6A*AT GCSE - Fact or Myth Watch

rapha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is it really true that you need 6A* to do Economics at LSE? I read that in two different forums.
FTC199
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i have no idea but there are 2 other threads on the same thing floating out there this morning
rapha
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by FTC199)
i have no idea but there are 2 other threads on the same thing floating out there this morning
Yh, I knw. But I asked it on one of them but no-one repplied...
rarara2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've read about this on a lot of other threads, and 6A*s seems to be the general minimum. LSE pay a lot of attention to gcse grades but if you have less than 6, that doesn't mean you don't have a chance, just a lower chance. If you go to a bad school and have slightly worse grades then they'll take that into account.
DannyBoy123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's generally considered as 8 but there is no hard and fast rule about it. Do a search - this topic has been done to death.
The Dark Side
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think no one really knows. It is like an urban myth.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It may be true, but it's abhorrently pathetic. It in no way sifts the better candidates; only those who have 6 A*s at GCSE, and I presume that the correlation isn't that significant.
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I heard it was 8 A* for economics
The Dark Side
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wonder if anyone wrote to the admissions tutors asking about this
rainbow drops
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
seems like a fact to me, i thought it was more than 6 actually. i doubt it's something that the admissions tutors would openly admit if you were to ask, but the LSE do seem to discriminate heavily on the basis of A* at GCSE.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've always doubted this. I'm sure they probably look for a high number of A*s, just like Durham do with a couple of courses, but there's no strict number. It can vary slightly year on year. Four one year, maybe seven the next depending on qualty of applicants.
Lothar Warlock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a decent estimate. For example, our HE officer said don't apply to Oxbridge unless you have 6A*. So I guess the 6A* "myth" means if you don't have it, it isn't worth wasting a space on LSE for Economics I suppose. Although you really could try, but expect a rejection.
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In fact, no matter how good your A*'s for GCSE or A's for A-levels are, you should "expect" a rejection anyway.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lothar Warlock)
It's a decent estimate. For example, our HE officer said don't apply to Oxbridge unless you have 6A*. So I guess the 6A* "myth" means if you don't have it, it isn't worth wasting a space on LSE for Economics I suppose. Although you really could try, but expect a rejection.
Your HE officer doesn't know what he's talking about. As has been mentioned before Oxbridge don't really look at GCSEs, not for most courses.

I know a number of people at Cambridge, one person at Oxford. True most of them have 8-10 A*s but one only has four, the other only two.
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Your HE officer doesn't know what he's talking about. As has been mentioned before Oxbridge don't really look at GCSEs, not for most courses.

I know a number of people at Cambridge, one person at Oxford. True most of them have 8-10 A*s but one only has four, the other only two.
Yes I know what you're conveying is true but you don't have to be so critical. Our HE officers are just very careful, that's all. And yes they do look at your GCSEs, as an Oxford spokesperson said, but didn't say "how good" your GCSEs have to be. You shouldn't just say my HE officer doesn't know what he's talking about out of the blue.. he's very experienced in this sort of field.
DoMakeSayThink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes I know what you're conveying is true but you don't have to be so critical. Our HE officers are just very careful, that's all. And yes they do look at your GCSEs, as an Oxford spokesperson said, but didn't say "how good" your GCSEs have to be. You shouldn't just say my HE officer doesn't know what he's talking about out of the blue.. he's very experienced in this sort of field.
I don't think the criticism is so undeserved. Putting off those intelligent students who didn't work hard or for some other reason didn't do well at GCSE isn't the sort of behaviour that I would desire in an HE officer. Nor is it something that Oxbridge wish to encourage, supposedly.

Oh, and re: Durham's policy, I got an offer from Durham having only one A* at GCSE.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the criticism was warranted. Your HE officer could be discouraging people who have a good chance of getting into Oxbridge. What he said is, quite frankly, rubbish.

It's a bit like some teachers in state schools telling bright and talented pupils not to apply to Oxbridge. The teachers have low expectations and transfer that to the students. The student, discouraged, then misses out on a valuable opportunity. You never know unless you apply.

Also Oxbridge don't look at GCSEs, they certainly don't expect them to be fantastic. I've spoken to Oxbridge admissions tutors for a number of years, including the year of my uni applications, that they were turning away from them as they'd lost respect for them. It's possibly true that they wouldn't take to kindly to a student with Ds and Es but you certainly don't need straight As and A*s, let alone 6A*s.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
Oh, and re: Durham's policy, I got an offer from Durham having only one A* at GCSE.
I didn't say it was for every course, just a handful (so a minority). I got onto philosophy with only 3. The history department is the only department who are actually upfront about it and ask for a high number. The other department that may have this policy is English. Law probably don't as they have the LNAT.
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
I think the criticism was warranted. Your HE officer could be discouraging people who have a good chance of getting into Oxbridge. What he said is, quite frankly, rubbish.

It's a bit like some teachers in state schools telling bright and talented pupils not to apply to Oxbridge. The teachers have low expectations and transfer that to the students. The student, discouraged, then misses out on a valuable opportunity. You never know unless you apply.

Also Oxbridge don't look at GCSEs, they certainly don't expect them to be fantastic. I've spoken to Oxbridge admissions tutors for a number of years, including the year of my uni applications, that they were turning away from them as they'd lost respect for them. It's possibly true that they wouldn't take to kindly to a student with Ds and Es but you certainly don't need straight As and A*s, let alone 6A*s.
How many A*s did you get? Just wondering.

Nvm, just looked at the previous post and you got 3. Did you apply to Oxbridge?
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How many A*s did you get? Just wondering.

Nvm, just looked at the previous post and you got 3. Did you apply to Oxbridge?
I did not apply to Oxbridge, no. As I said in my earlier post though I do know people who got into Oxbridge with less than four. Having said that, the only person to get into Oxbridge in my year and 10, plus 1 A! Although there were plenty of succesful applicants the year above (2001 applicants) who had more modest grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.78%
No - but I will (98)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (606)
47.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise