The Student Room Group

Oxford UNIQ summer school

I'm considering applying for UNIQ summer schools (2020) when applications open in December so I was wondering if anyone has previously been on one and found it to be a valuable experience? Also, I'm a bit confused at to whether it is actually worth applying at all seeing as my area doesn't fit into the preferred ACORN and POLAR categories (relating to average university attendance, household income etc. in your local vicinity) but I don't know if this is just a preference or an essential? I do attend a state school though and the course I would be applying for (Linguistics or Spanish) isn't overly competitive compared to things like Medicine but I am aware there will still be many more applicants than places available. Finally, does the application require references from teachers and how strong does your 'personal statement' have to be? Thanks:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by i77
I'm considering applying for UNIQ summer schools (2020) when applications open in December so I was wondering if anyone has previously been on one and found it to be a valuable experience? Also, I'm a bit confused at to whether it is actually worth applying at all seeing as my area doesn't fit into the preferred ACORN and POLAR categories (relating to average university attendance, household income etc. in your local vicinity) but I don't know if this is just a preference or an essential? I do attend a state school though and the course I would be applying for (Linguistics or Spanish) isn't overly competitive compared to things like Medicine but I am aware there will still be many more applicants than places available. Finally, does the application require references from teachers and how strong does your 'personal statement' have to be? Thanks:smile:

I attended the UNIQ summer school in 2016, and I'd say it was a valuable experience. I think was a good taster of what it would be like to study psychology (the subject I chose) at university and what university life in general is like. Obviously they're trying to show off the best bits to you so it's not a super-realistic experience, but it definitely gives you the gist of what university is like. If nothing else, I remember having a lot of fun! I think it's useful even if you're not certain about attending Oxford: some of the stuff is Oxford specific, but most of it isn't. I didn't ended up going to Oxford (I'm at York, which suits my specific research interests better) and I still value the experience.

I don't think there's any harm in applying. I wasn't sure if I'd fit the criteria, but I got a place. I just checked my ACORN and POLAR categories and the results were significantly different depending on which of my parent's addresses I used, even though their houses are only a 15 minute drive apart. My point is that ACORN and POLAR are not perfect indicators of your background, so they're likely to consider it alongside other information. You can always email the applications people about their criteria if you're still unsure whether it's worth applying.

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions about references or personal statement. You want to do everything you can to tip things in your favour though, so I'd recommend working hard on the personal statement. You can reuse parts of the UNIQ personal statement for your university personal statement, so it's not like it's a waste of effort.
Reply 2
Original post by Darelz
I attended the UNIQ summer school in 2016, and I'd say it was a valuable experience. I think was a good taster of what it would be like to study psychology (the subject I chose) at university and what university life in general is like. Obviously they're trying to show off the best bits to you so it's not a super-realistic experience, but it definitely gives you the gist of what university is like. If nothing else, I remember having a lot of fun! I think it's useful even if you're not certain about attending Oxford: some of the stuff is Oxford specific, but most of it isn't. I didn't ended up going to Oxford (I'm at York, which suits my specific research interests better) and I still value the experience.

I don't think there's any harm in applying. I wasn't sure if I'd fit the criteria, but I got a place. I just checked my ACORN and POLAR categories and the results were significantly different depending on which of my parent's addresses I used, even though their houses are only a 15 minute drive apart. My point is that ACORN and POLAR are not perfect indicators of your background, so they're likely to consider it alongside other information. You can always email the applications people about their criteria if you're still unsure whether it's worth applying.

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions about references or personal statement. You want to do everything you can to tip things in your favour though, so I'd recommend working hard on the personal statement. You can reuse parts of the UNIQ personal statement for your university personal statement, so it's not like it's a waste of effort.

Thank you, this is really helpful! To be honest, even if I do have doubts about whether it is worth applying, there is no harm done in doing so anyway, is there? :smile:
Reply 3
I’d say there’s no harm in applying. But I wasn’t offered a place as my background was too “privileged” and my postcode (in essence).
Original post by Darelz

how do you find out what your polar and acorn categories are? I can't seem to find anything on google
Reply 5
Original post by mpaprika
how do you find out what your polar and acorn categories are? I can't seem to find anything on google

I found the links on the UNIQ website. POLAR link, ACORN link.
definitely go for it! don't stress too much about the personal statement, I just tried to show that I was thinking ~intellectually~ about the subject, mostly relating it to a documentary I watched (anthropology and archaeology). they're looking for potential rather than a fully fledged application, also you don't have much space. I don't think I want to apply there because it seems too stressful but it definitely demystified the whole thing and made me feel like I would be able to get in if I really wanted to!
Reply 7
Original post by ellanewmarch
definitely go for it! don't stress too much about the personal statement, I just tried to show that I was thinking ~intellectually~ about the subject, mostly relating it to a documentary I watched (anthropology and archaeology). they're looking for potential rather than a fully fledged application, also you don't have much space. I don't think I want to apply there because it seems too stressful but it definitely demystified the whole thing and made me feel like I would be able to get in if I really wanted to!

Thank you, this is really helpful:smile:
Original post by i77
Thank you, this is really helpful:smile:

I'm glad, feel free to ask me any other questions about it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ellanewmarch
I'm glad, feel free to ask me any other questions about it :smile:

Actually-could you expand a bit on why you decided not to apply to Oxbridge because I’m a bit on the fence about it myself? :smile:
Original post by i77
Actually-could you expand a bit on why you decided not to apply to Oxbridge because I’m a bit on the fence about it myself? :smile:

I would suggest you go to the Oxford Open Days in July and Sept as it will give you an idea of what you would be signing up for.My son wanted to apply but I was concerned he might not fit in/be smart enough.However after the open days I realised it would be just right for him.My nephew had the opposite response after going on a taster course and decided it was not for him.Son went to a Cambridge Summer School as a free place was offered to his school at the last minute.He found it really useful in getting a taste of what Oxbridge would be like.
Reply 11
Original post by Scotney
I would suggest you go to the Oxford Open Days in July and Sept as it will give you an idea of what you would be signing up for.My son wanted to apply but I was concerned he might not fit in/be smart enough.However after the open days I realised it would be just right for him.My nephew had the opposite response after going on a taster course and decided it was not for him.Son went to a Cambridge Summer School as a free place was offered to his school at the last minute.He found it really useful in getting a taste of what Oxbridge would be like.

Thank you! I will definitely be going to the open days:smile: My mum feels the same as you did-she thinks I’ll struggle with feeling like I don’t fit in. I’m a bit worried about it myself and also about not making friends because of not fitting in due to being from Manchester, going to a state school and not speaking with a ‘posh’ accent but I also know there are plenty of people there that aren’t ‘posh’ and haven’t gone to private schools and I also realise that ‘posh’, upper class people are just people so I shouldn’t feel any different or inadequate compared to them. I’m also a bit worried about my mental health there because even though I can and am happy to handle a significant workload, it is obviously extremely intense there and I get stressed very easily so I don’t know if I’d crumble under the pressure. Whilst obviously being an academic person who is really passionate about my subject, making new friends and having fun and new experiences is a key part of going to uni for me so I’m worried the workload as well as not making friends if I was to get into Oxford would prevent me from doing this.
Original post by i77
Thank you! I will definitely be going to the open days:smile: My mum feels the same as you did-she thinks I’ll struggle with feeling like I don’t fit in. I’m a bit worried about it myself and also about not making friends because of not fitting in due to being from Manchester, going to a state school and not speaking with a ‘posh’ accent but I also know there are plenty of people there that aren’t ‘posh’ and haven’t gone to private schools and I also realise that ‘posh’, upper class people are just people so I shouldn’t feel any different or inadequate compared to them. I’m also a bit worried about my mental health there because even though I can and am happy to handle a significant workload, it is obviously extremely intense there and I get stressed very easily so I don’t know if I’d crumble under the pressure. Whilst obviously being an academic person who is really passionate about my subject, making new friends and having fun and new experiences is a key part of going to uni for me so I’m worried the workload as well as not making friends if I was to get into Oxford would prevent me from doing this.

On the workload front my son actually thought it was nothing compared to A levels as only one essay a week seemed fairly doable after doing History and Geography at A level.
We certainly are not posh and son went to a state grammar school 20 miles away as schools in our area were so poor.The class thing is only a problem if you let it be.This was underlined for us when a very eminent professor we were chatting to with another family whose daughter went to private school turned around and said' Well it is obvious who went to private school out of you two, him,' pointing to my son.Luckily both families did not take offence and happily corrected him leaving him a bit red faced.We laughed about it afterwards and both she and my son both got places to study Biology in the end
Son picked Wadham because it has a high state school intake approx 70%.It is a left wing leaning college and people there went around denying they had been to private school as there was more street cred in coming from a state school!Once we had visited Oxford it was obvious most people were just normal people.It was also obvious son was just as clever as everyone else so why not apply.He loved Oxford and had a very busy social life including being president of one society, a member of two others plus usual bops and clubs.
The Oxford terms are short.Only eight weeks long.This means while you are there it is full on but the holidays are long and you get lots of time to recover.I think you should try to get onto the UNIQ scheme and see what you make of Oxford when you visit.Keep an open mind and ask lots of questions of tutors and current students as you go round.Then decide if it is your cup of tea or not.It is a lovely day out if nothing else!
Original post by Scotney
On the workload front my son actually thought it was nothing compared to A levels as only one essay a week seemed fairly doable after doing History and Geography at A level.
We certainly are not posh and son went to a state grammar school 20 miles away as schools in our area were so poor.The class thing is only a problem if you let it be.This was underlined for us when a very eminent professor we were chatting to with another family whose daughter went to private school turned around and said' Well it is obvious who went to private school out of you two, him,' pointing to my son.Luckily both families did not take offence and happily corrected him leaving him a bit red faced.We laughed about it afterwards and both she and my son both got places to study Biology in the end
Son picked Wadham because it has a high state school intake approx 70%.It is a left wing leaning college and people there went around denying they had been to private school as there was more street cred in coming from a state school!Once we had visited Oxford it was obvious most people were just normal people.It was also obvious son was just as clever as everyone else so why not apply.He loved Oxford and had a very busy social life including being president of one society, a member of two others plus usual bops and clubs.
The Oxford terms are short.Only eight weeks long.This means while you are there it is full on but the holidays are long and you get lots of time to recover.I think you should try to get onto the UNIQ scheme and see what you make of Oxford when you visit.Keep an open mind and ask lots of questions of tutors and current students as you go round.Then decide if it is your cup of tea or not.It is a lovely day out if nothing else!

I should point you to the Oxford Demystified thread on TSR by @Oxford Mum which addresses many of your concerns and has helpful tips about applying for Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest