Help me find a driver please Watch

the_fredster_001
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

I bought Gears of War for my laptop. It says that I need to update my Graphics Card Driver to this: NVIDIA ForceWare 163.44 Driver or later. GOW runs but keeps crashing without it (v annoying).

I have this laptop: HP Pavillion DV600, running XP Media Centre Edition (Service Pack 3).

I have this graphics card NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400.

On the Nvidia website it says "go to the hp website"
I couldn't find it on the HP website so i emailled them.
4 emails later they have managed to link me to update files but only to version 80 something. They also suggested windows update - but this thinks I already have the latest driver.

Please help me out guys (and girls).
I will rep the first person who can tell me where to find this driver or above that actually works.

Thanks in advance...
Y__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you tried that one?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.21_whql.html

It doesn't specifically say that it works for the Go 7400, but I can't see why it shouldn't.
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by the_fredster_001)
Hi,

I bought Gears of War for my laptop. It says that I need to update my Graphics Card Driver to this: NVIDIA ForceWare 163.44 Driver or later. GOW runs but keeps crashing without it (v annoying).

I have this laptop: HP Pavillion DV600, running XP Media Centre Edition (Service Pack 3).

I have this graphics card NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400.

On the Nvidia website it says "go to the hp website"
I couldn't find it on the HP website so i emailled them.
4 emails later they have managed to link me to update files but only to version 80 something. They also suggested windows update - but this thinks I already have the latest driver.

Please help me out guys (and girls).
I will rep the first person who can tell me where to find this driver or above that actually works.

Thanks in advance...
http://www.gamershell.com/news_41037.html
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You have a laptop. Nvidia are rubbish at updating their laptop drivers, they leave it to the laptop manufacturers. HP tend not to update their drivers. It's entirely possible you will not be able to update your drivers properly, but there are other ways to do it.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ will have the driver you need, but because it's been modified a certain way, you have to download the driver and extract it somewhere, then download the 'INF' and copy the INFs you downloaded into the extracted driver folder, replacing the originals with the modified ones. then you use Device manage to update the driver and find the folder where you extracted it.

I'll make a more detailed guide in a sec, but that should be enough to get you on the right track =)
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
http://www.gamershell.com/news_41037.html
you linked to something mentioning a Geforce 8400. first, that's not the 7400. second, it's not a GeForce Go.

Oops?
the_fredster_001
thanks for the help,

the first two answers, Y___ and Jermain, didn't work. The program says it cannot find the correct hardware to update :-(

Oli - I don't understand the website you linked me to...

Any other ideas ???????
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
right, i'll try and help you a bit more.

*goes to investigate*

EDIT: ok, go to http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers , then click the arrow under the download heading of the driver at the top of the list. once downloaded, run the exe.

second, where it says INF two columns across, right-click and 'save file as' to somewhere memorable.

then copy the INF you just downloaded into the folder that was made by running the exe.

once you've done that, we can get onto the next bit. =)
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Disclaimer regarding all my posts:

you're used a modded INF to force a desktop driver on a mobile GPU. if you really, really want to continue, do so, but you may have to go into safe mode and roll back to previous drivers if it goes wrong, and it can rather easily go wrong.
the_fredster_001
(Original post by olileauk)
right, i'll try and help you a bit more.

*goes to investigate*

EDIT: ok, go to http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers , then click the arrow under the download heading of the driver at the top of the list. once downloaded, run the exe.

second, where it says INF two columns across, right-click and 'save file as' to somewhere memorable.

then copy the INF you just downloaded into the folder that was made by running the exe.

once you've done that, we can get onto the next bit. =)
Well i've downloaded the exe and saved the INF.

Before i run it, what exactly are INF's?
Also it doesn't say Nvidia anywhere, is this 3rd party software or something?

Thanks
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
like i said above, this is a modded driver. you cannot get laptop drivers, so those guys take desktop drivers and modify them. it's not official, it's not supported, and neither nVidia or HP will help you if it goes wrong.

the INF is a driver file. The exe takes the desktop driver and extracts to to a folder, allowing you to replace the INF (which is suitable for desktop cards) with the new one (which forces it to work on laptops).
the_fredster_001
(Original post by olileauk)
like i said above, this is a modded driver. you cannot get laptop drivers, so those guys take desktop drivers and modify them. it's not official, it's not supported, and neither nVidia or HP will help you if it goes wrong.

the INF is a driver file. The exe takes the desktop driver and extracts to to a folder, allowing you to replace the INF (which is suitable for desktop cards) with the new one (which forces it to work on laptops).

It worked great. Thanks for you help (I repped you) :-):tsr2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (535)
37.84%
No - but I will (110)
7.78%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.79%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (673)
47.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise