What are some good Universities to study at for Psychology?

Watch
Charly03
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am about to fast track a set of a levels (eng language, French, psychology) my protect is a masters in phycology plus a PGCE after
So if there are any good universities you know of it would be appreciated if you might tell me which ( I have honestly no idea where I’ll go but I need options )
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
All are the same in theory.

But obviously Cambridge and Oxford are the best. The London unis KCL, UCL are very good. And any of the 'Russell Group' such as me being from the North West Manchester and Liverpool. Look at league tables but for psychology they seem pretty meaningless for instance I think Sussex is high up and Exeter but no one will known these are high up unless they studied league tables, pick the best university in any city and you'll be alright.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My impression is the best four are usually considered to be Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, and Bath. However I think most if not all of these require one or two STEM courses, and I don't believe any of the four accept psychology as a singular STEM subject (Bath might, I'm pretty sure the other three don't though). Psychology courses tend to be a bit varied in their "style" and of course in what options you can study later in the course; the four above tend to be more "scientific" in general, and so as such expect some science background from applicants. Generally the "higher ranking" universities tend to focus less on e.g. applied or clinical aspects of psychology, and more on the academic/scientific aspects of experimental psychology.

However if teaching is your interest/goal, then you may find the "Education, Psychology and Learning" track in the Education course at Cambridge appealing (however bear in mind that the education degree at Cambridge, as with all their courses, is an academic rather than vocational course, and as such does not confer qualified teacher status). Additionally if you don't plan to go into clinical psychology or any such roles that require a BPS accredited course, you can look at a lot more psychology joint honours options which don't have the BPS accreditation.

Noodlzzz is the resident psychology expert and might be able to offer some suggestions or advice on the psychology side of things. Although slightly beyond the scope of this thread perhaps, on the education/PGCE side of things 04MR17 can no doubt advise if you have any specific questions on that front
Charly03
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
QUOTE=artful_lounger;85660356]My impression is the best four are usually considered to be Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, and Bath. However I think most if not all of these require one or two STEM courses, and I don't believe any of the four accept psychology as a singular STEM subject (Bath might, I'm pretty sure the other three don't though). Psychology courses tend to be a bit varied in their "style" and of course in what options you can study later in the course; the four above tend to be more "scientific" in general, and so as such expect some science background from applicants. Generally the "higher ranking" universities tend to focus less on e.g. applied or clinical aspects of psychology, and more on the academic/scientific aspects of experimental psychology.

However if teaching is your interest/goal, then you may find the "Education, Psychology and Learning" track in the Education course at Cambridge appealing (however bear in mind that the education degree at Cambridge, as with all their courses, is an academic rather than vocational course, and as such does not confer qualified teacher status). Additionally if you don't plan to go into clinical psychology or any such roles that require a BPS accredited course, you can look at a lot more psychology joint honours options which don't have the BPS accreditation.

Noodlzzz is the resident psychology expert and might be able to offer some suggestions or advice on the psychology side of things. Although slightly beyond the scope of this thread perhaps, on the education/PGCE side of things 04MR17 can no doubt advise if you have any specific questions on that front [/QUOTE]

(Sorry I’m new to this forum so idk how it works, trying to answer your comment)

I only want todo the PGCE as a backup for a possible career change later in life and I’m thinking about forensic/criminal psychology, educational psychology XD or industrial psychology

This might affect what uni I should go to
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Charly03)
QUOTE=artful_lounger;85660356]My impression is the best four are usually considered to be Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, and Bath. However I think most if not all of these require one or two STEM courses, and I don't believe any of the four accept psychology as a singular STEM subject (Bath might, I'm pretty sure the other three don't though). Psychology courses tend to be a bit varied in their "style" and of course in what options you can study later in the course; the four above tend to be more "scientific" in general, and so as such expect some science background from applicants. Generally the "higher ranking" universities tend to focus less on e.g. applied or clinical aspects of psychology, and more on the academic/scientific aspects of experimental psychology.

Noodlzzz is the resident psychology expert and might be able to offer some suggestions or advice on the psychology side of things. Although slightly beyond the scope of this thread perhaps, on the education/PGCE side of things 04MR17 can no doubt advise if you have any specific questions on that front

Shouldn't really affect which uni you choose due to the BPS accreditation (which is necessary for those careers).

An issue you may have is lack of science subjects at A-level. Most of the top uni's for psychology (as mentioned oxbridge, UCL, Bath & KCL come to mind) will ask for 2+ where psychology counts as one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed