TheKitty.x
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello, I'm an Italian citizen but I was not in an european country 3 years prior for my course start date in Uni. I have currently been in UK for 13 months. Since I'm still unemployed, how can I clan for student finance?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your eligibility depends on where you where, why you were there and where you lived prior to moving outside the EU. If you can prove that your stay was temporary then your "ordinary residence" would stay as the country you lived in before the move.
SFE Tegan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MichelleW98)
Hello, I'm an Italian citizen but I was not in an european country 3 years prior for my course start date in Uni. I have currently been in UK for 13 months. Since I'm still unemployed, how can I clan for student finance?
Hi Michelle,

Where were you living before you moved to the UK? Had you lived there for your full life?
Do you want to apply as an undergraduate or postgraduate student?
Thanks, Tégan
TheKitty.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Tegan)
Hi Michelle,

Where were you living before you moved to the UK? Had you lived there for your full life?
Do you want to apply as an undergraduate or postgraduate student?
Thanks, Tégan
Hello Tégan, I'm an Italian citizen but I was not in an EU country 3 years prior for the course start date. I'm an undergraduate student. I was in my country with an Italian registration called AIRE meaning the Registry of Italians Residing Abroad. It's essential for all Italian citizens who transfer their residency abroad for a period of at least or over 12 months. I don't know if I'm entitled to despite I have been away from Italy with this AIRE registration. I did enquiries but I didn't get any response.
SFE Tegan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, Can you confirm which country you were in and when you moved there? Were you born in Italy?

Thanks, Tégan
TheKitty.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Tegan)
Hi, Can you confirm which country you were in and when you moved there? Were you born in Italy?

Thanks, Tégan
I was born and raised in Italy, then I went to Sri Lanka from 2010 to 2018
SFE Tegan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay, were you in Sri Lanka on a temporary basis? For example, were you or your parents working there on temporary contracts? Thanks, Tégan
TheKitty.x
Rep:
?
Hello Tégan, I was in Sri Lanka with my mom only and she never worked in Sri Lanka, and my dad was the only one working in Italy.
SFE Ashley
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TheKitty.x)
Hello Tégan, I was in Sri Lanka with my mom only and she never worked in Sri Lanka, and my dad was the only one working in Italy.
Hi there,

If you are not able to prove that you were living in Sri Lanka on a temporary basis you will not be eligible for funding.

Thanks, Ashley.
TheKitty.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Ashley)
Hi there,

If you are not able to prove that you were living in Sri Lanka on a temporary basis you will not be eligible for funding.

Thanks, Ashley.
Hello Ashley, how can I prove that I was in Sri Lanka for some couples of years? Would any bills or college certificates
would be necessary? Because I was in Sri lanka to do my O Levels and the foundation to come UK.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello Ashley, how can I prove that I was in Sri Lanka for some couples of years? Would any bills or college certificates
would be necessary? Because I was in Sri lanka to do my O Levels and the foundation to come UK.
It would make more sense for you to call UKCISA on their advice line https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice to ask about this. They're experts in the regulations and will be able to talk you through the information and evidence that might be required.
SFE Ashley
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Evidence that you were living in Sri Lanka on a temporary basis could be things like:
-Temporary visas
-Temporary work contracts
-Evidence to show that you have maintained a link with Italy, eg bank statements

Thanks, Ashley.
TheKitty.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
It would make more sense for you to call UKCISA on their advice line https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice to ask about this. They're experts in the regulations and will be able to talk you through the information and evidence that might be required.
Thank you so much for the information!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (142)
18.83%
Labour (322)
42.71%
Liberal Democrats (153)
20.29%
Green Party (41)
5.44%
Brexit Party (21)
2.79%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.27%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.8%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)