Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
As a head's up to those going down the officer route...

Was talking to a few old colleagues at the weekend, including my old IOT flight commander, as well as a few very recently graduated officers; there are changes afoot to IOT.

Not sure exactly when they kick in, but it's moving to FOUR terms of SIX weeks apiece.

This gives them a one size course that allows all the different types of joiners to get involved.

Starting on day one term one would be all the direct entrants.
Starting on day one term two would be all the JNCO and below ex-rankers.
Starting on day one term three would be the SNCO ex-rankers.
And starting in term four would be the WO ex-rankers (though this one might not be on day one, as the old WO commissioning course was just one week long iirc).

So the SERE separate course is no more.

Also, Ex Vital Edge will be removed from the course.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Standby for mass commissions! Any idea when this starts?
Drewski
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlphaTango)
Standby for mass commissions! Any idea when this starts?
Quantity wouldn't be any different. It's just how they enter the course that's changing.

And no. Next year at some point.
Fast74
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Quantity wouldn't be any different. It's just how they enter the course that's changing.

This is good gen. At the moment the new course is fragged to commence in August 20 - at the moment!
EconWarrior
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Negative. More will go through each year.
Drewski
Rep:
?
(Original post by EconWarrior)
Negative. More will go through each year.
No, I meant that no more would go through than would anyway, unlike AT's suggestion of 'mass commissions'. The rationalising of the various IOT courses (IOT, SERE, WO) doesn't mean there'll be more than before, it'll just be easier to administer.

The most recent IOT had ~100 on it, mine had 150, so numbers aren't really that much of a drastic change, barring natural fluctuations.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, I meant that no more would go through than would anyway, unlike AT's suggestion of 'mass commissions'. The rationalising of the various IOT courses (IOT, SERE, WO) doesn't mean there'll be more than before, it'll just be easier to administer.

The most recent IOT had ~100 on it, mine had 150, so numbers aren't really that much of a drastic change, barring natural fluctuations.
I just mean I know a lot of individuals who are considering the application, when IOT reduced to 24 weeks they were more interested. Now if it’s only 6/12 weeks I can see that being the clincher to apply. Though 60% of my IOT were already ex serving!
Drewski
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlphaTango)
I just mean I know a lot of individuals who are considering the application, when IOT reduced to 24 weeks they were more interested. Now if it’s only 6/12 weeks I can see that being the clincher to apply. Though 60% of my IOT were already ex serving!
Manning will still have a certain throughput target though, so it won't alter too much.

They need x number of non graduate DEs to enter at 18 alongside y number of graduate 21 year olds along with z number of ex-rankers of 23+ to ensure whatever branch has a good officer cadre and the branch can sustain itself.

More being interested doesn't mean more will get through.
Last edited by Drewski; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (57)
18.94%
Unconditional if firmed (24)
7.97%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.66%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (9)
2.99%
No unconditional offers (209)
69.44%

Watched Threads