How to be sure to do vet med? Watch

GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
This might sound a ridiculous question, but I was wondering how you guys who have applied/are going to apply for definate or are on a course already, knew you could do it?

Only I've been thinking about it, and while a part of me wants to.. I'm really not sure I could deal with it. I know there's the positive curing side, but I'm not really sure if I could deal with the downsides, especially when it's from people being cruel or neglecting animals.

I have got a weeks work experience next month which will obviously help - but I was just wondering how people dealt with the downsides.

I'm not sure if it'd suit me better to help with rescues and such while having a job elsewhere (possibly a human doctor, medicine fascinates me).

Not really sure what I'm after, so any kind of opinions would be helpful!

Obviously it's not a decision you can make lightly.
Teddy1692
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
me to! i'm realy fascinated by the medical world. I realy want to go into that field and id like to be a Gp. What subject are u doing for A level?

i was looking at the job vacancies in the research and development field and the descrition said "should enjoy studying and analysing spread sheets"!!!! shudders (grim!!)
Id rather be a GP
bumbleboy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well for me the positives out way the negatives.

For one thing much of the suffering I have seen inflicted on animals is due to ignorance rather than deliberate cruelty, and as a vet you have the option to educate the public to reduce and prevent suffering.
Also silly as it may sound when an animal is suffering be it through cruelty or ill health, I have often found it a privilege to be able to help that animal out of its suffering with dignity. (I know that sounds gushy but its true).

Id say you will still be exposed to suffering and misery in a career such as medicine and in my experience you actually see more animals suffering when you work in a rescue centre than in a vets.

However at the end of the day its very much a personal thing, that only you can decide, good luck.
tiny_tiger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was wondering how you guys who have applied/are going to apply for definate or are on a course already, knew you could do it?
I still dont, and Ive already been through my first year. Its a scary thought that in 4 years time I'll be on my own in practice. But Ive always been fascinated by animals and medicine and surgery. Ive thought about other careers but I kept coming back to vet med. If you ignore the amount of work needed at uni etc and just imagine yourself in the career...could you see yourself there for years to come? I could and if you think you would enjoy the challenge and the rewards, then consider uni. It is hard, theres no denying that. But Im sure most students will agree when I say that its also so much fun!! And yeh, it can be stressful, but if you seriously think about if you want to be in the profession badly enough, just give it your best shot and usually it turns out ok. And dont forget, you have 100 odd students feeling exactly the same so you always have the support of your friends.

I have got a weeks work experience next month which will obviously help - but I was just wondering how people dealt with the downsides.
In some ways you have to distance yourself. Concentrate on the good aspects and focus on achieving a positive outcome. There will always be negative sides to the career, and that wont change. You just have to stop yourself getting too involved or you would be an emotional wreck! And try to create positive outcomes from bad situations, like rehoming neglected animals. And remember that 90% of the time, its fine.

I'm not sure if it'd suit me better to help with rescues and such while having a job elsewhere (possibly a human doctor, medicine fascinates me).
Ok, you say medicine fascinates you and so your other option would be human medicine. If you believe you would find it difficult to deal with animal abuse and neglect, I have to ask...how would you feel if you were a doctor and were presented with a case involving child abuse or neglect of the elderly. If you cant cope with those issues in vet med, how do you expect to cope with it in human medicine? Im not criticising by any means, its good that you are seriously considering all this, thats just another thought to ponder.
GemmyMonster
Rep:
?
The difference is, I could distance myself from humans better than animals

I'd care about humans, but I view tham in an entirely different way than animals. I'm not sure if I'd find it too hard to be objectve when dealing with animals. Misery and suffering in humans doesn't bother me on the same level as it does with animals (wow, don't I sound nice :eek:), I guess I view animals as more vunerable in a sense.

Subjects are in my sig :p: - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology.

Not going to make any hasty decisions yet of course, think a week in the vets could swing me one way or the other.
karate_kat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would get as many work experience placements as possible (as well as the vets you have already sorted out), e.g. farms, rescue centre, etc. and see what you feel after that. I certainly felt that the work experience helped me made the decision to follow the vet med route.
Transatlanticdrawl_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by karate_kat)
I would get as many work experience placements as possible (as well as the vets you have already sorted out), e.g. farms, rescue centre, etc. and see what you feel after that. I certainly felt that the work experience helped me made the decision to follow the vet med route.
I completely agree with this. Although work experience was something that at first I HAD to do (obviously because it's so important for the application), it quickly became something I wanted to do, and enjoyed. It made the decision for me. It's ok seeing vets on TV, reading prospectuses, and hearing about what a vet does, but until I'd actually been covered in poo/been outside early morning/late night and experiencing what would really be classed as the cons, could I truly respect and understand the rewards/pros!

