Moved into the flat of nightmares!

Watch
jhkt
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Less than 7 days ago my boyfriend and I moved into our first flat together. During the viewing it looked good. Needed painting and cleaning but otherwise it looked perfect for us. We took it and moved in a few days later. Not until then did we find the kitchen electrics kept tripping. None of the sockets work in the bedroom. Cracks in the sockets too. It was a lot lot more dirty than we first realised. The landlord had done nothing! And you could 100% tell after all of the previous owners rubbish was still in the kitchen cupboards. Also, there was only one working fire alarm. The landlord only comes over at 7am to do stuff which is absolutely insane! Well, he says 7 its usually 40 minutes after stated time. He’s sorted the kitchen and fire alarms BUT last night the flat above had leaked water into ours! It was a nightmare. The landlord is hard to reach at the easiest of times but this time we kept calling and he replied. He told us to go upstairs and tell them. We then called pack to tell him there was no answer and asked him to ring them himself. He said this words “it’s a bit late. But yes” as if the leak was nothing to blink at! This morning he’s come around and tried to see what was wrong with the flat above but can’t work it out! He just left by saying, “when it happens again, call me. But only before 7pm” INSANE! we paid this man £770 and got nothing but hell! He was acting like a leak that’s damaged the paint and will keep happening is nothing. I don’t want to paint the hallway as I’m now worried it’ll be a waste of money!! This is ridiculous! Does anyone have any advice at all?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jhkt)
Less than 7 days ago my boyfriend and I moved into our first flat together. During the viewing it looked good. Needed painting and cleaning but otherwise it looked perfect for us. We took it and moved in a few days later. Not until then did we find the kitchen electrics kept tripping. None of the sockets work in the bedroom. Cracks in the sockets too. It was a lot lot more dirty than we first realised. The landlord had done nothing! And you could 100% tell after all of the previous owners rubbish was still in the kitchen cupboards. Also, there was only one working fire alarm. The landlord only comes over at 7am to do stuff which is absolutely insane! Well, he says 7 its usually 40 minutes after stated time. He’s sorted the kitchen and fire alarms BUT last night the flat above had leaked water into ours! It was a nightmare. The landlord is hard to reach at the easiest of times but this time we kept calling and he replied. He told us to go upstairs and tell them. We then called pack to tell him there was no answer and asked him to ring them himself. He said this words “it’s a bit late. But yes” as if the leak was nothing to blink at! This morning he’s come around and tried to see what was wrong with the flat above but can’t work it out! He just left by saying, “when it happens again, call me. But only before 7pm” INSANE! we paid this man £770 and got nothing but hell! He was acting like a leak that’s damaged the paint and will keep happening is nothing. I don’t want to paint the hallway as I’m now worried it’ll be a waste of money!! This is ridiculous! Does anyone have any advice at all?
What does it say in your contract about repairs? What kind of contract do you have, e.g. assured shorthold?

Don't spend your own money on decorating until you know that your complaints are being dealt with and that you're actually going to stay in that flat.
yelir
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Read your contract and see what it states about cancellation, and also about repairs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (639)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.22%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads