Kittynizzles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm looking to study Midwifery full time from 2020 as a second degree.

I know I get the tuition fees from SFE as it is on the exemption list, but do I get the Maintenance Loan as well?

Also, when it comes to applying for student finance, I live with my partner not with my parents - does that count as 'Living at home" or "living away from home".

What income do I put because he will be working but I won't be during the degree - or at least only part time. If I put both our current incomes it gives a maintenance loan of Xamount, but if I put just his it gives a lot more!

Many thanks
Last edited by Kittynizzles; 3 weeks ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes - midwifery gets full funding (tuition fee loan and living costs loan) as a second degree.

How old are you? If you're classed as independent and not married then my understanding is that your household income is based on your income alone (unearned income - so not part time earnings).
Kittynizzles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
Yes - midwifery gets full funding (tuition fee loan and living costs loan) as a second degree.

How old are you? If you're classed as independent and not married then my understanding is that your household income is based on your income alone (unearned income - so not part time earnings).
Yay oh I'm glad about the ML, that was worrying me!

I'm 26 and we're not married, but have been together a long time.

So as an independent "single" (in their eyes) person I'd effectively have to state I was earning nothing, even though there is someone with income in the house?
SFE Tegan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kittynizzles)
I'm looking to study Midwifery full time from 2020 as a second degree.

I know I get the tuition fees from SFE as it is on the exemption list, but do I get the Maintenance Loan as well?

Also, when it comes to applying for student finance, I live with my partner not with my parents - does that count as 'Living at home" or "living away from home".

What income do I put because he will be working but I won't be during the degree - or at least only part time. If I put both our current incomes it gives a maintenance loan of Xamount, but if I put just his it gives a lot more!

Many thanks
Hi Kitty,

If your midwifery course is a full time exception you can apply for Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants. If you are over 25 and living with your partner we'll take their income into account rather than your parents. Either way you would be assessed as 'living away from home'.

We would assess his income from the 18/19 tax year and your unearned income from the 20/21 academic year. We wouldn't include your income from part time work.
Thanks, Tégan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (117)
63.59%
No (67)
36.41%

Watched Threads