The Student Room Group

Maths Question - Series 🥴

For what value of n does the series fall short of -50?

(summation) 40 - 7n (n=1 to infinity)

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just incase my layout of the question is not understandable.
Reply 2
Original post by badmathkid
Just incase my layout of the question is not understandable.

Wow that is an extremely badly worded question! Do you understand what they are asking or is that your question (I'm hoping that I know what they mean :smile:)? If you understand it, please show us what you've tried.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
@RDKGames I assume they're basically asking for how many terms of the series you need to sum before reaching -50. Is that how you interpret it?
Reply 4
Original post by Sir Cumference
Wow that is an extremely badly worded question! Do you understand what they are asking or is that your question (I'm hoping that I know what they mean!)? If you understand it, please show us what you've tried.

That's what I thought. I don't think I understand the question anymore after I tried two different methods of this and ended up with a negative value of n.

I first tried finding the first term (a) and the common difference (d). I then used the arithmetic formula and subbed in -50 for the value of (Un) along with (a) and (d). This gave me an answer of -76/7.

I then tried using the arithmetic sum formula and used the same values for (a) and (d) as above but instead subbed (Sn) as -50. I got a weird quadratic which gave me both negative values of n. 🤯
For what value of n does the series fall short of -50?

(summation) 40 - 7n (n=1 to infinity)

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :smile:

this question is just completely wrong, I understand what its trying to ask but its just so wrong.
The n should be replaced with r and the infinity should be replaced with n.
@RDKGames I assume they're basically asking for how many terms of the series you need to sum before reaching -50. Is that how you interpret it?

Whoever wrote this question needs to be arrested. Thats how I'd interpret it.

Obviously this is not a finite sum and has no convergence, so it must be asking for the number of terms needed to get the partial sum close to -50.
Reply 7
Phew, I thought I was the problem here. 😅
Reply 8

Where did you get the question from out of interest?

I've worked it out how the question should be asked, do you want the solution or do you want to try it out?
Original post by RDKGames
Whoever wrote this question needs to be arrested. Thats how I'd interpret it.

Obviously this is not a finite sum and has no convergence, so it must be asking for the number of terms needed to get the partial sum close to -50.

Would the answer be 12 terms?
Where did you get the question from out of interest?

My lecturer for Mathematics apparently.
Reply 12
My lecturer for Mathematics apparently.

Uh oh that’s not a good sign :lol:
Original post by yankang.qi
I've worked it out how the question should be asked, do you want the solution or do you want to try it out?

Thank you for your help. Would you provide me with solution? I've been trying this for a while now and it's doing my head in. :colonhash:
Uh oh that’s not a good sign :lol:

Ikr! :cry2:
Thank you for your help. Would you provide me with solution? I've been trying this for a while now and it's doing my head in. :colonhash:

no problem :smile:
IMG_0839.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG

Wow this makes so much sense! Thanks a million! :five:
Wow this makes so much sense! Thanks a million! :five:

No problemo :smile:
IMG_0839.JPG

n=12 comes closer to -50 than n=11 at n=11 you get -22 total at n=12 you get -66 total. -66 is closer to -50 than -22 so wouldn’t n=12 be the answer?
It says “fall short of” so wouldn’t it want an answer thats smaller than -50 and closest which would be -66 when n=12
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by BrandonS15
n=12 comes closer to -50 than n=11 at n=11 you get -22 total at n=12 you get -66 total. -66 is closer to -50 than -22 so wouldn’t n=12 be the answer?

Yea I was thinking about that, but it does say that it falls short of -50. I interpreted that as not reaching -50, -66 would be beyond -50 and therefore wouldn't be falling short.

Quick Reply

Latest