The Student Room Group

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

This poll is closed

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes 27%
No73%
Total votes: 886
We asked you if you who you would turn to if you were being bullied a few weeks back, and only 6% of you said you would turn to your teacher first.

If you had the option, would you or would you not turn to your teacher to talk to them about being bullied, even if you had spoken to other people? Let us know your thoughts 😊
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No. The teachers are absolutely useless when trying to 'solve/insert' themselves in the situations. You might as well just sort the situation on your own, no need in getting third parties involved.
Reply 2
No
I would turn to physical violence. It's the only language bullies understand.
No because it doesnt work. Bullies only understand one thing.Why do you think they never go after someone bigger than them? They're cowards - the lot of them. I'd always stand up to bullies myself and when I see bullying at school because I cant stand bullies, whatever form its taking.

Example: A friend at school was getting bullied and went to teacher etc and did it all the 'right way' - didnt work. They only stopped after he snapped and decked one of them.
(edited 4 years ago)
No. Teachers are spread too thin as it is. They don't do anything about it but it's not because they don't care, they just don't have the resources or time to care. Teaching is a stressful job and at the end of the day, which one matters more: Making sure you can correctly do your job next period, or dealing with a person who's going to deny everything and maybe even claim the complete opposite, thus making it an unwinnable situation and all the more stressful?

At the end of the day, the only thing that's going to stop a bully from bullying you is fighting back, whether that be physically or verbally. If you fight back and the 'bully' still continues, then you're doing something to annoy the 'bully' and they aren't actually a bully. Whether their actions towards you are justified or not is another matter. Children and even adults are mislabelled as bullies constantly. The word 'bully' has zero meaning, it's a word that holds no context. You can describe whatever you want as bullying, and people will believe you even if it isn't bullying. I spent most of my time at school being called a bully by teachers even though I and other people who were also called bullies were just responding to this person AND I had verbally and physically fought with people bigger or older than me multiple times, something a bully would never do. Bullies go after people smaller or weaker than them, either physically or mentally, hide behind rules, skirt around teachers and convince everyone but their victims that they do nothing wrong. If teachers and many students call someone a bully on a regular basis, chances are they aren't a bully. Teachers DON'T KNOW about a bully's behaviour, otherwise they wouldn't allow it to happen. If they claim to know about a bullying behaviour someone apparently is part of, that person is not a bully.

Moral of the story? People teachers usually regard as bullies are not bullies in most cases, and they have it completely wrong.

Back to the question, like I said at the beginning, no. I don't get bullied because I don't allow it to happen.
No. Nada. Nay.

Current teacher is a pervert
Doesn’t care
Useless

And here we have the reasons why!
Teachers aren't effectively trained to deal with bullying. It always seems like they're interfering rather that helping.
my RE teacher 100% Mrs N is a ghee
Well yeah
I got pushed down stairs once
Wish I had done that—I was too young to think of that :/
I’ve been hacked by a classmate once too
I hacked him back
Depends. Avoided multiple confrontations, because it's simply not worth getting it on my record. I did get into one fight in Year 11 though (some guy who was like Year 9 who was with his friends), and I was told it would not go onto my record since it's only one fight. Now, I don't intend to turn this into a blogpost, but yeah. I was friends with the Principle of Wellbeing (on a personal level) and said I did it, and felt ****ty for doing so (Guy & Friends. Co were being a pain on the school bus, I had a bad temper at the time, so it lead to that).

Overall? I'd do it again. Holy ****, the reputation and relation gains were insane: and I was already doing pretty well for myself in those terms. It stopped myself from being bullied as well as going out of my way to stop having more confrontations.

In general, fights are always going to happen. The current schemes in place are very weak, and highly untrustworthy. Should you fight it out? Sure, go ahead. I don't care; just don't lose.
Teacher can't really do anything to put a stop to it and schools are too reluctant to put in place hard measures to put a stop to it.

If someone is being a bully they should get warned then expelled. But that is not what happens. It can go on years of the school warning and never putting their foot down.

Zero tolerance only works if it actually happens.
Reply 12
if you get teachers involved it will make the stituation worse bullies would get more aggrivated and want to make fun of you and call you a snake
No. Teachers are absolutely useless in these situations. They never understand what bullies are like and whenever they try and help, it never works and most of the time, the situation worsens. Plus, I don't know about other people's schools but for mine, even if you ask them to keep it as a "small" situation and not to make a big deal out of it, it is more probable that somehow, someway, everyone in the school ends up knowing about the problem - even the people you don't know. It is unbelievable the little care some schools (specifically teachers and some adults) put into these issues.
I would like to ensure that the bully gets rusticated by the proctor after that
Reply 15
Only if it was a teacher I felt I could trust in particular.
Primary School - Probably

Secondary - God no, they aren't in a position to really deal with it, and I suspect many will be aware they can also be targeted for bullying (seen 2 teachers get their houses/cars smashed up, and there's nothing they could really do)

Not to mention some of them come out with utter nonsense "You should ignore the bullies! they're BAD!'

"I can't ignore them...there's 6 standing outside the gate, pointing and grinning, that ones swinging a chain,..."

Or the joys of an old fashioned teacher who blusters 'Hit the bully back! give them what for!" without actually thinking it through or following up, then you find out the 12 year old lashed out at a bunch of older kids and got utterly broken...when they really should have been trying to descalate or simply run.
Original post by Anonymous
No. The teachers are absolutely useless when trying to 'solve/insert' themselves in the situations. You might as well just sort the situation on your own, no need in getting third parties involved.

An an ex-teacher, I can also say that we need to insert ourselves into one more student drama like we need a hole in the head on top of you know, actually teaching students and getting on top of the admin.
I would also like to instruct the Admission Committee to never consider such a bully for admission to prevent any such incident.
I think the last time I actually told on a teacher about bullies was year 7 (this was after A LOT of name calling and some physical violence, one incident involving pushing me into a wall so hard I fell down). There was a 'meeting', bullies promised they wouldn't do it again long story short they did until I moved schools the next year. From then on I would just deal with any potential bullies myself (including stabbing someone with a pen and outright fighting someone in year 8 lol). The thing is teachers can't really stop bullies, especially if they don't care about being punished, from my experience. The way I dealt with it was being overly aggressive towards anyone making fun of me (didn't end well people thought I was a *****) and fighting back for myself (verbally and sometimes physically). But to me, snitching to the teachers never seems to end well.

Latest