?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Does anyone know
--
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have only ever heard of someone who dropped out in their first year, and simply applied to another university to start from scratch. I think the best person to ask will almost certainly be your tutor, they'll be able to find out what's involved and whether you'll be able to do it this late - I think its normally done through the usual UCAS application system, but you use a tutor's reference and academic information to apply for a place in the second/third year, rather than first, but I think that's closed for this year's cycle.
Uma!r
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You could still apply through clearing into a first year at different university this year. Not sure about 2nd or third year. You will have to contact the universities you are interested in applying to and talk to the admission tutor of the course and ask him/her about transferring.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some guy I was talking to on TSR a few hours ago transferred from Cambridge to Durham, so it is possible, I don't know the procedure though. Why not talk to the admissions tutors at your intended university?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
One of my friends has left Engineering at the end of her second year to go study Geology at Birmingham (starting from first year). From what I've heard I think the hardest part of the process was dealing with her college's Senior Tutor who was reluctant to write her a good reference.
Lord Lawz
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by serenrose)
Does anyone know anyone, or heard of anyone, who has transferred from Cambridge to another University during their degree? Or anything about the process involved?
Thanks in advance!
I think it depends on the course. I always think (don't hate me) the solution is to try to solve the current problems, even if there looks, at first sight, to be no solution. If you realised the course wasn't for you, that's perhaps a different story.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've contacted admissions tutors (or rather, their secretaries!) and some have been helpful, others not. I'm unsure about using UCAS again, deadlines, writing a new PS...all that stuff, so it would be good to hear from/of anyone who has already been through it, as my tutors and such don't seem to know much.
I think at most places they make you apply via UCAS again, which is a bit of a pain. How badly are you doing at Cambridge? Is it completely irreconcilable? Or do you just not like the course?
Lord Lawz
Report 10 years ago
I've contacted admissions tutors (or rather, their secretaries!) and some have been helpful, others not. I'm unsure about using UCAS again, deadlines, writing a new PS...all that stuff, so it would be good to hear from/of anyone who has already been through it, as my tutors and such don't seem to know much.
Email members of staff at the uni in your subject you want to transfer to explaining your situation. They will tell you the uni policy.
Lord Lawz
Report 10 years ago
I have and no response! I'm starting to wonder if these people ever check their emails...
You have to call up then. I don't think there's anything on the website for Comp. - maths says yes but rarely and you need first class marks, another department says no.
FurryFeet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think Cambridge generally try and discourage people transferring to the 2nd/3rd year at another uni, and their way of doing that is, as someone mentioned above, being VERY reluctant to write a reference to the other university. I guess this is probably why if people leave they go back to the beginning and start in the first year again at the new place as it's much less stress!
Hope you manage to get something sorted though
poofacedpoo
Report 10 years ago
Have *heard* that someone transferred from Cambridge or might have been Oxford to Plymouth... but no idea what the process involved would be, sorry. I assume through UCAS.

x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.8%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (700)
47.43%

Watched Threads