Soo what I'm saying is, OP, if you're on the fence, get out and do more work exp ! I hope it goes well for you, and I'm sure it'll help you make your mind up, and I hope you end up going for it. Also, if you're caught between vetmed, and medicine, try not to associate vetmed as the animal equivalent of being a doctor or something. It's not like they are the same but with different patients. A vet's life could (or maybe I should say will) involve being at the centre of the outdoor world, the agricultural and farming community, (and many other things of which there is no equivalent in a doctor's line of work), as WELL as the fundamental treatment of animals.
givvy
Report 10 years ago
I chose vetmed over medicine on the fact that from a young age I've been exposed to animal vomit/having to clean out cages etc and cleaning animal wounds so I'm fine with "animal gore" and was quite happy to watch operations at the vet and clear up vomit etc. but when it comes to humans, like in the programme ''paramedics'', seeing bad injuries and loads of blood or vomit and I go all queasy and lightheaded.
weird but true. I also find animals are rather more pleasant to deal with than humans and if needs be an aggressive animal can be sedated
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i wanted to work hands on with animals every day and wanted a job involving science. Easy as.
I dont know if i;ll be ablt to do it, but i certainly wouldnt be able to do anything else
Silver_Lightning
Report 10 years ago
i am exactly the same!! I really can't deal with human medicine type problems but with animals i'm completely fine and calm and get on with it. strange. I only decided on vetmed a few months ago and i'm apply in like 2 months for uni so thats stressed me out, leaving the decision that long, so i've had to jam pack time from now until application deadline with work experience to fullfill requirements.

But i chose it because i love animals, and i know i have alot to offer them. the variety and satisfaction of the vocation will keep me very motivated and happy in life, and that is one of the most important things!
bumbleboy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep im the same fine with animal mess but cant deal with human.
Weird but true.
GemmyMonster
Rep:
?
See if anything, animal mess (like blood in surgery and such, not just poo or cuts) worries me more - human stuff doesn't phase me :dontknow:

I think I could also be more prone to panicking over animals

But we shall see, going to get some experience at both, best way to do it.
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
have you had any experience with watching surgery on animals or anything? cos when watching it on tv it makes me feel a bit sick sometimes, but in real life its much better.

And im the same with not being able to stand human mess
x_Bex_x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
another one who cant stand human pain illness, cos I totally empathise with them if theres a clip on tv of someone breaking there leg and you can see the bone snap, i feel ill coz i can tell just how painfull it must be, yet its not the same with animals, for instance a golden retriever came that had had its nose run over and its bottom canines had popped through the top on its muzzle and yet that didnt faze me!
FellForAJinx
Report 10 years ago
It's really comforting to know other vet students get grossed out by people being hurt but not animals.

I thought I was just a terrible person, feeling a human's pain as if it was my own but not an animal's..
xxnikkixx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
work experience will give you all the answers! You learn to deal with all the situations and at first everyone will think that they cant deal with cruelty cases but you are helping the animals to recover/putting a stop to their suffering. I dont think anyone would go into the job without caring about animals but you have to be able to switch off and be professional rather than personally involved.
Ive found it hard as well as rewarding but theres no other job i would ever want to do.
GemmyMonster
Rep:
?

Switching off isn't one of my strong points

I think I might well be going into being a human doctor. When I'm rich enough I can start rescuing them instead

I think it could just be a better career option for me actually. Hmm.
xxnikkixx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you'd have to switch off just as much in human medicine tho. Could you cope with a family sitting around a relatives bed and you having to give them some very bad news? Or watching people slowly fade away?
In any of the medical professions there are going to be times when you need to distance yourself from what is going on around you and just do your job the best you can.
GemmyMonster
Rep:
?
I meant switching off from animals isn't a strong point. I can be a bit stupidly soft on animals
bumbleboy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im sorry but if your unable to switch off to the pain and suffering of animals in a vet surgery then you simply wont be able to work in animal welfare.

In the vet surgery yes you are exposed to suffering and cruelty but you are also often exposed to people who care as much as you do about the welfare of their pet, although this can bring an added stress to treatment of animals I have found from my work experience that the fact so many people care for animals is a positive.

In the rescue centre every single animal in unwanted and many will have horrific stories of suffering attached to them.

Dont give up on been a vet yet, gain the experience and see what the job has to offer you.
Im as soppy as hell about animals, and okay you need to be able to distance yourself from animal suffering, but in my opinion it is the very fact that you care so much that could make the difference between been a good vet and a great vet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads