The Student Room Group

Final UCAS Uni choice

Hi guys, so I’m doing a mixture of BTEC in applied science and A Level sociology with predicted grades D*DA*. The Unis I’m applying certainly are Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham but for my last choice my tutor suggested I put Aston University in case my choices are iffy about my qualification. Thing is, all the Unis I’m applying to have my combination listed and I exceed the grades needed (for Law LLB) so I don’t see the point in putting Aston when even if I get in I’m still going to reject them. I believe one of the other 4 will surely give me an offer. I want to substitute Aston for Kings College, the way I see it if i dont get any offers, Aston should still have places in clearing 🤷🏽*♂️
Should I go for Kings? Or play it abnormally safe and keep Aston in case for some God forsaken reason i get no other offers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by nathan_nacu
Hi guys, so I’m doing a mixture of BTEC in applied science and A Level sociology with predicted grades D*DA*. The Unis I’m applying certainly are Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham but for my last choice my tutor suggested I put Aston University in case my choices are iffy about my qualification. Thing is, all the Unis I’m applying to have my combination listed and I exceed the grades needed (for Law LLB) so I don’t see the point in putting Aston when even if I get in I’m still going to reject them. I believe one of the other 4 will surely give me an offer. I want to substitute Aston for Kings College, the way I see it if i dont get any offers, Aston should still have places in clearing 🤷🏽*♂️
Should I go for Kings? Or play it abnormally safe and keep Aston in case for some God forsaken reason i get no other offers?

What does safe mean for you?

- having the best chance of getting an offer from a brandname university or
- making sure that you get an offer?

There is not right and wrong answer to this.
Original post by ajj2000
What does safe mean for you?

- having the best chance of getting an offer from a brandname university or
- making sure that you get an offer?

There is not right and wrong answer to this.

Basically the only reason My tutor wants me to keep Aston is so I’m assured at least one offer. But i feel i will definitely get an offer from one of my other 4 choices so that makes it a null addition as it’s literally my 5th option. I would prefer to take a go at Kings but she keeps telling me to imagine not getting any offers.......... idk i just feel if i dont there are plenty of clearing Unis i can get into
Reply 3
Basically the only reason My tutor wants me to keep Aston is so I’m assured at least one offer. But i feel i will definitely get an offer from one of my other 4 choices so that makes it a null addition as it’s literally my 5th option. I would prefer to take a go at Kings but she keeps telling me to imagine not getting any offers.......... idk i just feel if i dont there are plenty of clearing Unis i can get into

Ok - you are applying for a competitive course with not the ideal qualifications. Effectively in a very different position to most UCAS applicants but in line with applicants for economics and medicine. You have to decide:

- do you want to maximise your chance of a place at a top course; or
- maximise your chance of an offer.

To some extent it depends on how you would cope with getting no offers, and willingness to take a year out. This is exactly the position loads of top applicants for economics face if they apply to Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, LSE and Bristol. Nothing wrong with doing so and lots of future benefits. You do need to understand the risk.
Original post by ajj2000
Ok - you are applying for a competitive course with not the ideal qualifications. Effectively in a very different position to most UCAS applicants but in line with applicants for economics and medicine. You have to decide:

- do you want to maximise your chance of a place at a top course; or
- maximise your chance of an offer.

To some extent it depends on how you would cope with getting no offers, and willingness to take a year out. This is exactly the position loads of top applicants for economics face if they apply to Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, LSE and Bristol. Nothing wrong with doing so and lots of future benefits. You do need to understand the risk.

I’m willing to maximise my chances for a top Uni, if i fail then I’ll just know I tried and go somewhere else on clearing. I’m applying for Law so yh its competitive
Reply 5
I’m willing to maximise my chances for a top Uni, if i fail then I’ll just know I tried and go somewhere else on clearing. I’m applying for Law so yh its competitive

So go for it and apply for Kings if you can afford London or somewhere like Nottingham if you meet their requirements and prefer to be outside of London. You have to be in it to win it.
Original post by ajj2000
So go for it and apply for Kings if you can afford London or somewhere like Nottingham if you meet their requirements and prefer to be outside of London. You have to be in it to win it.

I actually live in London but ideally wouldn’t want to go Uni there but I wouldn’t turn down an opportunity at Kings
Reply 7
I actually live in London but ideally wouldn’t want to go Uni there but I wouldn’t turn down an opportunity at Kings

Then its a great choice! You leave the option open, get to see other universities if and when you get offers and can compare your options.

The main problem you have is that both Bristol and I believe Kings require LNAT and you havent mentioned that. Are you sitting LNAT. If not dont waste options on universities that require it. Look for universities like Exeter that dont require it. I dont think you necessarily need to look at Aston. The evidence from the Law forum shows universities tend to accept lower grades than yours and most universities will accept your mix of BTEC and A level. The issue of LNAT however is something you need to consider.
Original post by swanseajack1
The main problem you have is that both Bristol and I believe Kings require LNAT and you havent mentioned that. Are you sitting LNAT. If not dont waste options on universities that require it. Look for universities like Exeter that dont require it. I dont think you necessarily need to look at Aston. The evidence from the Law forum shows universities tend to accept lower grades than yours and most universities will accept your mix of BTEC and A level. The issue of LNAT however is something you need to consider.

My LNAT is booked for November 10th I’ve been practicing hard and my lowest practice score so far is 22, I’m rather confident but scared but i feel i can do good, i just need to perfect my essay writing and it’ll be fine

You can apply to four now, leaving your fifth choice blank. You can fill it in later depending on the decisions you receive.
Original post by ageshallnot
You can apply to four now, leaving your fifth choice blank. You can fill it in later depending on the decisions you receive.

I think this is a really good suggestion for @nathan_nacu - as long as applications are made by 15th January there is no disadvantge to leaving one choice for later and seeing how the other 4 go.

Don't waste a choice on Aston
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by harrysbar
I think this is a really good suggestion for @nathan_nacu - as long as applications are made by 15th January there is no disadvantge to leaving one choice for later and seeing how the other 4 go.

Don't waste a choice on Aston

You can leave a choice? How does that work, do I just submit my application with 4 then if I want to add one later i can just log back in and add it? My school never really spoke too much about this
You can leave a choice? How does that work, do I just submit my application with 4 then if I want to add one later i can just log back in and add it? My school never really spoke too much about this

Yes it is not very widely talked about for some reason (I think even some school careers staff don't know you can do it) but you can! You submit your application with 4 and just add one other in a few weeks time when hopefully you will have had some initial responses back. The option to add a fifth choice will be available on UCAS Track and you just add it when you are ready to (UCAS say by the 30th June but I suggest by 15th January to be sure of that 5th choice not being considered Late)

This is what UCAS say about it in their FAQ but if in doubt, give them a call. Note that you can only add an extra choice if you have not accepted or declined any offers

https://www.ucas.com/file/130391/download?token=oeEZRiu_
(edited 4 years ago)

@harrysbar has explained it perfectly. You are in the ideal situation to use this option.
Original post by harrysbar
Yes it is not very widely talked about for some reason (I think even some school careers staff don't know you can do it) but you can! You submit your application with 4 and just add one other in a few weeks time when hopefully you will have had some initial responses back. The option to add a fifth choice will be available on UCAS Track and you just add it when you are ready to (UCAS say by the 30th June but I suggest by 15th January to be sure of that 5th choice not being considered Late)

This is what UCAS say about it in their FAQ but if in doubt, give them a call. Note that you can only add an extra choice if you have not accepted or declined any offers

https://www.ucas.com/file/130391/download?token=oeEZRiu_

Than
Original post by ageshallnot
@harrysbar has explained it perfectly. You are in the ideal situation to use this option.

Yes! Thank you so much to both of you! This is the most help I’ve gotten I really needed this😭 thanks especially to you Harry for helping me along this application process
My LNAT is booked for November 10th I’ve been practicing hard and my lowest practice score so far is 22, I’m rather confident but scared but i feel i can do good, i just need to perfect my essay writing and it’ll be fine

You have had excellent advice about holding back a decision on your 5th choice. It might be worth just putting in 3 choices and holding Bristol and Kings back until you have your LNAT result. That will allow you to apply to non LNAT universities should you not achieve the required mark in LNAT.

I also note you are not meeting the required entry criteria for Birmingham who want D*D* so I would consider whether that is your best choice. You do however appear to meet the criteria for Cardiff, Exeter, Lancaster and Liverpool in addition to Bristol provided you achieve a high LNAT score. It isnt clear whether Kings will accept you BTEC so I would ring them before applying.
You have had excellent advice about holding back a decision on your 5th choice. It might be worth just putting in 3 choices and holding Bristol and Kings back until you have your LNAT result. That will allow you to apply to non LNAT universities should you not achieve the required mark in LNAT.

I also note you are not meeting the required entry criteria for Birmingham who want D*D* so I would consider whether that is your best choice. You do however appear to meet the criteria for Cardiff, Exeter, Lancaster and Liverpool in addition to Bristol provided you achieve a high LNAT score. It isnt clear whether Kings will accept you BTEC so I would ring them before applying.

I rang them today and they said they accept the qualification and things are analysed case by case (for Kings)
Birmingham have unusually high BTEC requirements considering they aren’t even a top 20 law school right now who gives out unconditional offers anyhow as a marketing tool to draw students and for a levels they only ask AAA, this actually put me off the Unj almost completely and at this point they’re my last choice. Not really fans of snob traditional Unis who act like a BTEC isn’t difficult and we must work harder to prove ourselves
(edited 4 years ago)
I rang them today and they said they accept the qualification and things are analysed case by case (for Kings)
Birmingham have unusually high BTEC requirements considering they aren’t even a top 20 law school right now who gives out unconditional offers anyhow as a marketing tool to draw students and for a levels they only ask AAA, this actually put me off the Unj almost completely and at this point they’re my last choice. Not really fans of snob traditional Unis who act like a BTEC isn’t difficult and we must work harder to prove ourselves

Have you considered Exeter. It is a very highly ranked university and Law School where you actually meet the requirements and will probably get an offer. I havent looked at it but what about Southampton. I checked out Manchester and they for some reason dont accept BTEC. If you are looking for somewhere with good nightlife look at Cardiff
Have you considered Exeter. It is a very highly ranked university and Law School where you actually meet the requirements and will probably get an offer. I havent looked at it but what about Southampton. I checked out Manchester and they for some reason dont accept BTEC. If you are looking for somewhere with good nightlife look at Cardiff

I don’t drink so nightlife isn’t really my thing, i looked at Exeter but idk the diversity isn’t that much that I’d like and I’m not to keen on its location. I like the Midlands and the North where I’m well connected and can visit my friends or London (where i live) and i also want a nice, modern city. Exeter just wasn’t my vibe, likewise Southampton. There weren’t many Unis that fit my description of what i like but I’m really happy with my 4 choices nd i meet the grades for all of them (Bristol hve my course listed). Tbh I’m only putting Kings as its better choice than Aston to me as I at least kno I tried

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending