Is Maths, F. Maths, Bio and Chem a good combination? Watch

SunnyLim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Alright so I'm taking A-Levels next year and I have interests for medicine, data science and computer science. To keep my options open, I'm planning to take Maths, F. Maths, Bio and Chem. I'll probably drop either FM or Bio once I make up my mind. Is this combination good? I'm a slightly above average student who can handle slightly above average workloads. I really like Biology and have a strong interest in medicine but I'm attracted to the job prospects of data science, although I don't know what data scientists really do exactly. The reason why I don't take physics is because I have no interest for it. I can study for it and score, but I just find it boring. Is it okay to not take physics before entering the data science or computer science field?
cath_slater
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That’s a really good combination considering you’re not 100% sure on what to do at the end of it. You’ll probably find that most people who do comp sci will do physics as that’s the go to option as well as maths
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's a reasonable combination, although FM is pretty much pointless for medicine, and generally less relevant for biological sciences than physical sciences. However more mathematical background, preparation, and maturity is always good to have going into the sciences! Starting off with FM then is not necessarily a bad option.

You could always drop FM after year 12 if you decide you are definitely going to apply to a course where it isn't necessary. However if your school structures their maths/FM teaching so you do all of A-level Maths and take the exam in year 12, then do all of FM an take the exam for that in year 13, you should contact universities you may wish to apply to in order to check whether this is acceptable as some may expect you to be taking a full set of 3 exams in year 13 (e.g. most medical schools and Oxbridge).

Physics isn't necessary for CS, mathematics, or any of those subjects that might overlap these (such as data science). While fundamentally computers are physical objects that function following physical laws, the "lower level" functioning of computers in that sense tends to be covered by electronic/computer engineering degrees, rather than computer science ones (where you typically cover an overview of computer architecture and so on but won't be learning the details of semiconductor physics).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?