The Student Room Group

Reactions of benzene

When benzene reacts with something, how do you know what position it will take on the benzene ring? e.g. if we add excess NO2+ to benzene does it go in the 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 positions on the ring? And does the positioning change if there's a group already on the ring? e.g. methylbenzene or phenol.
Reply 1
Original post by sam72016
When benzene reacts with something, how do you know what position it will take on the benzene ring? e.g. if we add excess NO2+ to benzene does it go in the 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 positions on the ring? And does the positioning change if there's a group already on the ring? e.g. methylbenzene or phenol.

Plain benzene will nitrate at any position, since all positions are identical.

If you have groups already attached, then they will direct substitution reactions, depending on the e- donating or withdrawing effects.

What spec are you?
Electron donating groups are ortho-/para-directing and electron withdrawing groups are meta-directing.
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster
If you have groups already attached, then they will direct substitution reactions, depending on the e- donating or withdrawing effects.

What spec are you?

Sorry I forgot to mention, A level OCR A. What does that explanation mean?
Nitrobenzene substitutes to 3 and 5 positions (electron withdrawing group)
Phenol and phenylamine substitute to 2 and 4 positions (electron donating group)
If it’s just a benzene on its own it will substitute anywhere
I’m on the same spec , OCR A
Reply 5
Original post by WillJabine
Nitrobenzene substitutes to 3 and 5 positions (electron withdrawing group)
Phenol and phenylamine substitute to 2 and 4 positions (electron donating group)
If it’s just a benzene on its own it will substitute anywhere
I’m on the same spec , OCR A

Oh ok cheers, what if it was something else like methylbenzene? Would it not make a difference
Reply 6
Oh ok cheers, what if it was something else like methylbenzene? Would it not make a difference

The only three directing groups that are on the spec are -OH, -NH2 and -NO2. There are lots of other groups, but you don't need to recall any others and their effects.

It is possibly they could show you a reaction, e.g. methylbenzene to 2-nitromethylbenzene and ask you to explain whether the methyl group is e- donating or withdrawing.

And your answer would be?
Reply 7
Would it be electron drawing because the C is partially positive ? I thought the N in NO2 and O in OH are both electronegative so wouldn't they both be electron donating ?
Would it be electron drawing because the C is partially positive ? I thought the N in NO2 and O in OH are both electronegative so wouldn't they both be electron donating ?

Methyl groups are electron donating (hyperconjugation) as is OH due to oxygen’s lone pair, but NO2 is electron withdrawing.
Reply 9
But N in NO2 has an electron pair as well doesn't it? Why can't it donate that
But N in NO2 has an electron pair as well doesn't it? Why can't it donate that

The N is attached to one oxygen via a double bond, effectively making it an electron sink. So if you were to draw the resonance form, the N would be positively charged and it would be bound to 2 O-negative via single bonds.
Reply 11
So if the oxygen is negative why doesn't the oxygen donate electrons?
So if the oxygen is negative why doesn't the oxygen donate electrons?

First, the oxygen isn’t directly attached to the ring and in NO2 it’s inductively electron withdrawing.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest