Danstar33
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
hey guys, first post here.

I need to up my grade in gcse physics as I scored a D back in high school, however now going into the RAF as techy and need a C or above. (originally took triple science)

I am looking at doing all the revision myself, text books and past papers etc. But I am stuck on what the exam will consist of. Will I need to conduct practical experiments or is it just the written paper I will need to do?
If anyone can shed any light on this it would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Looking at the examboard you doing specification on their website will show you what the exam consist of. I think you do need to do so since they’re required practicals but idk too much about it.
WillPhillips
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Required practicals are only assessed in the exam, so there is no requirement to conduct them yourself. You should be able to watch the required practicals online and read about them in revision guides. If you follow AQA, paper one will consist of the first half of the topics (1-4 if I remember) and paper 2 will be the rest. You will be required to remember approximately 20-25 different formulae that can be applied to specific situations. If you neglect to do this it will be extremely challenging to attain a pass.
Danstar33
Rep:
?
(Original post by WillPhillips)
Required practicals are only assessed in the exam, so there is no requirement to conduct them yourself. You should be able to watch the required practicals online and read about them in revision guides. If you follow AQA, paper one will consist of the first half of the topics (1-4 if I remember) and paper 2 will be the rest. You will be required to remember approximately 20-25 different formulae that can be applied to specific situations. If you neglect to do this it will be extremely challenging to attain a pass.
Thanks Will, I can appreciate remembering the formulae is gravely important. I'm a bit more mature now than I was in school, so hopefully ill be more inclined to remember it.

Thanks for the heads up on the practical lessons. Have you any advice on booking into a test centre to retake the exam or any associated costs that will be involved?

Thanks again.
Danstar33
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Looking at the examboard you doing specification on their website will show you what the exam consist of. I think you do need to do so since they’re required practicals but idk too much about it.
Thanks for the info I think I'll be going with AQA. I'll try and do some digging. Thanks
Stanzz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You don't need to do the required practicals, you can watch videos on them (freesciencelessons is always a good choice). Also, memorize all of your equations, they make up something like 20-30% of your exam.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Contrary to all the advice, you do need to do the required practicals - at least the centre that enters you has to complete paperwork guaranteeing that you have done them. As few centres are willing to risk their reputation with the exam board by lying you will struggle to find a centre that will accept you. The alternative is to take IGCSE Physics https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...sics-2017.html which has no such requirement. It is equivalent to GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (60)
18.46%
Labour (130)
40%
Liberal Democrats (67)
20.62%
Green Party (25)
7.69%
Brexit Party (10)
3.08%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.23%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.54%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)