, say a glucose molecule.

PS - glad it's all making sense from the previous question

It doesn't tell me how many C-H bonds there are:s-smilie: All I know is that they're liquid at room temp, therefore saturated. Should I just assume they would generally have more than a carbohydrate?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check

PS - glad it's all making sense from the previous question

Also, why would more C-H bonds be good for storage?
Lipids contains a larger proportion of C to H bonds than glucose which is why they produce more ATP. But more O2 molecules are needed to break the lipid down during respiration

Quick Reply