How big is the gap between the Prem and lower leagues? Watch

Zeetingman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
It was non-league day not too long ago and I had a debate with someone who said the gap between the premier league and non-league football isn't as big as we think it is. I'm conflicted on one hand I've seen man city beat Burton 9-0 but then i've seen players like Ali, Vardy and Kante come from lower divisions and boss it in the premier league. I personally know guys who were in the under 21s of premier league sides and now they're playing in the national league. Is the level required for the prem that high or is it due to not being given a chance at prem level to prove themselves?
Vexper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's Grand Canyon sized. From a non-footballing perspective that is easier to explain, you think about football gambling for a moment. The bookies know everything when it comes to odds to winning, whenever they get a sniff of a prem team fielding a proper side against lower league you can't put anything on them for a decent return. They've got an absolute wealth of stats at their fingertips to determine this.

There's also mindset too, you see a lot of lower league teams come into games with either two mentalities;

- shut up shop, 11 men behind ball, a victory is actually not conceding 10 goals.

- lets 'ave em lads, play a high line, try and attack but forget that premium european defensive midfielders break up play quickly and distribute straight to counter. They get exposed defensively very fast and hemorrhage goals due to this.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Zeetingman)
It was non-league day not too long ago and I had a debate with someone who said the gap between the premier league and non-league football isn't as big as we think it is. I'm conflicted on one hand I've seen man city beat Burton 9-0 but then i've seen players like Ali, Vardy and Kante come from lower divisions and boss it in the premier league. I personally know guys who were in the under 21s of premier league sides and now they're playing in the national league. Is the level required for the prem that high or is it due to not being given a chance at prem level to prove themselves?
Burton aren't non league, they were in the Championship until May 2018!

It doesn't surprise me that you know people in that situation because the success rate for making it is absolutely tiny - we're talking 1%. Even taking my own club Manchester United, the lower leagues are absolutely littered with our former academy players who weren't good enough for us but have made respectable careers elsewhere. Some of them make their way back up. Vardy for example was released by Sheffield Wednesday.
Zeetingman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sr90)
Burton aren't non league, they were in the Championship until May 2018!

It doesn't surprise me that you know people in that situation because the success rate for making it is absolutely tiny - we're talking 1%. Even taking my own club Manchester United, the lower leagues are absolutely littered with our former academy players who weren't good enough for us but have made respectable careers elsewhere. Some of them make their way back up. Vardy for example was released by Sheffield Wednesday.
What qualities separate a standard lower league footballer to an established premier league footballer? I guess I want to understand how quality works in football.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (16)
27.59%
Spring (12)
20.69%
Autumn/Fall (15)
25.86%
Winter (8)
13.79%
I love them all equally (7)
12.07%