The Student Room Group

IOT Changes

As a head's up to those going down the officer route...

Was talking to a few old colleagues at the weekend, including my old IOT flight commander, as well as a few very recently graduated officers; there are changes afoot to IOT.

As of (maybe) August it's moving to FOUR terms of SIX weeks apiece.

This gives them a one size course that allows all the different types of joiners to get involved.

Starting on day one term one would be all the direct entrants.
Starting on day one term two would be all the JNCO and below ex-rankers.
Starting on day one term three would be the SNCO ex-rankers.
And starting in term four would be the WO ex-rankers (though this one might not be on day one, as the old WO commissioning course was just one week long iirc).

So the SERE separate course is no more.

Also, Ex Vital Edge will be removed from the course.

I'm not sure what it means for doctors, lawyers, God-botherers, etc. Educated guess is they'd start at the beginning of term 3.
(edited 4 years ago)
Standby for mass commissions! Any idea when this starts?
Reply 2
Original post by AlphaTango
Standby for mass commissions! Any idea when this starts?

Quantity wouldn't be any different. It's just how they enter the course that's changing.

And no. Next year at some point.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
Quantity wouldn't be any different. It's just how they enter the course that's changing.

This is good gen. At the moment the new course is fragged to commence in August 20 - at the moment!
Original post by Drewski

Negative. More will go through each year.
Reply 5
Original post by EconWarrior
Negative. More will go through each year.

No, I meant that no more would go through than would anyway, unlike AT's suggestion of 'mass commissions'. The rationalising of the various IOT courses (IOT, SERE, WO) doesn't mean there'll be more than before, it'll just be easier to administer.

The most recent IOT had ~100 on it, mine had 150, so numbers aren't really that much of a drastic change, barring natural fluctuations.
Original post by Drewski
No, I meant that no more would go through than would anyway, unlike AT's suggestion of 'mass commissions'. The rationalising of the various IOT courses (IOT, SERE, WO) doesn't mean there'll be more than before, it'll just be easier to administer.

The most recent IOT had ~100 on it, mine had 150, so numbers aren't really that much of a drastic change, barring natural fluctuations.

I just mean I know a lot of individuals who are considering the application, when IOT reduced to 24 weeks they were more interested. Now if it’s only 6/12 weeks I can see that being the clincher to apply. Though 60% of my IOT were already ex serving!
Reply 7
Original post by AlphaTango
I just mean I know a lot of individuals who are considering the application, when IOT reduced to 24 weeks they were more interested. Now if it’s only 6/12 weeks I can see that being the clincher to apply. Though 60% of my IOT were already ex serving!

Manning will still have a certain throughput target though, so it won't alter too much.

They need x number of non graduate DEs to enter at 18 alongside y number of graduate 21 year olds along with z number of ex-rankers of 23+ to ensure whatever branch has a good officer cadre and the branch can sustain itself.

More being interested doesn't mean more will get through.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi Drewski, any news on the new 4 x 6 week course yet? I'm commissioning from the rank and just interested in the chances of me falling on my feet with a shorter IOT. TIA
Reply 9
Any more info on the new 4 x 6 week course yet? I'm commissioning from the ranks and just wondered if I may be lucky enough to get on a thinned out course in August 20? TIA
Reply 10
Original post by Tiger044
Hi Drewski, any news on the new 4 x 6 week course yet? I'm commissioning from the rank and just interested in the chances of me falling on my feet with a shorter IOT. TIA

See post #4
Original post by Drewski
See post #4

Seen, just wondering if you or Fast74 have heard any updates yet. Oh and sorry for the double posting, first timer...
Original post by Tiger044
Seen, just wondering if you or Fast74 have heard any updates yet. Oh and sorry for the double posting, first timer...

Hi

Once we've got full confirmation it will be posted on the RAF Recruitment website and you'll get the full joining instructions relative to your own course (depending on where you'd slot it etc).

One of us will no doubt advise on here too! ;-)

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

Once we've got full confirmation it will be posted on the RAF Recruitment website and you'll get the full joining instructions relative to your own course (depending on where you'd slot it etc).

One of us will no doubt advise on here too! ;-)

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Many thanks Adam, I know from the PAB via my recruiter that the dates for August are not (officially) out yet or the definitive on how the new course may work, just trying to forward plan as much as poss with an overseas move back to the UK looming prior to my possible start date. Have my current and hopefully future CM out next week too so plenty of questions to ask...
As it stands the SNCOs joining at T3 isn’t confirmed yet.

ALL ex-serving (aside from WOs) will skip T1, as T1 essentially mimics Halton/Pirbright/Raleigh etc. once you remove grad-prep, AT and the like, RTS is more or less 6 weeks.
Original post by NotAVegan
As it stands the SNCOs joining at T3 isn’t confirmed yet.

ALL ex-serving (aside from WOs) will skip T1, as T1 essentially mimics Halton/Pirbright/Raleigh etc. once you remove grad-prep, AT and the like, RTS is more or less 6 weeks.

Thanks for that, it's going to be a case of wait to see when dates/plans are released from Cranwell and what I end up. Best thing is I have my offer of a course! Thanks for all the comments so far.

Quick Reply

Latest