ella_te_angle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I'm in year 11 and I'm applying to this private school. To enter, you need to sit some examinations in the a-levels that you pick. Here's the problem, I don't know which ones to choose. I know that I'd do art, simply because I need an art scholarship to get in. I also find English super interesting in general, however, I've been advised to not do both English language and literature, as universities find them too similar. I know that I find biology interesting and I would love to continue it, but I'm GOD AWEFUL at math. I'm already doing polish A-levels outside of school so I know I'm only going to do 3 A-levels, but so far I only have two definites ( Art and English lit) and the third one is a mystery. My main inquiry is WHAT ON EARTH WOULD BE A GOOD 3RD A-LEVEL CHOICE NO ONE AROUND ME KNOWS AND I'M TOO EMBARRASSED TO ASK MY TEACHERS (I'd have to explain I want to move schools and I do not want to have to do that.)BTW no I do not know what I want to study at university, or if I'll even go to one AT ALL, but I'd like to go to Oxford or Cambridge. I'm one of those people that's good at everything (except math) but doesn't excel at anything in particular (except English).Please help I need to submit this before the 4th of November and I really want to go to this particular school for personal reasons.
deodar778
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Something you enjoy ? maybe sociology or economics
Last edited by deodar778; 3 weeks ago
ellanewmarch
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
history uses very similar skills to english lit gcse I find, you could also look at politics or sociology as mentioned above. classics is also similar to english lit.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Maybe A level Religious Studies? Extremely interesting and easy as well. It sometimes goes by the name of Religious Studies and Ethics etc. Can't recommend it enough. :rambo:
ella_te_angle
Rep:
?
(Original post by deodar778)
Something you enjoy ? maybe sociology or economics
I already enjoy art and English Literature, English in general I enjoy. What is sociology? Is it similar to psychology?
ella_te_angle
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellanewmarch)
history uses very similar skills to english lit gcse I find, you could also look at politics or sociology as mentioned above. classics is also similar to english lit.
I feel very stupid, but what is classics? The internet is failing me when I googled what is it. In fact, it even came up with a notice on the AQA exam board that they no longer teach or examine it. I am very confused.
ellanewmarch
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ella_te_angle)
I feel very stupid, but what is classics? The internet is failing me when I googled what is it. In fact, it even came up with a notice on the AQA exam board that they no longer teach or examine it. I am very confused.
classical civilisations is the proper name for it. that's strange that aqa says they don't do it any more. it's basically studying texts from ancient Greek and Roman times and stuff like that, if that sounds potentially interesting I'd look at the college website and see if they offer it!
SmolPotato
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It depends if you want to get on a specific course at university. It's usually the grades they look at, but some courses may ask for a specific subject in order to get in. For example: Medicine may ask for Biology or Chemistry as the first subject, a science subject for the second and then any subject with the required grade for the third one. Personally, do what you like, because it's a nightmare doing an A-Level you don't like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (142)
18.83%
Labour (322)
42.71%
Liberal Democrats (153)
20.29%
Green Party (41)
5.44%
Brexit Party (21)
2.79%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.27%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.8%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)