Science Magazines Watch

linkdapink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I was going to subscribe to New Scientist for my second year at uni, but as my housemate has already subscribed, it would be stupid for us both to have it. What other science "magazines" are good?
Spanky Deluxe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Scientific American?
Sanjetti
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by linkdapink)
I was going to subscribe to New Scientist for my second year at uni, but as my housemate has already subscribed, it would be stupid for us both to have it. What other science "magazines" are good?
Depends what sort of stuff you want I suppose
flexiblefish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
are you after general science or something related to your studies?
linkdapink
Rep:
?
Well I'm not too sure. I do Biomed/Physiology, so what would be recommended for that?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go to the library, everything relavent is subscribed to and its free.
Or sciencedirect online from campus takes you to all the journals you could want
flexiblefish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you could try http://www.popsci.com/ for popular science articles.

but really either join an academic society like http://www.bmes.org/ and get their journals and newsletters and you can say you have been elected to an academic society.

but otherwise, just do not bother
Spanky Deluxe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by flexiblefish)
you could try http://www.popsci.com/ for popular science articles.

but really either join an academic society like http://www.bmes.org/ and get their journals and newsletters and you can say you have been elected to an academic society.

but otherwise, just do not bother
Yeah, signing up for academic societies isn't a bad idea. You get cheap as chips rates as a full time student, regular newsletters/magazines and you're the first to know about things like special regional lectures, studentships etc. Once you've graduated you get some extra fancy letters to put behind your name most of the time too, in case you want to write some arsey formal complaint letters to your local council/BT/gas supplier/laundrette.
linkdapink
Rep:
?
Hahah.... laundrette?!
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Science, nature? You can get them at your university library. Nature is particularly good, you get lots of soft journalism as well as proper scientific articles, Science is more heavy on the science as it were.
Speedbird2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You'd (presumably) be better off reading journals as supposed to magazines OP, if you're at undergraduate level...
linkdapink
Rep:
?
Just wanted to say that I do read some journals for projects etc (I know, I should probably read more) but I just wanted something that was maybe a bit "lighter" - is this the case? God, I have no idea how the hell I got to this course!
Spanky Deluxe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest, I don't know anyone that reads journals for the fun of it. I prefer to read New Scientist because I like the level its at, its an enjoyable read. Scientific American is a good read too although you can't get the same excellent student discount as you can get with NS.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nature is good as it is for scientists not the layperson with an interest in science (which is the market for New Scientist and Scientific American), but it contains commentary and easy to understand introductions to certain key papers. It also has, by and large, excellent science in it and it is broad (unlike most other journals or learned society magazines) so you might just learn something interesting from another discipline. Also, it's free (usually) if you are at a decent university.
sammy812
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get the German verison of the Scientific American which is really nice. It has all sorts of different subject areas which means I have a more genenral science background too. It starts with short (two paragraphs or so) articles about recent stuff and then there's in depth articles about a few topics. I luff it.
shootbangfire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Does anyone know where you can buy Nature?

I've had a subscription to NewSci to about a year, and want to get something that's a) slightly more biology-orientated and b) slightly higher level. But not too high. Anyone got any recommendations?
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shootbangfire)
www.nature.com - you have to have a subscription.
Megastar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shootbangfire)

I've had a subscription to NewSci to about a year, and want to get something that's a) slightly more biology-orientated and b) slightly higher level. But not too high. Anyone got any recommendations?
I'm not sure if this applies nationwide, but my local Borders store usually has 2-3 copies each week. If yours doesn't, you could ask them to order one in to see if you like it before subscribing.

For a much lighter read, you could try BBC Focus Magazine. It's definitely for the layman with not much idea about science, but for a quick read it's occasionally worth a look.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads