The Student Room Group

Medical school transfer before first year completion

I am currently enrolled in an MBBS program in Dubai, UAE, in a university I did not really wish to enroll in. I am in my first year (finished a month and a half to be exact) and have not even sat for my final exams yet, which are in a month and a half. I was wondering if it was possible to transfer medical schools to the UK. I imagine that it would be a normal process of applying to a university, and losing progress I made here? I need clarification, thank you.
Original post by MohEsb
I am currently enrolled in an MBBS program in Dubai, UAE, in a university I did not really wish to enroll in. I am in my first year (finished a month and a half to be exact) and have not even sat for my final exams yet, which are in a month and a half. I was wondering if it was possible to transfer medical schools to the UK. I imagine that it would be a normal process of applying to a university, and losing progress I made here? I need clarification, thank you.

You can't transfer from abroad unless your university has a recognised transfer arrangement with a UK medical school (e.g. IMU). I don't know of any UAE medical schools with such an arrangement. If you wish to start from the beginning in the UK, you would need to apply in October 2020 for 2021 entry, so by the time you start in the UK you would be in your third year at your current medical school. Do you think that's worth it?

What are your reasons for wishing to transfer?
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy

What are your reasons for wishing to transfer?

The patient exposure here is extremely limited, fourth years are already complaining about how limited it is. The fees are also extremely expensive, even for a medical school. All in all, a degree from the UK would be stronger, with more patient exposure, and I guarantee you, cheaper. However, no; I don't think it would be worth even losing 1 year, but is there absolutely no way I can transfer soon? I have barely even started and was wondering if there is any way I can at max lose a semester. I would not mind starting all over, but not at the expense of an entire year.
paging :smile:

I would note that many medical schools (possibly most or even all of them) don't accept applications (for first year or otherwise) from students who have started a medical degree anywhere, either for any reason, or for some only in the case of exceptional extenuating circumstances. As such I think your options will be extremely limited and it may be quite unlikely a prospect.

That said, I don't know of any course in the UK, medicine or otherwise, that accepts mid-year transfers, so I think the timeline laid out by democracy above is going to be the case no matter what, unless you apply through clearing this summer to start in the next academic year (2020). Medicine courses aren't always in clearing and when they are they normally have extremely few places available.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MohEsb
The patient exposure here is extremely limited, fourth years are already complaining about how limited it is. The fees are also extremely expensive, even for a medical school. All in all, a degree from the UK would be stronger, with more patient exposure, and I guarantee you, cheaper. However, no; I don't think it would be worth even losing 1 year, but is there absolutely no way I can transfer soon? I have barely even started and was wondering if there is any way I can at max lose a semester. I would not mind starting all over, but not at the expense of an entire year.

That's really unfortunate. I can certainly understand why you'd want to transfer but I can't think of any way which you would be able to. The only thing I can suggest is re-applying via UCAS but since the 2020 entry deadline has passed that would mean starting in 2021.
Original post by MohEsb
I have barely even started and was wondering if there is any way I can at max lose a semester. I would not mind starting all over, but not at the expense of an entire year.

No chance I'm afraid.

Also, sure about that assertion on fees? Cambridge's fee is £65,000 per year on tuition alone!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending