Harrysgod
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is it possible to get an A* as an overall after having a grade B in year 10. I was 2 marks of an A. I took wjec btw
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah I got from a 2 to a 8 in like 6-8 months in DT
Hazzabear
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Harrysgod)
Is it possible to get an A* as an overall after having a grade B in year 10. I was 2 marks of an A. I took wjec btw
Is your grade B from an actual exam, or is it a mock?

It is possible if you put the work in, have a look at the grade boundaries for each grade though.
Harrysgod
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazzabear)
Is your grade B from an actual exam, or is it a mock?

It is possible if you put the work in, have a look at the grade boundaries for each grade though.
Oh yes, my B was from an actual exam
Harrysgod
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Yeah I got from a 2 to a 8 in like 6-8 months in DT
That's amazing how did you do that and what exam board are you in?
Stanzz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, what subject is it? I might be able to help.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That's amazing how did you do that and what exam board are you in?
I finished my coursework with lots of detail and finished all the sections like really well and I got the highest in the 2 years they ran the NEA. I revised only for a specific type of material which is paper to gain easy marks for section B.
Harrysgod
Rep:
?
Thank you
I actually got B for all my subjects apart from physics
Biology B
Chemistry B
Physics C
Harrysgod
Rep:
?
I finished my coursework with lots of detail and finished all the sections like really well and I got the highest in the 2 years they ran the NEA. I revised only for a specific type of material which is paper to gain easy marks for section B.
That's amazing, so did you take the subject as a one year?
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That's amazing, so did you take the subject as a one year?
Nahh I did it for 2 years it’s just that the first year I barely did anything and it was just some practice manufacturing that didn’t do anything to my grade or to help prep for coursework. We learnt the theory that year so that we can have the whole year to focus on the nea the last year but I didn’t pay attention to theory at all - thus why I got a 2.
Amelia Shabir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah if it was a high B
My friend got a high B and a high A* in two consecutive years and averaged out to an A* this was in maths numeracy wjec as well so each exam was 50%
The prac exam in wjec science should also boost your grade, improving the likelihood of an A*
Harrysgod
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amelia Shabir)
Yeah if it was a high B
My friend got a high B and a high A* in two consecutive years and averaged out to an A* this was in maths numeracy wjec as well so each exam was 50%
The prac exam in wjec science should also boost your grade, improving the likelihood of an A*
Thanks so much! But what do you think I'll get as an overall for physics if I got a C in year 10 and this year (year 11) I manage to get A*s in my year 11 exam and practical? Could I still get it onto an A*
Harrysgod
Rep:
?
Nahh I did it for 2 years it’s just that the first year I barely did anything and it was just some practice manufacturing that didn’t do anything to my grade or to help prep for coursework. We learnt the theory that year so that we can have the whole year to focus on the nea the last year but I didn’t pay attention to theory at all - thus why I got a 2.
That's incredible. Are you doing a-levels now? or have you just moved to college?
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That's incredible. Are you doing a-levels now? or have you just moved to college?
Yes I’m doing a levels now at the same school I was before.
Amelia Shabir
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks so much! But what do you think I'll get as an overall for physics if I got a C in year 10 and this year (year 11) I manage to get A*s in my year 11 exam and practical? Could I still get it onto an A*
Realistically you'd get an A but it if you got near to 100% it's possible to get an A*
Triple and double science are different
If you did double you're more likely to get an A* overall but if you did triple there's a small chance
I wouldn't worry about it tho, GCSEs don't really matter once you start A level, as long as you get the right grade to take it in a level. You need to make sure you understand the course if you want to take the subject at a level as they assume that you already know 100% of the GCSE course. If there's anything you really struggle on work on it over the summer
Harrysgod
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amelia Shabir)
Realistically you'd get an A but it if you got near to 100% it's possible to get an A*
Triple and double science are different
If you did double you're more likely to get an A* overall but if you did triple there's a small chance
I wouldn't worry about it tho, GCSEs don't really matter once you start A level, as long as you get the right grade to take it in a level. You need to make sure you understand the course if you want to take the subject at a level as they assume that you already know 100% of the GCSE course. If there's anything you really struggle on work on it over the summer
Yes but what if I wanted to go to like Oxford or Cambridge wouldn't the overall of an A for physics be a setback?
Amelia Shabir
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes but what if I wanted to go to like Oxford or Cambridge wouldn't the overall of an A for physics be a setback?
Not at all
Do you want do do physics?
Oxbridge look at your general GCSEs not each one individually
If you get one a amongst all other a*s they're not gonna refuse you
Not everyone that goes to Oxbridge gets straight a*s at GCSe
In fact most don't they just get a majority a*s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?